Advice Required Re The Best 1/6 Darth Vader Figure...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Thanks for the really helpful replies fellow freaks.

@Niltusk Thanks for that fascinating link. Those height differences are astounding indeed!

I can understand first-hand the scale differences between Medicom and others very well though. We have a Medi BATMAN BEGINS and SUPERMAN RETURNS and they are both much smaller than our Hot Tot BB and SR figures. We do have a Medi Darth Maul on the way soon and on that one the size difference does not bother us that much as we have met Ray Park and he is...let's say, not a giant.

Whilst the new Medi DV looks very smart indeed, especially with that tricky 'light-up' sabre, I really am not too keen on him looking like a midget compared to the rest of our 1/6 figures.

I think my best options then, will be from a choice out of three, namely

1. If I want one ASAP...Chase down a SSC Darth Vader and work the helmet mod (if I really have to).
  2. Again if it's ASAP, PO the mew Medicom with tricky sabre...which would mean a wait anyway as it would be FLEXed...$300 for a well presented midget, I am seriously not mad-keen on that idea.
  3. Accept that if, in theory, I was going to wait for FLEX time to pass anyway, use that time so see how any new SSC Vader turns out. This is an option that gives my bank account a bit more of a rest too :wink1:.

I am most grateful.

Option three. The new SSC can't be worse than their first version and they claim to have fixed the height issue on the body. If only they fix everything else as well, then it could be a great figure. But they gotta step up their game.

Here's the critical parts of the interview (I believe done last year), in regards to the upcoming Vader:

SSC Interview said:
DMM What have you done with Darth Vader? You have the life-sized bust, which is sort of an idealized version of the character, the A New Hope 12” figure, a Revenge Of The Sith pre-battle 12” figure, the A New Hope PF, and two A New Hope bronze statues, as well as dioramas with Vader in Revenge Of The Sith, A New Hope, and The Empire Strikes Back. What about Return Of The Jedi?

BB Return Of The Jedi is going to get a loving representation in 1/6 scale next, followed closely by a Premium Format Figure...

DMM Going into this new Vader, will we see a more accurately scaled body?

BB Already done. We wanted to make sure he was clearly taller than everyone else, but the first one was just a hair too tall.

My problem is I have everything now, or just finish everything. I even got the Emperor a woman (Lady Death PF). I when with the new one that is going to come out. I am not really all the feel good about not having the SS. But really I have no Vader and I am not crazy yet to pay what some people want for a SS Vader. "YET"

I never buy something twice. But with them coming out with a new Rex who knows.

The SSC vader in my opinion is the best so far. But you should wait till the new one comes out...whenever that is.

Unless you have ikea detolf. Those are for kiddie collections.

Hey my clones need a home to or would you rather I just put them in their box, shove them in the attic, and forget about them? :rotfl

The newest medicom is the nicest in terms of character, but is way overpriced...sideshow is a better bet, but wait for the jedi version...

If you like a pose-able Vader, go for SS.
But if you only want to set and forget - Consider the Gentle Giant 1/6 statue. It looks great on display, and the size is just right :

hqdefault.jpg

If you want a cool Darth Vader figure to hold you over until Sideshow's, it's not 1:6 but it's pretty cool.

6654010417_9e18c5e514_z.jpg

Tomy Direct Action Doll Collection. They did a Boba Fett too. Both might be kinda hard to find now.

I'd vote currently for the SSC Vader as the best overall.

I've owned the ROTJ, ROTS Vader from Medicom and ANH Vader from Sideshow.

Medicom
I think the overall look of the Medicom figures is good and they have good internal proportions. The reveal heads are quite undersized though and the paint work on them is pretty basic. The outfit is nice, but the cape is too bulky and I guess there have been some issues with the body suits breaking down. Both came with a nice assortment of hands, but they did not stay on particuarly well. And probably the biggest issue is they are tiny... so not imposing like you'd want a Darth Vader to be.

Sideshow:
Good height, look and internal proportions. However, he's actually too tall and the angle of the dome is off. The outfit is very nice, as is the quality of the cape. But because the cape is lined it is waay to bulky and does not hang naturally. Good assortment of hands and they stay on well. And at the time, for $125 new he was a great deal; but on the secondary market his prices have really gone up.

In the end I much prefer the Sideshow figure; both have their pluses and minusus. But since my collection is primarily non-Medicom figures the biggest deal breaker is the height issue.

Having said that I've also made a few modifications to my Vader. I've lowered his height by swapping out his midsection with a stormtrooper one, altered the angle of the helmet and replaced his cape. In total I've put about an extra $50 into him and I think he's pretty badass looking for it:

hhn.jpg

If you want a cool Darth Vader figure to hold you over until Sideshow's, it's not 1:6 but it's pretty cool.

6654010417_9e18c5e514_z.jpg

Tomy Direct Action Doll Collection. They did a Boba Fett too. Both might be kinda hard to find now.

This is the diecast one right? I have both MIB. I got the two for about 100USD when I was in Scotland a couple years ago. :hi5:

I have the Medicom ROTJ Vader. He's on display in my living room and everyone asks about it. Best Vader figure in my opinion - but I'm not so particular about the relative sizes between figures.

Back