1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man - see, ^ this ^ pic of McHaley's speaks volumes. That helmet & mask is BANG ON.

Indiana; great mod with that Hasbro Shaw head - what a likeness!

Honestly, what does it say, when Hasbro can release an excellent Shaw head sculpt, & yet SSC are STILL struggling with even the basics? :ohbfrank:

Word. Every time McHaley shows off one of his figures it makes me want to toss mine in the trash and quit collecting. :lol I've been super tempted to do something like McHaley here.

Isn't the Kaiyodo a smaller scale? How is that going to work on the Sideshow body?

And yeah, that Shaw sculpt has a way better likeness. I love the Medi sculpt too. The SSC sculpt is a good sculpt. It have good paint and overall very good production but it ain't what we saw on screen. The likeness is there but in a 'mythos' sorta way.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Honestly, what does it say, when Hasbro can release an excellent Shaw head sculpt, & yet SSC are STILL struggling with even the basics? :ohbfrank:

And yeah, that Shaw sculpt has a way better likeness. … The SSC sculpt is a good sculpt. It have good paint and overall very good production but it ain't what we saw on screen.

You guys crack me up. :)

Sideshow, movie still, Hasbro

Things to ignore: The eyebrows and the fact that both Sideshow and Hasbro sculpts are not supposed to be an "about to die" Anakin. In other words, neither sculpt is what we saw on screen. But the Sideshow sculpt is still pretty much better in every respect - as it should be.

Last edited:
The kaiyodo kit parts are a lot more true to 1/6 the belt boxes chest box and mask are almost perfect 1/6 of the real thing , we know, we measured
Steph x

Word. Every time McHaley shows off one of his figures it makes me want to toss mine in the trash and quit collecting. :lol I've been super tempted to do something like McHaley here.

Isn't the Kaiyodo a smaller scale? How is that going to work on the Sideshow body?

And yeah, that Shaw sculpt has a way better likeness. I love the Medi sculpt too. The SSC sculpt is a good sculpt. It have good paint and overall very good production but it ain't what we saw on screen. The likeness is there but in a 'mythos' sorta way.

Things to ignore: The eyebrows and the fact that both Sideshow and Hasbro sculpts are not supposed to be an "about to die" Anakin. In other words, neither sculpt is what we saw on screen. But the Sideshow sculpt is still pretty much better in every respect - as it should be.

What's cracking you up about my post? If anything I said plenty good about the SSC head, moreso than the Hasbro.

This was once the hasbro sculpt , this version was experimental with glass eyes
2012_01230069.jpg

Here's some Loose Fitting pics I posted a while back with the Kaiyodo head/Hasbro helmet atop of the Sideshow Body.

Attachments

• FitLs7.jpg
    FitLs7.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 298
  • FitLs8.jpg
    FitLs8.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 296
  • Hieght.jpg
    Hieght.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 295
Here's some Loose Fitting pics I posted a while back with the Kaiyodo head/Hasbro helmet atop of the Sideshow Body.

I can't remember if you've mentioned it, but will you be shaving down the inside of the Hasbro helmet to give it a lighter/thinner appearance? I'm liking the height of the chest armor, but I'm not sold on its width relative to the rest of the figure. It can also do with some thinning to disguise the toy-like casting. However, it's amazing how different the whole thing looks from one picture to the next.

I can't remember if you've mentioned it, but will you be shaving down the inside of the Hasbro helmet to give it a lighter/thinner appearance? I'm liking the height of the chest armor, but I'm not sold on its width relative to the rest of the figure. It can also do with some thinning to disguise the toy-like casting. However, it's amazing how different the whole thing looks from one picture to the next.
I've already shaved the Chest armor. At this point, I'm not to worried about the width...final fittings will tell what needs to me modified more. It's more in the Shoulder bells that I'm thinking on what may need to be done size/wise.
FitLs11.jpg
As for the Helmet, I've already shaved the inside out as far as I want to. I think we differ on the thickness of the Helmet. Either way, the thickness is where I want it now. The inside as a rougher appearance that I'll spray with Satin, while the outer will get a gloss black paint and a high gloss coat. That will blacken it up and make it much less 'toy' like. Same with the Chest armor.

What bothers me most about seeing the Hasbro helmet on a higher end figure is the thickness at the leading edges - around the face mask and the bottom of the back flare. I'm not certain how thick it is on your current modified helmet, but I know the original unmodified helmet is over 2mm thick, which at 1/6 scale would be a somewhat ridiculous 12mm. While overall size on some of the Hasbro items is pretty good, even very good, the mold definition and casting are simply miles away from the quality of the original Sideshow figure. These soft details are what give a more toy-like appearance.

I dig the bottom one.
Huh&iì
In the words of King Darkness, 'Sith eyes are PT ka-ka.' But I must admit, the new Anakin reveal head looks pretty cool with Sith eyes. Silver Surfer did his like for anyone that doesn't know.

With respect to all colleagues and their opinions, I also love and have many Sideshow figures, but I have to say that Vader has made ​​him difficult to Sideshow and I still think that the best figure of this character is Darth Vader Medicom 2.0 but you Give you some improvements as I did , I really see the face of Vader sideshow and is not at all similar but nothing at all , clothing is of a purple color is not black , the suit is not faithful to the movie the hull is assembled and glued and not one piece.

**The Medicom figure is of a higher quality clothing , costume and fidelity to the movie , brightness, and this version is not bad quality I have since I came out and already has 02 years , and nothing at all, and be honest I had the sideshow ANH and also had control problems Quality saber broke me , among other things.
Here we have some pictures to do their analysis will sand the lightsaber to put thin at the tip, you change the chain layer a thicker and black and I made a plaster base (see that sideshow is I copy my model to make your own jajajajaja :lol). Is that the problem is the height but not as noticeable as if they are the problems of this sideshow figure. is nothing , to be honest.

IMG_0178.JPGIMG_0180.JPGIMG_0183.JPGIMG_0189.JPGIMG_0193.JPGIMG_0194.JPGIMG_0196.JPGIMG_0188.JPGIMG_0186.JPGIMG_0202.JPG

Genuinely interested to see what you've been working on, Pixel.
I hear what your saying... but to me, if the literal translation down to 1/6 doesn't look satisfying to my eye then, I'll go a different rout. If Sideshow's helmet is closer to that literal translation, that's one thing, but (again..to me) it looks almost 'eggshell' in it's durability. As nice as it's overall presentation is.
Opinions, other than that our own (especially between customizers) are rarely heeded or respected and often ignored. Still, with that in mind, I've seen others make so many mistakes and overworked their figures to try and get things 'accurate' that the end result yields a pile expensive crap.
As long as they had fun getting there...

Sideshow … clothing is of a purple color is not black

Wait, what? I (and everyone else who has this figure in hand) can assure you that no part of the clothing, including plastic parts, is purple. Not by any stretch of the imagination. As far as the images go, this isn't the Medicom Vader thread, so...

With respect to you and your opinion (and as a owner of a Medi Vader 1.0) there's nothing here (mask, dome, clothing, suit) that I find better than SSC. Maybe (and I say maybe) the bald guy inside the mask...but I wouldn't diplay him at gunpoint.

I've seen others make so many mistakes and overworked their figures to try and get things 'accurate' that the end result yields a pile expensive crap.

I completely agree here, which is one of the reasons I'm sticking to using only Sideshow's original parts here. Trying to keep my mods as simple and quick (and low-cost!) as possible, and I'm not striving for fine screen accuracy as that would simply not be possible using only the Sideshow parts - I've already mentioned that there isn't a single part Sideshow included on this figure that does not have issues. My primary goal is height correction to provide scale with my other figures and fitment of clothing and accessories.

What bothers me most about seeing the Hasbro helmet on a higher end figure is the thickness at the leading edges - around the face mask and the bottom of the back flare. I'm not certain how thick it is on your current modified helmet, but I know the original unmodified helmet is over 2mm thick, which at 1/6 scale would be a somewhat ridiculous 12mm. While overall size on some of the Hasbro items is pretty good, even very good, the mold definition and casting are simply miles away from the quality of the original Sideshow figure. These soft details are what give a more toy-like appearance.

Thickness, dealt with

I completely agree here, which is one of the reasons I'm sticking to using only Sideshow's original parts here. Trying to keep my mods as simple and quick (and low-cost!) as possible, and I'm not striving for fine screen accuracy as that would simply not be possible using only the Sideshow parts - I've already mentioned that there isn't a single part Sideshow included on this figure that does not have issues. My primary goal is height correction to provide scale with my other figures and fitment of clothing and accessories.
Yep...with this statement, we are making 2 very different figures.
If I were to just fix the height on the Sideshow figure, all the other things that bother me about it would still be there.
And some of my mods take years, because after I'm done, I always see something that can be a little bit better. 'Quick' never enters the equation for me.

Back