2015 Summer Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did it look on screen?

I can't tell if you're trolling me or not, but in the name of progress i'll reply without being a smart ass.

review_silvercent_1.jpg

No I wasn't trolling. But I was pointing out that they make them look like (translated to actually move and have joints not a 3d image) they do on screen. So if (I can't recall off top my head, hence me asking) it had the predominantly red design then the figure will, and should, have that look. Hot toys has very little control over actual design choice. Their entire business model and pitch to get the license is faithful interpretation of the film design. Yes there are changes at times. But it's mostly due to going from a 3d image to an actual 3d product.

It will most likely be Iron Man because that's what sells. The only two I'm really interested in at this point are Blue Steel of course, and diecase Mark V.

No I wasn't trolling. But I was pointing out that they make them look like (translated to actually move and have joints not a 3d image) they do on screen. So if (I can't recall off top my head, hence me asking) it had the predominantly red design then the figure will, and should, have that look. Hot toys has very little control over actual design choice. Their entire business model and pitch to get the license is faithful interpretation of the film design. Yes there are changes at times. But it's mostly due to going from a 3d image to an actual 3d product.

I wasn't blaming HT for the color at all, I'm very aware they follow official designs... I was more aiming that statement on who did design the armors for the movie. It looks so much better with the biceps and thighs fully silver. I'm very aware it's my opinion, but it would make sense to have more silver in an armor with the word silver in it.

That being said, i've been considering getting a 2nd S.C. to do this custom, but have no idea how to go about it besides getting the figure itself.

Sorry, I thought you where blaming hot toys. My bad.

It does look good with more silver, but I'm sure there is a reason they went with the colors they did.

As for repainting it, a few folks on here could help. Check out the custom repainted Titan hulkbuster thread. If you have specific questions I'm sure someone would help. If you want I've done a fair bit of paint work and would offer help if you don't find anyone else.

It will be great if one of the summer exclusives - Ras Al Ghul or Joker Nurse. But in 90% I am sure that this someone from Iron Man :)

I wasn't blaming HT for the color at all, I'm very aware they follow official designs... I was more aiming that statement on who did design the armors for the movie. It looks so much better with the biceps and thighs fully silver. I'm very aware it's my opinion, but it would make sense to have more silver in an armor with the word silver in it.

That being said, i've been considering getting a 2nd S.C. to do this custom, but have no idea how to go about it besides getting the figure itself.

Out of curiosity I asked a few friends that worked on the film why they went with the predominantly red Mk33. The reason makes sense. I was told that becuase this suit was supposed to be from the movie world(obviously) and the film suits mostly have one predominant color and then high lights and what not they didn't want to use as much silver. It was tried and marvel said it didn't seem to fit with the overall design. They referenced the mk3 and 4 and said that the gold is just accents, and that had the mk33 been the primary armor it most likely would follow that design and paint scheme. They thought to much silver didn't fit.

So I guess they tried it and opted for the more red look. Makes sense I think.

Blue Steel is my guess also. I cant see them skipping an Iron Man Proto we've already seen. Plus it's just a straight repaint, so it's an easy and cheap exclusive to produce.

I thimk hot toys is focused on star wars right now especially coming out with1/4 scale ,in my opinion the best star wars figure to collect Boba fett started it off,no suprise and I'm sure there are much more plans in the works along with their other star wars figures,honestly i think Iron man has got his fair share of suits,but if they keep selling and people are still happy buying them,then keep it going,more movie characters and from series on H.b.o and Netflix etc... is where i think that they should be focused,i mean Rainman gets it,where is hot toys thinking,sounds like greed unfortunately to me. Everyone i hope eventually you'll ultimately just get what you want and enjoy it for all the years ahead of your life possible to come.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I thimk hot toys is focused on star wars right now especially coming out with1/4 scale ,in my opinion the best star wars figure to collect Boba fett started it off,no suprise and I'm sure there are much more plans in the works along with their other star wars figures,honestly i think Iron man has got his fair share of suits,but if they keep selling and people are still happy buying them,then keep it going,more movie characters and from series on H.b.o and Netflix etc... is where i think that they should be focused,i mean Rainman gets it,where is hot toys thinking,sounds like greed unfortunately to me. Everyone i hope eventually you'll ultimately just get what you want and enjoy it for all the years ahead of your life possible to come.

i don't know how you can say it's greed,yes hot toys make a lot of iron men but they usually sell out and they do it fairly quickly.they have done other movies,crow,avatar,Lone Ranger,Sweeney Todd and others and they don't sell half as good as iron man.rainman doesn't buy the likeness rights,if he makes a head and sells it for 200 dollars,he's spending 20 at most on materials and 20 for shipping,160 is his profit per head,if he sells 50 heads he makes 8 grand.when hot toys does a figure,there paying probly 5-10 grand just for the liscence.then you take your material costs of doing a whole figure and there profits aren't nearly as high per release as rainmans.so we're he can do a head and make decent money selling 100 of them,ht would loose money if they only sold 100 figures of a certain character.they need to sell 1000 to make a profit.so it's really not fair to compare them to rainman.

i don't know how you can say it's greed,yes hot toys make a lot of iron men but they usually sell out and they do it fairly quickly.they have done other movies,crow,avatar,Lone Ranger,Sweeney Todd and others and they don't sell half as good as iron man.rainman doesn't buy the likeness rights,if he makes a head and sells it for 200 dollars,he's spending 20 at most on materials and 20 for shipping,160 is his profit per head,if he sells 50 heads he makes 8 grand.when hot toys does a figure,there paying probly 5-10 grand just for the liscence.then you take your material costs of doing a whole figure and there profits aren't nearly as high per release as rainmans.so we're he can do a head and make decent money selling 100 of them,ht would loose money if they only sold 100 figures of a certain character.they need to sell 1000 to make a profit.so it's really not fair to compare them to rainman.

Right premise. Just way low on the numbers. They need to sell thousandS to make a profit. The license is more expensive then 5-10k. By a fair amount. And where a small customization seller can use rubber molds and hand paint all at a home based studio, and not have to worry about building, customs, taxes, safety, ect..hot toys does. And they have to pay for tooling for machine injection molds or press forms (diecast). Those can costs tens of thousands of dollars for one figure if it's really complex. There's no comparison between a small unlicensed seller and licensed goods(didn't even take labor and time into account..hot toys has to get multiple approvals for every figure and box art and press release and marketing art which takes shipping costs, it takes man hours and it takes time. And then you may be forced to completly start over)

All that said...I think the guy you quoted was talking about the focus of what is made, not how it's made. Lol

Which is also not a good comparison. Again, one place has to negotiate and pay for licensing rights which cost larges amounts of money. When a tv show at bring, at best 20 million viewers..the films can do 100 times that. Or more. (And only one non network scripted show hot the 20 mill viewers, walking dead. The genre shows usually avera 1-3 million which means the potential advance is 1000 times greater). And it's a numbers game. To justify the outlay in man hours to negotiate a deal, build a prototype, get approvals, build the figure, get more approvals, do the box art, get more approvals...TV shows just have not demonstrated thus far that they have the numbers t make it worth the risk. No one knows for sure what will sell great and what won't. But it's risk reward. And looking at the glut of upcoming movie content to pull product from it would seem like bad business to slow one of those releases in favor of a a TV show product that's u not sell. Not when you have 20 marvel movies, 20 DC movies, 10 Star Wars movies, three potential alien films, and two predator films, three xmen films with fox actually getting the likeness rights...

I was comparing hot toys and rainman as getting the concept of what characters people are more interested in from a variety of classic movies. In my personal opinion i think rainman gets the idea of what characters people who want other figures outside of star wars etc... The comparison i made had nothing to do with greed between rainman and hot toys,but that hot toys is ultimately becoming more greedy. Sorry if i didn't make myself clear.

I was comparing that rainman gets the idea of what movie characters people want outside of star wars etc... Hot toys was who i think is becoming greedy unfortunately,Rainman is by far greedy,so sorry if my opinion wasn't texted correctly the first time around.

I was comparing hot toys and rainman as getting the concept of what characters people are more interested in from a variety of classic movies. In my personal opinion i think rainman gets the idea of what characters people who want other figures outside of star wars etc... The comparison i made had nothing to do with greed between rainman and hot toys,but that hot toys is ultimately becoming more greedy. Sorry if i didn't make myself clear.

And I got that. Which is why I explained why what he does and what hot toys does are not fair comparison. What hot toys does, it's not just about greed. The longer a company is in business, the larger it gets, the more money it needs to cover costs. And you do understand that hot toys is a business. The entire point it making money. What rainman does is a hobby. He doesn't have any of the costs an actual business does. He doesn't have to pay licensing fees. Meaning each character and property is on equal footing. That's not how a licensed business like hot toys can operate. You are failing to understand how the business side works.

And just becuase you think rainmans characters are good doesn't mean others do(as in the characters not the quality of the work). For what it costs to make legally(again, rainman does not pay any of the tax, fees, qc, licensing, likeness) the small TV characters are not good business. hot toys sells what people buy. By definition you argument is wrong. The fact hot toys continues to sell iron man and Star Wars means those are what collectors want. Not the HBO and TV stuff.

And you keep bringing up Star Wars. Hot toys has made 280 figures that are not marvel or Star Wars. That's MANY MANY more then rainman.

When do the summer exclusives get announced? Summer is almost over. Am I wrong in assuming Maria Hill and Tank, etc. were what we got?

And I got that. Which is why I explained why what he does and what hot toys does are not fair comparison. What hot toys does, it's not just about greed. The longer a company is in business, the larger it gets, the more money it needs to cover costs. And you do understand that hot toys is a business. The entire point it making money. What rainman does is a hobby. He doesn't have any of the costs an actual business does. He doesn't have to pay licensing fees. Meaning each character and property is on equal footing. That's not how a licensed business like hot toys can operate. You are failing to understand how the business side works.

And just becuase you think rainmans characters are good doesn't mean others do(as in the characters not the quality of the work). For what it costs to make legally(again, rainman does not pay any of the tax, fees, qc, licensing, likeness) the small TV characters are not good business. hot toys sells what people buy. By definition you argument is wrong. The fact hot toys continues to sell iron man and Star Wars means those are what collectors want. Not the HBO and TV stuff.

And you keep bringing up Star Wars. Hot toys has made 280 figures that are not marvel or Star Wars. That's MANY MANY more then rainman.
I get the business aspects of it,I'm only comparing hot toys to rainman because i like the work he does better the hot toys and he has such a smaller team to work with and in my opinion comes out with better figures. Wether rainman does it as a hobby or not it's still a business for him as well as all the other custom artists out there. I appreciate your opinion and and hope you do mine as well,this is what makes this a open forum. Enjoy your day and collecting.

Learning stuff everyday...so we should expect a Summer Exclusive figure in the next two weeks or so?

It may not be my place to say since I've only been collecting since April, but Peacemaker was released last year as a 2014 summer exclusive and Midas was released the year before that as a 2013 summer exclusive. Therefore, it's fair to assume that there will be a 2015 summer exclusive as well, and equally fair to assume it will be an Iron Man figure that is easy to make (i.e. a repaint), with one of the most obvious possibilities being Blue Steel. I can tell you that I certainly have my fingers crossed!

Back