1/6th Scale Sideshow Landspeeder (in development)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m pretty skeptical that even a company like Sideshow would go to that amount of trouble. Plus, an empty land speeder would be one thing, but I imagine most people are going to want to display a 1:6 speeder with Luke, Ben and the droids (don’t really see sense in displaying an empty speeder in same scale as figures, otherwise). No way magnets would be powerful enough to lift all that weight (not to mention compensate for weight not being even throughout speeder). It's a cool idea but doesn't seem feasible.

While cool, I do have to agree, weight distribution would probably kill that whole fantasy.

If they could do it, I could not resist buying it. But otherwise, I think I will have to pass on that one, unless it was much less expensive than I would have thought.

Just picked me up a SSC Luke Tatooine new for $50 for when this sucker hits.

I'm going to replace the head with the Hot Toys as well.

Me too I just picked up Luke and Ben.

And yeah... Ben is the best "human" likeness that SSC has ever done. I'm so happy I tracked him down. Bring on the Landspeeder, so I don't have to custom build one this summer! :impatient:

This is not my picture, but this is the actual model used in the movie for the far away shots. It is part of the From Science to Imagination exhibit. They basically had Ken dolls in there. It gives you an idea of the size this thing could be.

starwars_landspeeder2.jpg

:goodpost:

When the Star Wars Exhibit came to Philadelphia in 2008 my friends and I saw it at the Franklin Institute. It was one of the first displays they had when you walked in. It stopped me right in my tracks. I was mesmerized by the sight of a 1/6 scale Landspeeder, plus it was the same one used in the production of the movie so it just added to the aura it gave off.
One thing that always striked me as being cool was all the figures were Steve Austin from the Six Million Dollar Man, just with different clothing and some touch ups on the face. It kinda took me back; in 1975/76 when they must have made this really the only 1/6 figure out there that would have fit were these Steve Austin figures. It made me more nostalgic and I loved it even more.

I dunno... Sir Alec Guinness as Ben I think is iconic enough that I could see Hot Toys wanting to take a crack at him. Personally, only way I'd add Ep IV Ben to my collection is if it does eventually get re-released to HT standards (not to diss SSC Ben or those that own that figure and like it). I'm pretty sure that all the older SSC human characters will get a re-release, really. I mean, how do you display HT Bespin Luke next to SSC ANH Solo or Ben without noticing the huge difference in paint quality/sculpt and features like PERS?

Sideshow's Ben Kenobi is awesome, they really did an amazing job and I reckon it's the one human figure that will hold up to the HT Luke(which still needs a good tweaking).

SSC Farmboy Luke was really ordinary in my opinion and I won't get the Medi Droids, so if a Landspeeder is released all I'll have is Old Ben behind the wheel.

Yeah, might have to rethink my stance on old Ben. Seems like that figure gets universal praise. If it's not too pricey on the secondary market, maybe I'll try and track one down.

Screw the Batmobile.... this I would get. :drool This was the first "big" Star Wars thing I remember buying with my own money when I was a kid (if you call $8 big which is what I think it cost back then :)). I wanted the x-wing fighter but I didn't have enough so I got the landspeeder.

Last edited:
Thats a great shot of the miniature prop, funny thing is they did not have the little back seat so I assume they just cut 3PO's legs off - hope thats not Sideshow's solution. :lol

With the Tumbler getting a re-release, and the Batmobile coming 2nd quarter 2013, I'd guess a 3rd-4th quarter 2013 release? Hoping it's plastic (for weight) as well.

:goodpost:

When the Star Wars Exhibit came to Philadelphia in 2008 my friends and I saw it at the Franklin Institute. It was one of the first displays they had when you walked in. It stopped me right in my tracks. I was mesmerized by the sight of a 1/6 scale Landspeeder, plus it was the same one used in the production of the movie so it just added to the aura it gave off.
One thing that always striked me as being cool was all the figures were Steve Austin from the Six Million Dollar Man, just with different clothing and some touch ups on the face. It kinda took me back; in 1975/76 when they must have made this really the only 1/6 figure out there that would have fit were these Steve Austin figures. It made me more nostalgic and I loved it even more.

I agree, this is one of my favorite original scale models from the film. While they used 6 Million Dollar man figures here, keep in mind that the 12" GI Joe figures from the 60's were approx. 1/6 scale as well! :)

It's almost certain SS will re-release (or better yet update) a Luke figure alongside the release of the speeder. Just like they released a new sandtrooper to go with the dewback.
The only land-based ride that is MORE iconic than the landspeeder is... BANTHA! With the recent pre-order of the Tuskan Raider, let's all hope a Bantha isn't too far behind.

I’m pretty skeptical that even a company like Sideshow would go to that amount of trouble. Plus, an empty land speeder would be one thing, but I imagine most people are going to want to display a 1:6 speeder with Luke, Ben and the droids (don’t really see sense in displaying an empty speeder in same scale as figures, otherwise). No way magnets would be powerful enough to lift all that weight (not to mention compensate for weight not being even throughout speeder). It's a cool idea but doesn't seem feasible.

Rare earth neodymium magnets would definitely be strong enough to hold up the speeder and figures. If you use enough of them on the bottom of the speeder and particularly on the base, it can be done. However, all those magnets will increase the cost by over $100.
The "real" one had wheels an had mirrors angled down to reflect the sand around it to make it appear to be floating.

Rare earth neodymium magnets would definitely be strong enough to hold up the speeder and figures. If you use enough of them on the bottom of the speeder and particularly on the base, it can be done. However, all those magnets will increase the cost by over $100.
The "real" one had wheels an had mirrors angled down to reflect the sand around it to make it appear to be floating.

Wouldn't the whole speeder just slip to 1 side from the magnets resisting?

Wouldn't the whole speeder just slip to 1 side from the magnets resisting?

If there was only one magnet on the speeder and one on the base, yes. There would have to be multiple magnets oriented in such away that the base magnets would point slightly inboard on the outer edge and the speeder would point either straight down or slightly outward. They would need to be balanced in such away that they would tend to keep the speeder centered on the base. I believe it is possible, but in a way, the mirror idea is more versatile, and considering it is how they built the real one, I think that is the way to go.

Anyone that has played with magnets knows that they tend not to stay in one place when you put opposite ends next to each other, and I think this is why you ask.

Next up, the landspeeder bullet train car. :)

Back