Ant-Man Figure Discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are any other Ant-Man toys being promoted apart from the Select figure? Apparently DST isn't planning on doing Minimates. I wouldn't be shocked if Hasbro doesn't bother with this, similar to how they've handled the X-Men films. But a Hot Toys figure seems like a good bet.

Are any other Ant-Man toys being promoted apart from the Select figure? Apparently DST isn't planning on doing Minimates. I wouldn't be shocked if Hasbro doesn't bother with this, similar to how they've handled the X-Men films. But a Hot Toys figure seems like a good bet.

Hasbro did not choose to ignore the X-Men films. Marvel never gave up merchandizing rights and flat out refused to make any toys or merch for Fox's movie. It goes without saying that they want the film rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four back, and not allowing tie-ins and merchandise to promote the films is their way of fighting for them.

As a Marvel Studios film, you better believe there'll be toys and knickknacks out the yin yang for Ant-Man when we get closer to release, but we're still a ways away.

Are any other Ant-Man toys being promoted apart from the Select figure? Apparently DST isn't planning on doing Minimates.

Chuck confirmed in this weeks Ask DST that Ant-Man Minimates are happening, but Zach has hinted that it might not be a full wave, maybe just a boxset or single pack(s)?

Hasbro did not choose to ignore the X-Men films. Marvel never gave up merchandizing rights and flat out refused to make any toys or merch for Fox's movie.

Not entirely true...

TheWolverineMMgroup1.jpg

X-Men-Days-of-Future-Past-Minimates.jpg

Ah, my mistake. I took Zach's posting to mean they were't happening at all.

Hasbro did not choose to ignore the X-Men films. Marvel never gave up merchandizing rights and flat out refused to make any toys or merch for Fox's movie.
Hasbro has released X-film figures in the past, as recently as the Wolverine, and as YB points out, we got Minimates from the latest film (and we're getting a Hot Toys figure). Most likely explanation is that the X-films give you boring looking costumes that don't appeal to kids IMO. There's only so much you can do with an Ant-Man line, particularly if you've got the Avengers 2 right around the corner, that Hasbro will no doubt go balls out with.

We all know that Marvel is doing that with the comics, but: A) Marvel doesn't own Hasbro, and can't dictate what they can or can't produce; B) X-films had and continue to have merchandise, so this isn't an issue with a license being unavailable; C) X-films have had merchandise produced before, by Hasbro, in the recent past. But even back when X2 and X3 were around there wasn't a lot of merchandising support, and when they have made merch. associated with an X-film they focus on the more colorful designs from the comics.

What does all this suggest? It's a simple cost-benefit decision based on what appeals to kids. If Ant-Man isn't seen as a surefire bet, it probably won't happen.

A couple sets of Minimates doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. :lol

Actually, it means a lot, it means that "some" companies are able to produce product based on these supposedly "forbidden" Marvel properties. Just like Hot Toys did with The Wolverine and DOFP Wolverine.

Hasbro did not choose to ignore the X-Men films. Marvel never gave up merchandizing rights and flat out refused to make any toys or merch for Fox's movie. It goes without saying that they want the film rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four back, and not allowing tie-ins and merchandise to promote the films is their way of fighting for them.

As a Marvel Studios film, you better believe there'll be toys and knickknacks out the yin yang for Ant-Man when we get closer to release, but we're still a ways away.

That's not the case. Marvel did not deny licensing requests. Or hold them back. Marvel granted many in fact. Including to hot toys. But the issues comes from the licenses themselves. Each actor had to give individual approval. As did both marvel and fox. And then once the licenses is granted, each entity still gets refusal rights. If the product does not meet their standards, or they think it's dumb, or just plain don't like it, they can still scrap it. This issue was because FOX did not secure the normal likeness rights for the film. Which was their job, not marvels. Marvel would have been perfectly happy to make more money on the film.

That's not the case. Marvel did not deny licensing requests. Or hold them back. Marvel granted many in fact. Including to hot toys. But the issues comes from the licenses themselves. Each actor had to give individual approval. As did both marvel and fox. And then once the licenses is granted, each entity still gets refusal rights. If the product does not meet their standards, or they think it's dumb, or just plain don't like it, they can still scrap it. This issue was because FOX did not secure the normal likeness rights for the film. Which was their job, not marvels. Marvel would have been perfectly happy to make more money on the film.

There has been a long Cold War between Marvel and Fox over rights that's recently started turning hot. A couple sets of Minimates doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. :lol Here's a good summary of it: Marvel Just Quietly Deployed the Nukes in Its War with Fox | moviepilot.com

As for that article...pretty easy to see it's got bad info. He says marvel is not allowing any..ANY...xmen or FF merchandising. Which we know is not the case. If they where set in not doing anything then the upcoming Hot Toys DOFP wolverine wouldn't be coming. Not the other 2200 (I don't know the exact number but it's a lot) licensed xmen related items. But even 1 item destroys what that article states.

I wouldn't bank on too much Ant-Man in stores, from the lack of products shown (particularly in toys) I'd say the licensees weren't too impressed with the marketability of this franchise, though that certainly has no indication on the quality of the movie. But with AoU and still 6 months out, could be too early to tell.

I'd like for HT to make a figure only to see if they can nail a good likeness of Rudd, but definitely not a figure I'd consider buying.

I used to do a lot of scale modelling and tabletop gaming - any interest in a limited run of 6mm Ant-Man custom figures? :lol

It goes without saying that they want the film rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four back, and not allowing tie-ins and merchandise to promote the films is their way of fighting for them.

Which is ridiculous as it won't end in that result. All it does is not earn them (Marvel) money they could've earned if they decided to profit from it.

Heck they won't even do Disney Infinity figures from comic X-Men which they own outright with no benefit going to Fox.

Ant-Man basically has Ant-Man and Yellowjacket and perhaps the girl for merchandising, Fantastic Four has the whole team plus Doom. More line-up opportunity and if like X-Men Days of Future Past last year the movie is a hit then there's be a demand for Merch that's not being supplied.

I just hope that the inevitable "ant-scale" ant-man accessory to the 1/6th scale isn't an exclusive!

It should be a 1:1 "ant-scale", anything smaller and it would be a plastic spec....look at the 1/6th scale of the kryptonian key...

I think the tiny Ant-Man if super detailed will go for alot on eBay as some may want just that version to display with other Marvel figures.

Perhaps they'll surprise and do a fully posable 1/12th version like ThreeA does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back