Pax build /w Acrylic doors and Glass Shelves - Finally Finished

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Shaughn , awesome write up and thanks for the tons of info.

I am in the process of ordering the hinge and the custom acrylic doors.

With your provided dimensions, 88¾ x 37¾ x ¼ inches, can I please request for you to help me take a picture of the acrylic overlapping on the frame? I would like to see how many inches is overlaying the top / bottom / sides.

I am wondering if it would be beneficial to overlay it a little more as to provide a tighter seal to minimize gap and dust?

Thanks!

Pax done added 2 hangers underneath for support and is amazing
Can def our
Heavy statues on this now screwed in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

574399a5aad60eb4fe4fcf8c7e39d4f2.jpg
5214414b928c2a4b37a317c6377cfd99.jpg

574399a5aad60eb4fe4fcf8c7e39d4f2.jpg
5214414b928c2a4b37a317c6377cfd99.jpg

wouldn't this mean when you adjust the shelf height, you have to drill into the sides all over again?

I would try to drill a new hole in the center of the hangers so i wouldnt need to drill into the side cabinet and shelf height adjustments would be much easier.

wouldn't this mean when you adjust the shelf height, you have to drill into the sides all over again?

I would try to drill a new hole in the center of the hangers so i wouldnt need to drill into the side cabinet and shelf height adjustments would be much easier.

Well I’ve got about 40inches on each top and bottom I don’t think I’ll ever be moving it

But it’s pretty sturdy and should be able to hold xm pieces or bigger 1/4

Sorry can you elaborate what you mean by drilling into the hangers wouldn’t that be the same thing?

Well I’ve got about 40inches on each top and bottom I don’t think I’ll ever be moving it

But it’s pretty sturdy and should be able to hold xm pieces or bigger 1/4

Sorry can you elaborate what you mean by drilling into the hangers wouldn’t that be the same thing?

Drill a new hole in the middle of the 2 existing holes in the hanger. With this new hole, you can use the existing pre-drilled holes on the cabinet sides to mount the hangers. This will allow you to adjust the shelf height without having to drill into the cabinet sides.

I haven't done this myself, but plan on doing it this weekend. If I get to it this weekend, I'll be sure to post some pictures.

Hey Iamgroot that looks great and nice job using those hangars for added support. Where you drilled those in, is it hollow or is the particle board solid all the way through the wall? I read that the walls were hollow except where the pre-drilled holes were for the shelves.

Asoka05 I dont have any overlap with my doors. When I had them cut, I had them cut to the edge of the opening. If you add a 1/2 in to the width and an inch to the height you should have a 1/2 in overlay on all 3 sides.

Nice write up. I built a couple pax with sliding doors few years ago and will go this route for a couple units to replace my remaining bestas.

Does anyone have one of the PAX frames that is less than 22" inch deep? Their Pax Builder says they have a 17" deep and then the site says 13.5" deep? Can anyone tell me if both of those actual exist lol

Also, what is the depth of the actual shelves? I have a few items that are right around 13-14 inches deep that I want to know if they would fit. I wanted to do 22" depth but I'd only have 5" between that and my desk then lol

I looked for a long time to try and find hinges like that but they just would not be able to hold the weight of the huge acrylic panel I needed. The Acrylic was notched but it was by the company who i bought the panel from. they drilled it and cut out the piece i needed for free.

Thanks for this write-up! I've had two PAX cabinets for about 5 years now without doors, so I think I'll be copying your setup once I start collecting and displaying again. I plan on having my lighting connected to a smart plug, so I can control it with other devices or based on walking in the room.

Thanks for this write-up! I've had two PAX cabinets for about 5 years now without doors, so I think I'll be copying your setup once I start collecting and displaying again. I plan on having my lighting connected to a smart plug, so I can control it with other devices or based on walking in the room.

That's what I did, with a cheap wifi plug off amazon. Works well. I'd prefer it be on a motion sensor though.

I looked for a long time to try and find hinges like that but they just would not be able to hold the weight of the huge acrylic panel I needed. The Acrylic was notched but it was by the company who i bought the panel from. they drilled it and cut out the piece i needed for free.

Thanks for the reply, do you mind telling me which company you went with? Local?

I'm considering selling my entire PAX display case. 8 units with 4 acrylic doors, lights, shelves, complete. We're moving and it'd be convenient not to have to move and store them. NW IN, Chicagoland region.

Hey Iamgroot that looks great and nice job using those hangars for added support. Where you drilled those in, is it hollow or is the particle board solid all the way through the wall? I read that the walls were hollow except where the pre-drilled holes were for the shelves.

Asoka05 I dont have any overlap with my doors. When I had them cut, I had them cut to the edge of the opening. If you add a 1/2 in to the width and an inch to the height you should have a 1/2 in overlay on all 3 sides.

I'd like to know this as well. I started the same project and noticed the areas between the peg holes are hollow. How are those bars holding up?

Does anyone have any tips on how to measure the holes needed to be drilled PRECISELY on these doors for the acrylic place to drill? And is there any chance of the acrylic panel clipping with the hinges or not really? Want to make sure this is perfect!

Also the shelf support, how exactly are you cutting shelf brackets? (Novice)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Best option would be to attach the hinges to the acrylic first... so bring the hinges to the acrylic shop and ask them to drill the holes where you'd like to place the hinges.. I recommend 4 hinges per door if you have the 93" Pax.

For support brackets, Ikea makes a clothes hanger bracket that can be turned around and used under the shelves.. it's already perfect fitted. It's called Komplement, you leave out the center clothes hanger and just use the bracket. You could also go to Home Depot and cut some steel bars and use L brackets but the Ikea option is a cleaner look.

Back