Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasmid303

Super Freak
Reaction score
06_evilryuraging.jpg

Update 4/7/11

SSFIV Arcade Edition will be made available as DLC. The new version contains numerous balance tweaks as well as a few new characters and modes:

-Yun, Yang, Oni, and Evil Ryu are DLC characters
-Other character balances from AE
-Titles shown on screen during fights (yay?)
-Enhanced replay channel featuring an "elite" channel with matches from players above 3000pp and the ability to follow certain players so you get notified when they have a new replay up.

arcade edition coming as DLC

<embed src="https://img820.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=P5gk" width="640" height="380" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>

Balance tweaks and character changes:

Here is a large list of balance tweaks to every character in Arcade Edition:

part 1
Spoiler Spoiler:

Part 2
Spoiler Spoiler:

Part 3
Spoiler Spoiler:

Part 4
Spoiler Spoiler:

Part 5
Spoiler Spoiler:

--------------------------

<embed src="https://blip.tv/play/gpk2gaS2bgI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="300" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

New info: Super Street Fighter IV confirmed, will be a stand-alone title, not DLC.

Kotaku said:
Capcom today have announced Super Street Fighter IV, a new, standalone title which is Street Fighter IV with eight new characters added and some tweaks made based on community feedback.

Of the eight characters, three have been announced: classic characters T. Hawk and Dee Jay (Dee Jay's reveal coming in the latest issue of Famitsu, below), and newcomer Juri. The rest could be anyone; new characters, old favourites, a mix of the two. We have no idea!

In terms of improvements to the game itself, producer Yoshinori Ono says that every character has been changed slightly based on comments from both players and the dev team, while an improved online experience is also promised.

Which begs the question: why an all-new title, and not just a range of DLC? Ono says the changes are so extensive that they couldn't just be tacked on, so a disc release was necessary. Those crying "RIP OFF" should know that the game "won't be sold at full price", and that those owning both the original and Super will are in store for an as-yet-unspecified treat.

Capcom just put up a teaser website hinting at a mysterious update coming on Tuesday, 9/29 (Japan time). Kotaku reports that Capcom MIGHT introduce a new character (or maybe more than just one?) for the game along with other updates. Capcom has teased an update for this month, but up until now, no one really knew what that entailed.

Teaser site: https://www.capcom.co.jp/newwarrior/index.html

Kotaku article: https://kotaku.com/5369090/street-fighter-iv-getting-new-warrior

Reading some of the comments on the Kotaku article, people are guessing iit could be an SFIII character while others hope for a patch for the game's mechanics and whatnot.

If the plan is for a new character, who do you think it'll be? Or hope it'll be?

Last edited:
Re: Street Fighter IV getting "New Warrior"

I would like to see Guy and/or Cody from Final Fight/Street Fighter Alpha 2. But, I don't suspect that will be the case.

Damn, Guy and Cody might actually make it! :rock :rock :rock

I played the ^^^^ out of Final Fight at the arcade growing up.

Thanks for posting those links, Karma!

Most interesting bit of info from the links, imo:

According to several posters on srk and other boards, this is some of the stuffs that will be included in SFIV Dash:

- 2 New Characters: Hakan, and Arab grappler, and Juri an asian girl who works for Seth

- the leaked roster from last week is real

- Guile has Sonic Hurricane

- The game's name is Super Street Fighter IV

- Everyone has two Ultras at once. No selection. Commands don't overlap.

- One super, two ultras. Except Sakura, who has Shinkuu Hadoken back for 2 and 2. All 3S characters have all three of their supers, except one is super and two are ultra.

- Rufus can cancel-break the last hit of Spectacle Romance, or the launch kick of Space Opera Symphony.

- Guy has his chains

- Dudley now has ten target combos, up from nine in 3S.

- Cody is the only character with an Alpha Counter. Yes, he has the knife.

- Makoto has her super as Tanden Renki. May be possible to activate with an Ultra charged to commence the rape time.

- Gen gets a new air Ultra. He still doesn't hagve his chains back at this point.

- Juri's top may bear a vague resemblance to Shiki, with a bit of Hinata hair.

- Expect the return of the many familiar supers, and a few new ones like Metsu
Shoryuken. Return of Kikosho, Sonic Hurricane, Denjin(Gouken), Tiger Cannon.

- Expect sick names like Breathless, Yoga Shangri-La, Psycho Punisher and Demon Armageddon.

- Expect a lot of air activated ultras, i.e; Siberian Blizzard, Gief's ****ing air 720. Yes, you read that correctly.

- Return of the bonus stage."

The game will apparently be revealed tomorrow at TGS.

This makes me very excited. Bring on Super Street Fighter IV!!!!!

Last edited:

Sweet!!! Loved me some T Hawk. Sooo is this gonna be an update or something??? I haven't played it in a few months so I have no clue. Guess its time to dust off the game and controller.

Super Street Fighter IV confirmed, will be a stand-alone title, not DLC.

Kotaku said:
Capcom today have announced Super Street Fighter IV, a new, standalone title which is Street Fighter IV with eight new characters added and some tweaks made based on community feedback.

Of the eight characters, three have been announced: classic characters T. Hawk and Dee Jay (Dee Jay's reveal coming in the latest issue of Famitsu, below), and newcomer Juri. The rest could be anyone; new characters, old favourites, a mix of the two. We have no idea!

In terms of improvements to the game itself, producer Yoshinori Ono says that every character has been changed slightly based on comments from both players and the dev team, while an improved online experience is also promised.

Which begs the question: why an all-new title, and not just a range of DLC? Ono says the changes are so extensive that they couldn't just be tacked on, so a disc release was necessary. Those crying "RIP OFF" should know that the game "won't be sold at full price", and that those owning both the original and Super will are in store for an as-yet-unspecified treat.

Re: Super Street Fighter IV confirmed

YESSS!!!! Give me IBUKI!!!!

I really hope they fix some of the balance issues, like Rufus' overpowered EX Snake Strike and ability to juggle his super/ultra out of anything, Balrog's ridiculous jab priority, and Sagat's overall rape powers. :joy

Last edited:

I feel Sagat was always one of the best characters in the older SF IIs. Makes sense it would still be the case. Tiger knee gets 'em every time.

:lecture Total rip off.

I thought Capcom would've waited a year before they made Hyper Super Street Fighter IV: HD Puzzle Remix Edition.

It's been well over a year since it was released in the arcades in summer of 2008 and if the console version is released in spring of 2010, as they say it is, well then there is your year.

I'm always suprised by peoples reactions to the new iteration of SF IV and how it's b*** s*** that they are making people pay for a new disk. Doesn't anyone play sports games, i.e. Madden? A new game every year for $60 and people eat it up like it's the newest greatest version in the world!

New characters, new stages, balance tweaks, new online features, bonus stages, and it is going to be priced as an add-on. What is all the b*tching about? This may very well sell better than the first SF IV.:rock

The main reason to buy new versions of Madden is to play as the current rosters during the season. The analogy does not hold, IMO.

Minor tweaks and new stages don't mean much of anything to me (or most other casual fans, I would wager). Having a few extra characters is nice, but when it is essentially the same exact game that came out last year. . .forget it. This screams "downloadable content." They're just trying to milk fans for more money.

Fortunately, unlike some DLC stuff, the game itself is practically guaranteed to go down in value. So I will ultimately get this for <$20. Or, not at all :huh I don't blame Capcom for trying to make a profit, but I personally won't reinforce their behavior.

New characters, new stages, balance tweaks, new online features, bonus stages, and it is going to be priced as an add-on. What is all the b*tching about? This may very well sell better than the first SF IV.:rock

So true. When I used to work at a Gamestop, EVERY release of Madden was a ridiculous event. There were lines every year on release day and I just couldn't understand it (because I'm not a big sports game player). So why the big deal with a fighting game?

I'm willing to pay $30 or $40 for significant changes to the gameplay system rather than pay 10 bucks to get a few superficial patches (like ahem, the alternate costumes). Yes, Capcom put out a great game and could leave it at that. But they're working to give more to the fans, so I think they should be compensated for their efforts.

I'd be upset if they called this update Street Fighter V. Clearly, it's not that, as new characters and some character balance does not equal a true sequel. That's kind of what bothered me about the King of Fighters series. It really was just small gameplay tweaks and some new characters.

But I hope that this will be the definitive version of SFIV, kind of like how Third Strike fixed everything that was wrong with the first two incarnations of SFIII. I don't think anyone can think of ways to fix that game - It really is as perfect as it could be. Let's just hope we're that lucky with SSFIV.

The main reason to buy new versions of Madden is to play as the current rosters during the season. The analogy does not hold, IMO.

I think this analogy does hold. Why can't EA release a disk called "Madden Core" or something, and each year, update the rosters and sell the DLC for $15? Because to implement the roster changes and the overall gameplay balance for each player means they need to revamp the code. Not everything can be patched nice and neatly.

It's the same with this. Sure, the casual player won't really notice the difference in how the original roster handles, but I think that tweaking things like increasing/reducing invincible start up frames is a big deal - not to mention that completely new animations and graphics for the additional supers/ultras (as well as making sure all the new characters properly interact with the original characters) is a huge undertaking for the programmers.

Yeah there is no reason to be mad at Capcom. They repeatedly said they would not release new characters as DLC while at the same time said they are working on new characters. 2+2=4

Minor tweaks and new stages don't mean much of anything to me (or most other casual fans, I would wager). Having a few extra characters is nice, but when it is essentially the same exact game that came out last year. . .forget it. This screams "downloadable content." They're just trying to milk fans for more money.

Fortunately, unlike some DLC stuff, the game itself is practically guaranteed to go down in value. So I will ultimately get this for <$20. Or, not at all :huh I don't blame Capcom for trying to make a profit, but I personally won't reinforce their behavior.

Well said.

Clearly this is going to come down to how much of a Street Fighter fan you are. I personally would have paid $60 for this new version, but again, I'm a huge Street Fighter nut. It's not really an argument that can be won. Either you buy it or you don't.

Also...SF II, SF Alpha, SF EX, SF III all had a minimum of 3 iterations before they moved onto a completely redesigned game. So one could make a safe assumption that SF IV could possibly receive another update again in say 18 months or so from now or the time this new version is released in 2010. I for one would welcome it especially since we may be looking at several years for a completely new Street Fighter to be made again. It took about ten years for this one.

Back