2015 Summer Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely a mk 3, wonder if its the OG stealth mk 3 they showed all those years ago, except on the new mk 3 chasis. would make sense too as they need to milk that all new mold

I don't know of any company can do an entire production run with a single set of molds and the number of molds required to do the run varies for each part depending on various factors such as injection pressure, complexity of the mold, the heat required to prime the mold etc....

The larger or more complex the part the short it's life span.

..... And factor in the mk3 const. That's the reason they did the mk3 first, as a redo of an already released figure. It lowers the risk and cost by spreading the tooling out across three unique (at least three) figures..........

Are you saying that the Mark 3 construction figure was made from the same molds as the Die Cast Mark 3?

Yes that's what I'm saying.

And yes molds wear down. Which is why they don't use normal molds. They use a tooling. And they can take more then enough to make multiple runs. At worst they require what's called clean up. But with modern technology and techniques that's usually minor. For one to completly wear out, not really. Die cast wears out faster becuase the tooling (it's essentially a form) is subjected to massive pressure. Tons of weight each time.

Tooling is expensive. Very very expensive. But they don't wear out very often. Not to wear it takes more then a trip to the tool/die shop for a quick clean up of details. It's the same process Pepsi and coke use. And they can run millions of bottles on one set of "molds". And the temps and materials are not that different.

For those that hadn't seen the old mk3 stealth proto here's a pic..
image.jpg.

Last edited:
Outside of a few figures (milk, silly things, stealth, the other gunmetal) most iron man releases are from the films. A variant of the mk3 doesn't mean just something like those. Midas is a variant mk7. Tank is a variant heartbreaker. Mk3 is a variant mk2. Those are just paint app ones. Then you get the mk9 that's coming with pepper...it's a variant of a few other armors. The is could be those just as likely as it is some gunmetal or milk repaint. All we can see from that photo is the upper chest portion of the mk3.

My point is, a variant using the same molds is 80-90% of most figures. Heck mk6 is more or less a variant mk4(just a few tweaks). Out of 450-500 figures hot toys has released only 1% have been some kind of creative paint on a figure not on screen. I wouldn't bet on those odds (though it's possible obviously)..as for a BD variant..I'm with you mostly. I prefer the clean look as well. But doing a BD version is not something I would complain about. Anything that can increase their profit is good for me. It means they can take risks on less known characters. It means they can grow and I get mor choice. Fine with me.

Oh yeah definitely. As someone who has aspired to collect all 45 Iron Man armors (I predict exactly 50 by the end of Infinity Wars), I have come to terms with the fact that many of the armors from Iron Man 3 are complete repaints of others, or are built using various parts of others.

The thing is... I can comfortably pose my Mark 42 and Mark 43 together because I know they're meant to be two separate armors even though they're identical under the paint (aside from the small design improvements between the two figures). The same goes for Mark VII and Midas, Heartbreaker and Tank, Silver Centurion and Blue Steel, Shotgun and Shades, Striker and Gamma, Hot Rod and War Machine Mark II, and so on. I can include each of those pairs together in my display and have no problem, because I know they're two different armors with different "Mark" numbers and different functions (e.g. Shotgun is meant for speed and Shades is meant for extreme heat resistance). But, if I were to purchase a second Mark III (battle damage, stealth, etc.) and include it in my display with the regular one, the second one would awkwardly stand out in my mind because I'd always know that Tony Stark built, used, and displayed only one Mark III armor. As such, having a second Mark III would simply drive me crazy. It's for a similar reason that I skipped the Stealth Mark VII after I'd bought the regular Mark VII, but that's also because the stealth variant wasn't canon like I mentioned before. It really just boils down to my desire to perfectly replicate Tony Stark's collection of armors.

I know this explanation must sound incredibly strange, but that's just how I think about it. I'm not sure if it's because I'm a perfectionist, or because I'm just weird. :lol

Oh yeah definitely. As someone who has aspired to collect all 45 Iron Man armors (I predict exactly 50 by the end of Infinity Wars), I have come to terms with the fact that many of the armors from Iron Man 3 are complete repaints of others, or are built using various parts of others.

The thing is... I can comfortably pose my Mark 42 and Mark 43 together because I know they're meant to be two separate armors even though they're identical under the paint (aside from the small design improvements between the two figures). The same goes for Mark VII and Midas, Heartbreaker and Tank, Silver Centurion and Blue Steel, Shotgun and Shades, Striker and Gamma, Hot Rod and War Machine Mark II, and so on. I can include each of those pairs together in my display and have no problem, because I know they're two different armors with different "Mark" numbers and different functions (e.g. Shotgun is meant for speed and Shades is meant for extreme heat resistance). But, if I were to purchase a second Mark III (battle damage, stealth, etc.) and include it in my display with the regular one, the second one would awkwardly stand out in my mind because I'd always know that Tony Stark built, used, and displayed only one Mark III armor. As such, having a second Mark III would simply drive me crazy. It's for a similar reason that I skipped the Stealth Mark VII after I'd bought the regular Mark VII, but that's also because the stealth variant wasn't canon like I mentioned before. It really just boils down to my desire to perfectly replicate Tony Stark's collection of armors.

I know this explanation must sound incredibly strange, but that's just how I think about it. I'm not sure if it's because I'm a perfectionist, or because I'm just weird. :lol

I'm the same way, I am out for all the HPP but have very little interest in the fantasy variants and special editions (stealth, secret project, milk, etc), maybe battle damage but I wouldn't want two figures of the same Mark on display so it'd have to be one or the other. I like the variety and color of the HPP but at least there is a set number of designs. With the other stuff the sky is the limit and they could do grey or black or gunmetal or black/white versions till the end of time. Unless they look uncommonly cool I don't desire to have them. If I had the grey ones I'd sell them immediately for the price they go for, and get several figures with the proceeds. Plus the HPP existed as an interacting group so I like how they display as a group, prob a similar reason I don't really like having multiple human figures of the same character in the same display, as I don't picture several Captain America's together in a group. Just me.

The only non film variant I can think of wanting would be the original black Nightclub
WufIDju.jpg

Especially as I am sure they only went red/gold as two dark armors in a row (Nightclub then Shotgun) may have clashed too much visually for them
8eiH2xu.png

I'm the same way, I am out for all the HPP but have very little interest in the fantasy variants and special editions (stealth, secret project, milk, etc), maybe battle damage but I wouldn't want two figures of the same Mark on display so it'd have to be one or the other. I like the variety and color of the HPP but at least there is a set number of designs. With the other stuff the sky is the limit and they could do grey or black or gunmetal or black/white versions till the end of time. Unless they look uncommonly cool I don't desire to have them. If I had the grey ones I'd sell them immediately for the price they go for, and get several figures with the proceeds. Plus the HPP existed as an interacting group so I like how they display as a group, prob a similar reason I don't really like having multiple human figures of the same character in the same display, as I don't picture several Captain America's together in a group. Just me.

The only non film variant I can think of wanting would be the original black Nightclub
WufIDju.jpg

Especially as I am sure they only went red/gold as two dark armors in a row (Nightclub then Shotgun) may have clashed too much visually for them
8eiH2xu.png

:goodpost: :exactly:

Yes! I'm really happy to hear that someone else thinks like I do! :D I agree entirely. Having exactly one version of each character and one version of each armor is exactly how I plan to collect. If I were to acquire any of the variants, I would do just as you would and sell them, then turn around and use that money to buy something more "standard" or save up for the next release.

As for Nightclub, that's one of my favorite HPP armors, and I'm really hoping it's one of the next ones in line for release. I've always wondered why they modified the color scheme for the movie, but your theory sounds like a very good reason. I'm a fan of both the original version and the film version, but for the sake of screen accuracy I'd choose the film version if HT released both. However, the black one looks equally cool and might (big emphasis on "might") cause me to make an exception to my "one copy of each armor" rule.

As for Nightclub, that's one of my favorite HPP armors, and I'm really hoping it's one of the next ones in line for release. I've always wondered why they modified the color scheme for the movie, but your theory sounds like a very good reason. I'm a fan of both the original version and the film version, but for the sake of screen accuracy I'd choose the film version if HT released both. However, the black one looks equally cool and might (big emphasis on "might") cause me to make an exception to my "one copy of each armor" rule.

9VDMmZT.jpg

FnpLNjL.jpg

TIL4zAD.jpg

:yess:

It's such a cool looking armor. I'm especially a fan of the unique helmet and the fins around its shoulders. I really want this one.

I'm baffled as to how HT hasn't made this armor yet, especially considering Tony actually wore this one and it got a significant amount of screen time. Not to mention, and I hate to use a word with such a negative connotation like "milking" even though it's what they'd be doing, it's an easy opportunity to make two figures with the same sculpt, the film version and the original black version.

They probably want to space out the most wanted armours to keep collectors interest over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish we would get a new armor but I'm sure we will just get an alternate armor based on one of the armors that have already released.

My guess is Blue Steel which I won't buy since I only have 6 bays available in my wine cellar.

I hadn't considered Night Club but now he has made the list

In this picture the Mark 2 War Machine has been moved to my Avengers shelf. The Mark 7 SM is gone and I plan to move the Mark 42 and IP to the living room floor of the display

So this is what I plan to buy to finish it off

• Striker
  • Shotgun
  • Hammerhead
  • Sneaky
  • Nightclub
  • Undecided

"Nightclub" - Looks pretty good, but want to see prototype if that real.

Back