Allosaurus VS Camarasaurus Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sinornithosaurus FTW!

I still wish they'd been a bit more daring with the colors. The sauropod's burgundy hide looks very much like the Triceratops, and these Allosaurs look very dark. I can't help but wonder if something brighter, or at least some contrasting patterns, would help bring out some of the sculptural details. Obviously I'll need to see the whole piece, though. Hurry it up, Sideshow!

See, Dan's on my side. This piece, at least via the preview, looks very brown. I've seen so many artist rendering of Allos that are gorgeous colors, it just seems a shame to make it so muted. But then again, we'll just have to see the whole piece.

Definitely looks that way, doesn't it? The running Allo has a nice scar on the left side of the skull. Hard to tell right now with the attacking animal because we don't have that good of a view of it there, but it certainly proves tantalizing.

I'd say the entire Camarasaur is present. Having that size of a sauropod makes it practical to include both organisms bodily in the sculpt. The sculpt may come in more than one piece, such as including the tail separately to assemble.

The scarred Allo looks great right now..with just the top of the head visible in the larger pic it's just impossible to tell..but I do want to see more of it..and the red eyes are growing on me a lot...kind of like in Gurche's painting :

dino_133_fs.jpg

The colors even look similar...maybe Gurche did this one ?

Definitely soon. Dromaeosaurs are at the top of everyone's must-see list here. Particularly with the new discovery of a venomous species of raptor. :rock

I expect one of some kind this year...I honestly can't believe it hasn't been done yet...that venomous raptor def is interesting..esp. after all the JP Dilo bashing..lol

The Camarasaur looks like it's in flight here, not struggling to free itself from being mired... but that's just from going on what I see in that sidelong preview shot.

In terms of accuracy, Allosaurs would have been fantastic swimmers. We have a series of 12 fossilized footprints in Spain from what would have been shallow aquatic regions wherein theropod whole footrpints are present, as well as scraping prints, meaning that the legs would have been kicking just above the terrain. That served as the basis for WWD to depict Eustreptospondylus swimming.

It looks like it's heading for shore and it's front half is already there..the only flaw in a water based scene is the running Allo is...running. Maybe it's just slipping in a lot of rain-soaked mud. :?

A swimming therapod scene would also be really cool to have..one artist did a pack of Metricanthosaurs swimming in a flood once I always wanted.

Sinornithosaurus FTW!

I still wish they'd been a bit more daring with the colors. The sauropod's burgundy hide looks very much like the Triceratops, and these Allosaurs look very dark. I can't help but wonder if something brighter, or at least some contrasting patterns, would help bring out some of the sculptural details. Obviously I'll need to see the whole piece, though. Hurry it up, Sideshow!

The Allos look nice so far..red eyes, shades of reddish brown, maybe some yellow in there..a black stripe running the length of the body..and the lighter under body. Not sure about the Camara though..not enough to tell.

Not sure how much potential there is for a lot of outrageous coloration with sauropods. We haven't really seen much to that effect, so it would be nice to see it at some point. Using cryptic coloration for a small sauropod the size of a Camarasaur is sensible considering that it would have been a ready prey source for large theropods.

Also, people forget that with large carnivorous reptiles and volant raptors, often they aren't flamboyantly colored unless the mating season is upon them. This is demonstrated very well in hawk and falcon species which hunt birds within thick, densely forested areas, as well as reptiles which more often than not blend with the environment and flush capillary blends vibrantly only for mating displays. Carnivorous organisms have the potential for a lot of vibrancy in conspecific displays and threats, but when hunting the color palette is usually very subdued. With herbivorous species it's dependent upon the organism and its individual strategy, as to whether it looks to blend with its surroundings, intimidate without confrontation, or openly confront an opponent. Lots of potential for color in the right situation. The S.aegypticus has a lot of color potential on the dorsal area, as long as the ventral blends well, and as such it could remain camouflaged to potential prey (smaller organisms both aquatic and terrestrial) and intimidating to organisms large enough to perceive it bodily. Stark, vibrant display coloration in the right circumstances. The Styracosaur was the right opportunity; I'm not certain this diorama would be appropriate. The S.aegypticus - definitely.

All I wanted was green (even if it is subdued) on my allosaurus, Scar. Is that too much to ask? It didn't even have to be much green. I'm not picky. Ha.

But in all seriousness, that explanation makes sense and is scientifically sound, like most things you say. At least we got a very vibrant Rex, and I guess I should be happy with that.

Well, we still haven't seen the posterior region of the Allosaurs. Obviously the head and anterior portion of the body might not be so vibrant, but I'm hoping that the dorsal region starting from the hips to the end of the tail might have some vivid patterns or something.... Still have to wait until the full stock photo are revealed...

If you have painted anything before it's easy to see there a lot of colors on these pieces..now that said they haven't been very bright colors...after looking at it I think the Styrac could have brighter frill colors...but it works anyway.

I saw a piece of art once where the fellow had a therapod stalking a herbivore of some sort..( it was awhile ago ) ....anyway the predator sees the drab colored animal..stalks up and pounces..just before he does the prey senses the danger and flushes bright with color surprising the carnivore and causing him to veer off. No scientific basis..but I thought it was a neat idea..as they get worked up the colors get brighter and bolder.

The Allos in this new piece look kind of like Charlie's Allos..moreso one than the other :

Allosaurus0001.jpg

Allosaurus0002.jpg

I kind of like the 2nd one a bit better..but I'll deal with it. ;)

Yeah, those are the kind of color schemes I like to see. McGrady is a master of the paints.

So I noticed the "comment" section of the Allo v. Cam preview page, and found what could possibly be the very best compliment ever given to Sideshow's Dinosauria line:

"I`m 56 years old and my wife still excites me but when I see the UPS driver deliver a Sideshow Dinosauria to the house that becomes a close second."

:rotfl

I really like that second Allo a lot. The first isn't bad either. I liked that comment comparing dinosaurs to his wife, as well.

I made a similar comment after my first time diving with great whites, stating that this was a close second to my wedding as highlights of my life. Needless to say, I felt an evil eye for the next few days.

A little off topic but I would love a maquette of this guy...Spinosaurus

This thing would be huge next to the T-rex and carnotaurus, make it happen SS.

Spinodetail.jpg

29mm61c.jpg

Chris

Well, we still haven't seen the posterior region of the Allosaurs. Obviously the head and anterior portion of the body might not be so vibrant, but I'm hoping that the dorsal region starting from the hips to the end of the tail might have some vivid patterns or something.... Still have to wait until the full stock photo are revealed...

What would be the evolutionary advantage in a large theropod for having a cryptically colored anterior region and a vividly colored posterior region? They aren't mammalian baboons which hold their tails aloft in conspecific courtship and dominance displays.

The Allos in this new piece look kind of like Charlie's Allos..moreso one than the other :

Allosaurus0001.jpg

Allosaurus0002.jpg

I kind of like the 2nd one a bit better..but I'll deal with it. ;)

My thoughts exactly. It's a way to insert color into a piece while not disrupting the natural camouflage. Good examples.

"I`m 56 years old and my wife still excites me but when I see the UPS driver deliver a Sideshow Dinosauria to the house that becomes a close second."

Best comment pertaining to Dinosauria. Ever.

Last edited:
A little off topic but I would love a maquette of this guy...Spinosaurus

This thing would be huge next to the T-rex and carnotaurus, make it happen SS.

Spinodetail.jpg

29mm61c.jpg

Chris

And you'll get one. Soon. ;) ;) ;)

Also, bear in mind that while larger, it was much more lightly built than T.rex. Carnotaurus however, was a medium-sized theropod, so yes, S.aegypticus would have been monstrous next to it.

What would be the evolutionary advantage for having a cryptically colored anterior region and a vividly colored posterior region?

Seems like what I have said was quite unclear. I definitely wasn't referring that the colorization of the anterior portion was likely to be something like an elephant and the posterior region was going to be something like a tiger...

But then again, we have the Okapi (except that the forelimbs have stripes on them)....which is irrelevant for comparison with a gigantic theropod regarding almost every aspect....

More than the specific colors, I was mentioning about certain patterns or patches, stripes etc. might appear more vividly at the posterior region even though the basic color tone might be identical to the anterior portion of the Allosaurs...

Just my two cents, I'm dying to view the whole thing...

As for evolutionary advantages, that's really something to think about but I'm not quite sure what to say...:confused:

Last edited:
Oh, that poor Allosaurus! I hope they're compensating you for that. At least the Stegosaurus looks to be in good shape, or does he have damage somewhere I can't see?

Seems like what I have said was quite unclear. I definitely wasn't referring that the colorization of the anterior portion was likely to be something like an elephant and the posterior region was going to be something like a tiger...

But then again, we have the Okapi (except that the forelimbs have stripes on them)....which is irrelevant for comparison with a gigantic theropod regarding almost every aspect....

More than the specific colors, I was mentioning about certain patterns or patches, stripes etc. might appear more vividly at the posterior region even though the basic color tone might be identical to the anterior portion of the Allosaurs...

Just my two cents, I'm dying to view the whole thing...

As for evolutionary advantages, that's really something to think about but I'm not quite sure what to say...:confused:

The okapi is a has stripes along its extremities but solid tone in the central mass. The working hypothesis there is that the pattern is broken up on the extremities so as confuse carnivores pursuing the okapi, rendering them incapable of deducing a single limb to grasp within their jaws. It is sensible for herbivorous organisms, but one as a strategy for carnivores I can't imagine it.

The okapi is a has stripes along its extremities but solid tone in the central mass. The working hypothesis there is that the pattern is broken up on the extremities so as confuse carnivores pursuing the okapi, rendering them incapable of deducing a single limb to grasp within their jaws. It is sensible for herbivorous organisms, but one as a strategy for carnivores I can't imagine it.

You could compare it to reptiles..some tend to have brighter colored tails..especially in their young. Other predators go for the tail first instead of the darker colored head and body where the important organs are located.

Some birds use their tail feathers for display as well...so it could be a mark of sexual maturity or something that only appears during mating season.

And you'll get one. Soon. ;) ;) ;)

Also, bear in mind that while larger, it was much more lightly built than T.rex. Carnotaurus however, was a medium-sized theropod, so yes, S.aegypticus would have been monstrous next to it.

The thing is these aren't in scale either..the Carno is quite a bit larger than it would be next to T-Rex. I'm sure the Spino will be at least the size of the Rex maquette but with that sail it will look really huge.. :D

You could compare it to reptiles..some tend to have brighter colored tails..especially in their young. Other predators go for the tail first instead of the darker colored head and body where the important organs are located.

Some birds use their tail feathers for display as well...so it could be a mark of sexual maturity or something that only appears during mating season.

But dinosaurs, unlike the small lizards to which you are referring, do not possess caudal autonomy. A tail cannot be detached, and if forcibly removed would not have been regrown. Additionally, bear in mind that even in small lizard species (and it is present only in small lizards) this sacrifice comes at a cost. The lizard in question may keep its life, but it also usually endures a lower social status in gregarious lizard species and a greatly hampered mobility. This hampered mobility makes the animal vulnerable to predators anew to an even greater degree. Also, bear in mind that these lizards locomote chiefly as laterally undulating belly-draggers. This particular movement would have been impossible for dinosaurs, most have which would have found movement impossible without counterbalancing tails.

Birds are also possessed of vibrant feather patterns which may be flared so as to accentuate colors. You don't see this feature in large reptile species which have tails much more comparable to dinosaur tails. Certainly birds and reptiles are known to flare certain portions of their bodies for conspecific communication, and dinosaurs likely acted similarly. Dinosaurs with vibrant tails on drab bodies isn't something that we have any reason to believe was prevalent or existed at all.

The thing is these aren't in scale either..the Carno is quite a bit larger than it would be next to T-Rex. I'm sure the Spino will be at least the size of the Rex maquette but with that sail it will look really huge.. :D

Not to scale but no less impressive with that in mind.

Back