POLL - Cable, Dish, or Direct TV

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POLL - Cable, Dish, or Direct TV

• Total voters

Mesa

Super Freak
Reaction score
Thinking about making the change from Cox cable to maybe Dish, or Direct, for my cable TV needs. Anyone recommend one over the other?

My current cable/internet/land line phone bill is about $165 a month. I was hoping to get that to about $100 if at all possible.

I think you should stay with cox, cause I heard you really like.....:D

I have a 50" Pioneer plasma with an HD TiVo and I have more HD programing than I have time to watch with my OTA.

Free is very very nice... although when I heard that Conan was going to cable I started thinking twice... then I remembered that most of that stuff can be watched on-line. :)

Just watch everything from the internet! I do not bother having cable anymore. I just download or stream anything I want to watch on my cpu. I have my pc hooked up to my 50 inch, it works well. It also keeps me from wasting time and watching garbage out of laziness. If you are a huge sports fan, than this probably isn't the best option, but I can get most games streamed from various sources. I havn't found a show yet that I can not watch from my computer. Those bills really add up over a years time. Maybe I am just cheap. :dunno

Dang it. I meant to vote for bunny ears. If it weren't for my wife and 2 kids insisting on it, I would be cable/satellite free in my house.

Just watch everything from the internet! I do not bother having cable anymore. I just download or stream anything I want to watch on my cpu. I have my pc hooked up to my 50 inch, it works well. It also keeps me from wasting time and watching garbage out of laziness. If you are a huge sports fan, than this probably isn't the best option, but I can get most games streamed from various sources. I havn't found a show yet that I can not watch from my computer. Those bills really add up over a years time. Maybe I am just cheap. :dunno

Isn't a lot of the stuff that's available for free on line kind of sucky quality?

In my experience, Hulu and the like looks less than DVD quality (very blocky) and that's on my little computer monitor. Can't imagine how that would look on 50".

I am guessing there is something I don't know though. :dunno

Thinking about making the change from Cox cable to maybe Dish, or Direct, for my cable TV needs. Anyone recommend one over the other?

My current cable/internet/land line phone bill is about $165 a month. I was hoping to get that to about $100 if at all possible.

I pay $62 a month for Time Warner analog cable. :monkey4

Isn't a lot of the stuff that's available for free on line kind of sucky quality?

In my experience, Hulu and the like looks less than DVD quality (very blocky) and that's on my little computer monitor. Can't imagine how that would look on 50".

I am guessing there is something I don't know though. :dunno

Cable companies right now are fighting about stations showing their programming for free. Not sure how long it's going to last. Since cable has to pay networks for showing programs, they may try and tie this in so they can't show the programs online.

Also, there are some stations who don't show their programming online at all.

I've been thinking about getting a dish, though I've never tried digital cable since I only have small sets right now.

Cable, Dish, Direct are all rip offs.

I wish there was one that you could just pick the channels you want. I don't speak spanish, so why the hell would I want it in one of my packages.

I have cable and love it. My boss had Direct Tv for years and it sucked. There were always problems - if there was a storm, often times she would lose her signal. That's one good thing about cable, I guess - but perhaps it will be better in your area.

Yeah, I'm thinking any satellite service and living where it rains a lot isn't much of an option.

I live in sunny AZ, but still hate having to keep giving my cable company nearly $2000 a year for TV and internet.

My cable package includes HD, 1 HD DVR, and one tier (G4), so no movie channel and no boxes in any other rooms, just basic cable in those. seems expensive. I'm figuring satellitle would be about 1/3 cheaper, but have no idea if it is actually any cheaper.

Problem with cable is when you try and take away options, then you no longer get "combo discounts" and it turns out to be nearly the same price but with less service.

DirecTV is by far the best I have ever had and they have the best HD channels.Had them for about 8 years now, never had a problem with the. Dish sux ass, had it for about 2 years, once out of my contract I dumped their sorry ass. Havent had cable in at least 10+ years so cant really comment on that :dunno

Back