3.75" Collecting Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off I have no interest in paying $500 for a Sail Barge where maybe 80% is based on creative licence. Second when I close my eyes and think of Hasbro Star Wars vehicles (circa POTF days plus Big MF and AT AT 2.0) which I consider the glory days of SW vehicles I have a general feel of Hasbro quality!! Its not bad for the price I paid ($20 - $200)

So what is a $500 piece look like? HASLAB brought the “serious" at Toyfair introducing this new line. But how do they sell us this “serious”? 3D renderings and a unpainted model. So there is a huge grey area as to what this final look of this Barge will look like yet they are asking us for $500 commitment!!

If HL was serious they would have presented the audience with a fully painted complete proto type so those interested had a idea of the difference in quality between what we know of Hasbro Playsets and this new entity they call “HasLab”.

Yeah, there's no way the Sail Barge is happening. It's stupid. It should've been $400 at most, and they should've had it open to Canada from the beginning and not announce it nonchalantly a month in. I bet there's still Canadian fans who don't know they can order it.

I dunno. The idea of 2,212 more people deciding to back this during these last 15 days seems insane, unless Hasbro decides to actually advertise the damn thing.

Where's Threepio to tell us the odds?

It’s a cool idea by Hasbro to do this, but the sail barge is just not iconic enough to carry this project through. Really should have been a different vehicle, maybe even a smaller one at an easier price point..

It’s a cool idea by Hasbro to do this, but the sail barge is just not iconic enough to carry this project through. Really should have been a different vehicle, maybe even a smaller one at an easier price point..

Yeah I kind of agree - the barge was more a backdrop than a "character" - its key purpose would be as a display base for lots of figures, not necessarily as the vehicle first and the figures as supporting eye candy.

Vehicles like the AT-AT, Snowpseeder, speeder bike and the Falcon obviously are iconic - even the Star Destroyer - but the barge does have that "backdrop, not vehicle" thing partly because that's the way its used in the movie. You never see it in battle, chases or moving heroes or villains around scene to scene, it's a setting that gets blown up.

Yeah I kind of agree - the barge was more a backdrop than a "character" - its key purpose would be as a display base for lots of figures, not necessarily as the vehicle first and the figures as supporting eye candy.

Vehicles like the AT-AT, Snowpseeder, speeder bike and the Falcon obviously are iconic - even the Star Destroyer - but the barge does have that "backdrop, not vehicle" thing partly because that's the way its used in the movie. You never see it in battle, chases or moving heroes or villains around scene to scene, it's a setting that gets blown up.

I would have preferred a official Jabba's Throne Room or Cantina detailed diorama, something that I could finally place all my alien figures that I have been collecting since 1995.

Where's Threepio to tell us the odds?

giphy.gif

I would have preferred a official Jabba's Throne Room or Cantina detailed diorama, something that I could finally place all my alien figures that I have been collecting since 1995.

Yeah, me too - would love both of those. But hasbro was always pushing back against playsets despite doing a few like the Carbon Freeze in the early 2000's and a few basic dios like Lars homestead.

They've always had this idea that vehicles could be playsets (like interior of Falcon and ATAT) which has led us to a vehicle like the barge that doesn't have much "action" play value like the ATAT and Falcon do being used as a "playset."

I think it has plenty of action value. It was a backdrop and setting in a major action scene in ROTJ. There's tonnes of appropriate figures for both its interior and exterior. And it was something that could be made in a reasonable scale with figures and other vehicles. You can say some of these things about the Death Star or the Blockade Runner but not all of them.

Also :lol @ Captain Clown

Last edited:

The problem is the other vehicles were already made. The Barge is probably the only large vehicle that makes sense at this scale that was not already made. The Falcon and AT AT would just be a bigger version of what was already made.

Fully painted Barge pics and videos are up at Star Wars.com

"Today, StarWars.com is excited to reveal the first photos of Hasbro’s fully-painted prototype of Jabba’s Sail Barge. The attention to detail is truly stunning — from the weathered browns on the facade to the aged chrome piping that lines walls inside the vessel — requiring more than 200 hours and 50 paint colors."

I can't imagine they are going to put this much effort into painting the production version.

hasbro-jabbas-sail-barge-01.jpg

hasbro-jabbas-sail-barge-06.jpg

hasbro-jabbas-sail-barge-05.jpg

hasbro-jabbas-sail-barge-04.jpg

hasbro-jabbas-sail-barge-10.jpg

hasbro-jabbas-sail-barge-09.jpg

More at the website, I'm too lazy to continue...

3.75" Collecting Thread

Toyark has painted photos up. It looks pretty good. I bet the numbers start jumping soon as people start to see these.

Earthdog beat me to the scoop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks incredible. As do those new figures. They've done a great job on the various Klaatu-types -not necessarily all the Nikto, Barada and Weequay types though.

If the barge doesn't go ahead what a gut-punch to those who somehow kept their focus on Star Wars collecting during those barren years. At one time I was very focused on it but 2 things happened - I lost the ability to display my collection and then Hasbro stopped making anything of interest anyhow so I was distanced from it.

Hasbro notoriously photoshops weathering. I have to think they did the same here.

It looks incredible. As do those new figures. They've done a great job on the various Klaatu-types -not necessarily all the Nikto, Barada and Weequay types though.

If the barge doesn't go ahead what a gut-punch to those who somehow kept their focus on Star Wars collecting during those barren years. At one time I was very focused on it but 2 things happened - I lost the ability to display my collection and then Hasbro stopped making anything of interest anyhow so I was distanced from it.

I loved my Star Wars 3.75” collecting days. It was a childhood dream come true when Hasbro released figures like:

Kabe and Mufak
Bo Shek
Garindan
Wuher
Lak Sivrak
Cantina Alien (Cinema Scene)
Feltipern Trevagg
Dannik Jerriko
Myo
J’Quille
Amanaman
Ephant Mon
Hermie

Etc…

These were the glory days of 3.75 collecting. I need to go…..there’s something in my eye!!! Jermaine pass me a tissue!!!

Barge will now come with a exclusive Yakface on POTF card with coin. Now that could convince quite a few collectors on the fence to back the Barge. Also, before you ask, Yakface will also be vailable in the TVC line on a ROTJ card.

I was going to wait until the last day, but man, I couldn't hold back any longer. These photos got me too excited - it will crush me if this doesn't reach 5,000! I realized there may be a lot of people who were thinking like me - I'll wait til the end, and if it looks like it will make it, I'll bite. But that's a flawed way of thinking. There may be a hundred or more people thinking the same thing, and we'd essentially be killing the project because we were all waiting on one another to pull the trigger. So, it is done! I did it!

Back