1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agonistes86, that looks like a guy in the suit. Fantastic stuff. I wish I had access to the Kaiyodo parts.

I've started to kitbash an Empire Strikes Back Vader. I have quite a few face masks and domes(Hasbro, HT, SSC), trying to figure out the best combination.

Here is the Sideshow ESB/ROTJ mask with the HT ANH dome.

View attachment 314908

View attachment 314923

I need to make some adjustments, was hoping to get some opinions from you guys.

I'd go with the HT mask and helmet all day long..

I don't know, I've studied that Kaiyodo mask and even after being modded and fixed up it still looks a bit off to me. It's asymmetrical, but in the opposite way that it should be (his right cheek is bigger than the left, and the mouth droops down on the right side instead of on the left, etc).

I see your point about the more accurately scaled sizes though. I'm just more than happy with the results people are getting with the HT Vaders and find those to be already enough of a massive improvement over the SS Vaders we had to work with before.

Yeah the kaiyodo mask was cast the wrong way round which is it's biggest flaw,also the chin should bulge out more but it's still more accurate than HT where for me the eye sculpt and nose plug are it's biggest let downs..

Hey there Chakaman, I've got one of those Kaiyodo kits and you can have it for free if you want it. I didn't know people were still modding those things with the new HT Vaders available, but if you or someone else still wants to use them I guess the one I have might as well not go to waste. :)

Thanks mate. :)

I appreciate the feedback guys. I'm just experimenting right now.

Looking forward to having a Kaiyodo kit to work with.

Yeah the kaiyodo mask was cast the wrong way round which is it's biggest flaw,also the chin should bulge out more but it's still more accurate than HT where for me the eye sculpt and nose plug are it's biggest let downs..

Yeah when I look at the reflection in a mirror it looks absolutely perfect, and like it's right out of the movie. Unfortunately now that I know it's backwards it's just not something I can unsee anymore.

How well does Kaiyodo compare to the Hasbro ESB Titanium?

Is that the one that comes in the two pack with the rebels stormie, or a newer/upcoming release?

Yeah when I look at the reflection in a mirror it looks absolutely perfect, and like it's right out of the movie. Unfortunately now that I know it's backwards it's just not something I can unsee anymore.

Yeah, I think Hurricane did something to reverse that backwards thing. Even though his facemask is more than 3/4's the base Kaiyodo, he added some resculpting to the cheeks.

Until I get the Kaiyodo kit, I'm going to go with the HT mask/dome.

20170109_195226.jpg

Really looking forward to building the ultimate ESB Vader.

Dave, thanks again mate. :)

Looking forward to your progress. :) Hit me up if you have any questions during, happy to share any tips from my experience.

I appreciate that, thanks. Your Vader is impressive, looks like a man in the suit. I will be using your pics as reference.

Really looking forward to "Frankenstein-ing" a ESB Vader from all the various sources/manufacturers.

I have the SS Deluxe Vader but was never thrilled with him so I started acquiring some parts and pieces to make improvements. So far I have:

SS Deluxe Vader
SS ANH Body Suit
SS ANH Shinguards
SS RotJ full set of hands

I was planning on changing out the head to the HT RO Vader because... SS

And I've never been happy about his height so I was going to get a HT Vader body.

But at this point the RO Vader looks really good and is a much better height so why not wait for HT's eventual RotJ Vader.

Not really sure what I should be doing, looking for some advice...

I have the SS Deluxe Vader but was never thrilled with him so I started acquiring some parts and pieces to make improvements. So far I have:

SS Deluxe Vader
SS ANH Body Suit
SS ANH Shinguards
SS RotJ full set of hands

I was planning on changing out the head to the HT RO Vader because... SS

And I've never been happy about his height so I was going to get a HT Vader body.

But at this point the RO Vader looks really good and is a much better height so why not wait for HT's eventual RotJ Vader.

Not really sure what I should be doing, looking for some advice...

Well if you acquire all those parts, you'll have the makings of a pretty nice ESB/ROTJ Vader. A new HT body and head will run you some coin ($100 at least if you can find the head cheap), so you should take that into account. Otherwise, you can get the RO version and swap out the chest box and maybe add a small hook for the cape chain. You may still need to get a new cod piece to replace that space diaper, if that matters to you.

If you are patient and don't need an ESB/ROTJ Vader right now, I say wait for the HT version.

I'm fairly happy with my SS ROTJ Vader, once I shortened the lower torso and swapped the head out.

20170110_125410_zpsfix7w5xp.jpg

Well if you acquire all those parts, you'll have the makings of a pretty nice ESB/ROTJ Vader. A new HT body and head will run you some coin ($100 at least if you can find the head cheap), so you should take that into account. Otherwise, you can get the RO version and swap out the chest box and maybe add a small hook for the cape chain. You may still need to get a new cod piece to replace that space diaper, if that matters to you.

If you are patient and don't need an ESB/ROTJ Vader right now, I say wait for the HT version.

I'm fairly happy with my SS ROTJ Vader, once I shortened the lower torso and swapped the head out.

20170110_125410_zpsfix7w5xp.jpg

I'm happy with yours too, I'm close but think I'm going to give up and sell what I have. I don't mind the wait for HT RotJ Vader.

Of course that one will probably come out ½" too short with impossible switches to turn on the chest and belts.

Just trying out the HT RO shoulder armor on the SS ROTJ. I did not modify the shoulder bells to sit lower, but they seem to slope down enough under the weight of the cape:

20170112_110257-1_zpstdeqwjpj.jpg
20170112_110103_zpsf6ugyvdg.jpg

Back