$80 for next gen games?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snappahead

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of rumors on the net flying around right now. Especially from EA's direction. Rumor is they're going to be charging $80 for their PS4 and One titles. I hadn't really thought about a price increase, but it is common practice when the new consoles come out. It's usually $10 though. Never $20...well, not counting Nintendo's cartridge days. Apparently EA was asked and refused to comment. That's almost like confirming it hehe. Where there's smoke...

Geez, I really hope this isn't true.
Some of the preorder bundles have priced the games at $60.
Also, preordering individual games, at least at this point, are still $60.

Sony said the price will stay at $60.

I don't think theirs any reason for them to charge more, everything we've seen so far looks like current gen running on a PC.

Sadly, i can see this happening. i dont know about $80 but i can definitely see a price increase. with games becoming better in every department, graphics, engine, design...the production time and cost goes up with every generation. Sooo, that money has to be made up somewhere. as much as i love every generation and how amazing the games get, it really hurts the industry to a certain degree IMO. if somehow the cost of games doesn't go up and the industry can still thrive, that would be awesome given i am part of it. but from what i see right now, companies just keep going under and everyone is moving to mobile and casual games.

I hadn't really thought about a price increase, but it is common practice when the new consoles come out.
Is it? I just ran across this chart:

ISwOVe4.png

Price have been incredibly consistent (with some variation) going back to the late '80s. Disc games for the PS1 and Xbox 1 were around $50 at release. Considering inflation, $80 would seem far from unreasonable. That same article I found has a chart accounting for inflation:

5ZMBIQK.png

Street Fighter 2 for the SNES cost $120 in 2012 dollars. Mario Bros. 3 was almost $90.

Here's the article it comes from that I haven't read:

https://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/do-games-cost-too-much/

I like how I brought this up when Xbone and PS4 were revealed and everyone thought I was talking crazy.

I hope it's just rumor too, but I wouldn't put it past EA to try it. If they went to $80 the Madden junkies would still buy it and I'm sure they wouldn't be alone. I'm sure I'd cave if they charged $80 for the new Dragon Age or Battlefield. My name's Snappahead and I'm a gameaholic.

Regardless of where you go to get games, a $20 price increase on msrp is going to affect you. Unless youre pirating of course.

Back