Annihilation (2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unlike this reviewer, I didn't walk away noticing an apparent theme or one that suggests "not everything is evil." It's weird to think about it and force a theme on the movie because everything that happened seemed to occur due to "happenchance" - there was no rhyme or reason to it which adds another element of eerie-ness because without motives, you truly cannot try to understand at all.

Agreed, and from what I've read on another forum it sounds like it's actually better than the novel that inspired it.

Spoiler Spoiler:

You might want to fix your spoiler tag. ;)

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

But those are just my initial impressions which could easily change after another viewing/more discussion.

You might want to fix your spoiler tag. ;)

Spoiler Spoiler:

But those are just my initial impressions which could easily change after another viewing/more discussion.

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Poe," lol.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Saw this the other day some individuals scenes are amazing , very creative and intense. Doesn't come together as a whole though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed this movie! Not as perfect as BR 2049 or Ex Machina though, mostly because the supporting cast of women just couldn't keep pace with Portman, Leigh, and Isaac. Definitely more of a movie that you simply experience as opposed to figure out.

I *loved* the tied to chairs scene and final lighthouse sequences, those were fantastic.

I'd give it a solid 7.75/10.

Is this worth seeing in theaters for the visuals alone?

Well you won't come away thinking it was as good as BR 2049 or anything but I definitely recommend seeing it on as big a screen as possible with as high end a sound system as possible.

It's a very plausible take on how we would be visited by an alien life form. I don't think they would be the large eyed grays in flying saucers and ray guns.

So despite cool trailers and positive reviews (both movies have exactly 87% RT scores) both Annihilation and BR 2049 utterly bombed at the box office. This does not bode well for the future of artsy/cerebral science-fiction.

It's a very plausible take on how we would be visited by an alien life form. I don't think they would be the large eyed grays in flying saucers and ray guns.

Yeah I liked that

Spoiler Spoiler:

I really enjoyed this movie! Not as perfect as BR 2049 or Ex Machina though, mostly because the supporting cast of women just couldn't keep pace with Portman, Leigh, and Isaac. Definitely more of a movie that you simply experience as opposed to figure out.

I *loved* the tied to chairs scene and final lighthouse sequences, those were fantastic.

I'd give it a solid 7.75/10.

I would give it a solid 7 out of 10 also. I liked it.. I could have loved it.. It got a bit too artsy for me at the end.

The Chair scene you mentioned was one of the creepiest scenes in movies in a long time.. Freaking brilliant. Almost worth the price of admission right there.

The Ending did not do much for me. I don't mind it being open for interpretation or giving no solid answers.. I just wish it offered something a little.... More

Yeah I liked that

Spoiler Spoiler:

Yeah I went to this with my 12 year old son .. Who like most 12 year olds wanted a reason for everything.. I like the way the alien was handled.

Curious to know what this chair scene is you're both talking about. Can you go into detail?

oZ8RJ3a.gif

So despite cool trailers and positive reviews (both movies have exactly 87% RT scores) both Annihilation and BR 2049 utterly bombed at the box office. This does not bode well for the future of artsy/cerebral science-fiction.

That’s the sad state of movies today. I thought both movies were incredible. I weep for the future of intelligent sci fi films.

Back