Annihilation (2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked Ex Machina and Arrival because their message was somewhat clear to me. I suppose I should watch this one again, but I didn't like it at all. While, I understand the DNA mixing stuff and the bear scene was super creepy, the rest fell flat for me because we didn't learn anything about why or what was the purpose to anything in this film. I thought maybe the Aliens were trying to teraform the planet or something, but we don't know.

Still haven't seen Arrival. I really need to.

See, those saying Arrival was "nothing special", if you know Villeneuve, you know these people are filthy plebs.

I liked Ex Machina and Arrival because their message was somewhat clear to me. I suppose I should watch this one again, but I didn't like it at all. While, I understand the DNA mixing stuff and the bear scene was super creepy, the rest fell flat for me because we didn't learn anything about why or what was the purpose to anything in this film. I thought maybe the Aliens were trying to teraform the planet or something, but we don't know.

It's on purpose we know nothing about the shimmer, hence all the "I don't know"s at the end.

The Aliens were the least important part of the movie.

I saw the movie as the perspective of how an extraterrestrial life-form would assimilate to Earth. At no point were any of the characters likable except for Sheppard. The aliens did respond that they merely wanted to change and create their surrounding, with no reason for them to act hostile or attempt to terraform; best guess is that the material of what they came in with altered and mutated their surrounding. It seems that the mutation took time to take over things, which was probably mutating the air causing the shimmer to exist and also causing some failure in the duplicate's body. Truly, it does seem unnecessary as a tale, and feels cheap too; but if I were to view it again, I'd base it off from the perspective of an alien and why the events occurred that way. Catalyst had to be dup-Kane coming back. It seemed that when it bonded from Kane, he had genuine emotion and tried to seek Lena. Everything else occurred at the cost of the humans entering the shimmer.

See, those saying Arrival was "nothing special", if you know Villeneuve, you know these people are filthy plebs.

Big issue with Arrival is that Villeneuve isn't memorable with non-linear. Quite honestly, he is decent overall. Prisoner was good, but suspense got lost along the way, even Jackman being buried didn't do much. Enemy isn't worth writing about. Sicario is 50/50; I give most of the credit to Sheridan and him killing the American Frontier Trilogy. While I do blame Sheridan for some of the slow parts, Villeneuve failed in that extent as well. I see why they felt the necessity to push the star power of Blunt after Edge of Tomorrow, but her character absolutely did nothing. Glad Soldado is clearing off that fat. Arrival again did not bode well with the non-linear storytelling, but I'l write it off on account of the aliens. BR 2049, well that also an unpopular opinion from me, so I'll pass on that again.

I've contributed more to the conversation than you, so far you've pointed out the obvious...

best guess is that the material of what they came in with altered and mutated their surrounding.

:lol

And admitted to miss key points in Villeneuve's movies...

I see why they felt the necessity to push the star power of Blunt after Edge of Tomorrow, but her character absolutely did nothing

So no thanks bro, figure it out on your own :duff

Arrival was nothing special, very overrated. BR 2049 was awesome though.

Glad to see folks in here hating on Arrival. It seems as if everyone loves it but I was so let down. Anyway I just saw this and it was fairly decent. 7/10, nothing too memorable but not boring either. Felt the affair and the constant flash backs ruined the pacing and added nothing after the setup, however I really liked everything that happened in the lighthouse. Bear scene was good too. Loved the leftover corpse at the pool, great visual, like a strange gory body mural. I personally didn’t mind that there weren’t any answers to the questions, it didn’t seem important and it told the story it set out to. It was just about the experience.

I want to and will see this sometime soon. Enjoyed Ex-Machina but thought Arrival was alright.

She was fighting with herself, it blew itself up because of the self-destructive tendencies she and everyone has, also notice the corpse of his real husband was right there.

And also because it didn't matter who got out, the clone or the real one, since fake Oscar Isaac was already out, only one Natalie Portman needed to get out to mate with fake Oscar Isaac and have zone babies to conquer the world.

You know how she said she didn't know anything and maybe the prism didn't want anything? Well there's one thing all organisms want, and it is to proliferate.

If you recall, Natalie Portman did say that 2 species cannot procreate, so since it is pretty much common knowledge, I'm sure there was a Point they brought that up. It was necessary for both Alien reproductions to mate.

Yeah but she was talking about earthly species under normal conditions to accentuate the fact that 2 species *did" combine, so clearly the shimmer bypasses that and can potentially combine *everything*.

Yeah but she was talking about earthly species under normal conditions to accentuate the fact that 2 species *did" combine, so clearly the shimmer bypasses that and can potentially combine *everything*.

Combined through some ort of DNA osmosis, not through mating.

But then it's all pretend, but I felt like they were trying to establish some rules.

bought this on itunes 4k because it was cheap and in a bundle with arrival.

i enjoyed ex machina so hopefully will like this one too

I always (until now) bought physical copies only, but a site I've been going on had Annihilation and A Quiet Place bundle for under $10. I Wasn't going to purchase it originally, but for that price I couldn't say no.

Back