Another (definite) ebay scam

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And another fresh one with zero feedback - yangrulin2013. He's auctioning off a War Machine, Capt America Rescue Version, DX10 T800, Wolverine & Spiderman 3. You got less than 3 days to grab a bargain! The only dealers to buy from out of China which are legit with an awesome record are loontentoys & goodshipped ( well, that's just my opinion anyway ).

Free shipping is offered because when you offer free shipping nobody can rate you in the detailed shipping cost '5 star' rating.

This is the only way most people can get to their 10% discount on listing and selling fee's. It's an automatic '5 stars' when you offer free shipping.

If they didn't offer free shipping people would do the usual thing. Read what the cost of posting was................... and then mark you down because what you charged was slightly higher.

I'm convinced people seem to think in order to get a 5 star score off a buyer, sellers have to personally hand deliver the thing. Or go above and beyond the call of duty some how.

.. fair point, however there are also sellers who do try to profit from delivery.. I mark down heavily if there is £5 or more difference between delivery charged by the seller and postal cost on the package.. don't even get me started on older collectibles listed as 'New'..when they are very obviously ex display in a mint box. :mad:

Man, I wish I'd known about this site before ordering off SmailShopping. Guys a complete ****.

I paid £177 for a pre-oder Mark VII Iron Man, which I thought was good value. I knew I'd have to wait for it, but I was ok with that. Imagine my surprise then when he e-mailed me the next day to say my package had been posted. I thought I was in luck!

Nope, turned out to be a peace of fabric, it kind of looked like a scarf but wasn't/ Alaram bells started ringing when the "we missed you" card left by the post office had 'small package' written on it. Anyway, contacted the bloke and he blamed it on 'bad warehouse management', then proceeded to send me a piar of light up shoelaces.

Needless to say, case was opened and a month later I got all my money back. This was after the cheeky *&@!&* offered me a partial refund of $50, which is about £30!

Shame really, because I ordered a DX10 T800 about a month afterwards from a different Hong Kong based seller and he arrived swiftly with no problems. So there are good sellers out there being tainted by muppets like SmailShopping.

always check the rating themselves not just the number of ratings...i have only two ratings on my ebay from buying one statue and one 1/6 dx02 and although my payments where immediate people got skeptic when i have tried to sell an alien 1/6 by hot toys due to my 2 ratings...whereas people with 1 trillion ratings get them by buying 1usd stuff or by selling the exact same item to 1 trillion buyers.....

I actually try and A) Check what people are saying and B) check how much each item is worth. If a seller has 1000 feedbacks but the most expensive item they've ever sold is a $35 Barbie set or something, I generally go looking elsewhere.

Of course, there has been the odd time when a nerdgasm over the price an item is selling at has taken over and I've only checked the feedback score when I've won the auction and paid for the item!

Same guy got me for $465 US for an Iron Monger, sent me the scarf first, offered me a partial refund of $40 next after I first filed my claim and finally sent me a pair of socks. All my money was refunded but EBay was supposed to ban that guy; I made sure of it along with one of his aliases. Has he been let back on?

myhottoys2011 (Malaysia) is OK, but he ships kind of slow. m.y.online is good, but I’ve did a lot of business with goodshipped, he can be trusted for sure.

.. fair point, however there are also sellers who do try to profit from delivery.. I mark down heavily if there is £5 or more difference between delivery charged by the seller and postal cost on the package.. don't even get me started on older collectibles listed as 'New'..when they are very obviously ex display in a mint box. :mad:

I can see and do charge a bit over what the actual shipping cost is cause not all boxes, packing material, tape, printer ink and gas to drive the package the post office is free. And if if is international, I'm for sure going to charge extra for having to fill out the customs forms and stand in line for that crap.

Good thing the ebay postage slips hide the price for sellers. :)

Same guy got me for $465 US for an Iron Monger, sent me the scarf first, offered me a partial refund of $40 next after I first filed my claim and finally sent me a pair of socks. All my money was refunded but EBay was supposed to ban that guy; I made sure of it along with one of his aliases. Has he been let back on?

The auction I originally won finished on the 4th of December last year, and E-bay informed me that they'd removed the auction from their site about 3 weeks later, so I don't know if your scam happened around the same time? It took me ages to get a refund because SmailShopping was replying to my e-mails, he was just taking the michael.

I can see and do charge a bit over what the actual shipping cost is cause not all boxes, packing material, tape, printer ink and gas to drive the package the post office is free. And if if is international, I'm for sure going to charge extra for having to fill out the customs forms and stand in line for that crap.

Interesting. I know that UK post offices show the postage cost on their stickers. So if I'm charged £15 for postage, when the item comes through I can look at the sticker on the box and see that it actually only cost £9 or thereabouts.

Yes, I've seen my share of $195 figures with $75 shipping charges. After one look I buzz right on by.

The auction I originally won finished on the 4th of December last year, and E-bay informed me that they'd removed the auction from their site about 3 weeks later, so I don't know if your scam happened around the same time? It took me ages to get a refund because SmailShopping was replying to my e-mails, he was just taking the michael.

From what I was told by another member that is one of their tactics to slow the claims process down, along with the partial refund junk, it gives them more time to get your money to clear so that they can get away with it. I think EBay and Pay-pal took a lot of those refunds to us on the chin.

myhottoys2011 (Malaysia) is OK, but he ships kind of slow. m.y.online is good, but I’ve did a lot of business with goodshipped, he can be trusted for sure.

Jeez you scared me there for a second mentioning myhottoys2011. Just ordered stuff from him yesterday.

I take your point, however I do not expect sellers to make a special trip to the Post Office (I allow up to 7 days for the item to enter the postal system, because of this) and here in the UK, internet shopping has exploded in popularity, so most people have no shortage of packaging materials.. therefore if someone charges me £15 for post and then sends the package by the cheapest possible service for £7 (listed on the postage sticker by Royal Mail), he/she is going to get 'blackballed' on the shipping section of their feedback by me, without hesitation.

International shipping is different, I agree with you and appreciate the time and effort a seller has to invest in the shipping procedure and I'm grateful that sellers do make items available to international buyers, so I make allowances accordingly.
Although there still seems to be an interesting level of variance on charges for what are effectively the same item, using the same USPS shipping service.. one 3inch dunny figure sent international mail is easy to price compare with another 3inch dunny figure (using the same tracked and insured service).

I recently had two items sell on eBay but then the buyers did not pay and they did not respond to emails or the invoices I sent them. Add them to your bidder block list:

marmartinez09

gutty18

These two idiots have wasted my time and now I have to wait for my transaction to be cancelled before I can relist.

I'm not sure if others have run into this problem but apparently it's more common than I thought. A guy from Italy bought a Moore Kabuki statue from me and then once it arrived he filed a paypal grievance, stating the item received was "not as described". As soon as this popped up in my email I immediately contacted him to ask the problem assuming it had gotten broken in transit or something like that. Instead he tells me that I sent him a bottle or water. I thought there was some kind of a translation problem, "a bottle of water?" I asked. He confirmed and I asked him to send me a photo. Sure enough he sent me a photo of a bottle of water in the packaging (no art box just a full water bottle in the peanuts). Of course I realized it was a scam immediately. First, we are not allowed to send liquids through the mail without indicating the contents via customs. So I couldn't write resin statue and then put in a bottle of water unless I want to get fined or put on a watch list. Second, why would I spend $40 to ship a $1 bottle of water? It's not that it's even that much money $180 if paypal ends up ruling against me. But I'm guessing since the customs form is trackable his dispute will be denied and recognized for the scam it is. I cannot understand dishonest people sometimes. How can you even enjoy something that you know is stolen? That makes you nothing but a pathetic thief and a liar who should be ashamed of himself. Unfortunately one runs into the occasional crook, but it always sickens me when folks stoop this low.

Anyway, for anyone shipping international, here's a thread I found about scams.
SCAMS committed by eBay buyers: - The eBay Community

Funny story (Not really) I was sent a sock instead of a Hot Toys ED-209, I seriously had to fight to get my money back, It blew my mind, I got scammed by 3 Ebay sellers last year (money all returned back to me by paypal thankfully) So I am on full time scammer patrol this year, Just be smart about what you are buying and make sure the seller has a few (preferably more) feedback from selling not just buying.

And sadly it is easy to scam a seller on Ebay so be careful there as well, Get insurance and signature conformation it's worth the extra money in the end.

I'm not sure if others have run into this problem but apparently it's more common than I thought. A guy from Italy bought a Moore Kabuki statue from me and then once it arrived he filed a paypal grievance, stating the item received was "not as described". As soon as this popped up in my email I immediately contacted him to ask the problem assuming it had gotten broken in transit or something like that. Instead he tells me that I sent him a bottle or water. I thought there was some kind of a translation problem, "a bottle of water?" I asked. He confirmed and I asked him to send me a photo. Sure enough he sent me a photo of a bottle of water in the packaging (no art box just a full water bottle in the peanuts). Of course I realized it was a scam immediately. First, we are not allowed to send liquids through the mail without indicating the contents via customs. So I couldn't write resin statue and then put in a bottle of water unless I want to get fined or put on a watch list. Second, why would I spend $40 to ship a $1 bottle of water? It's not that it's even that much money $180 if paypal ends up ruling against me. But I'm guessing since the customs form is trackable his dispute will be denied and recognized for the scam it is. I cannot understand dishonest people sometimes. How can you even enjoy something that you know is stolen? That makes you nothing but a pathetic thief and a liar who should be ashamed of himself. Unfortunately one runs into the occasional crook, but it always sickens me when folks stoop this low.

Anyway, for anyone shipping international, here's a thread I found about scams.
SCAMS committed by eBay buyers: - The eBay Community

PM me their eBay name?

Back