1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pixel, though selling in the commerce section is a privilege for premium members only the board does not discourage the normal flow of organic think tank discussion, such as that which has occurred here.

Flosi, while I respect your opinion, it is not at all in line with what was specifically expressed by Dave in discussions about this very subject in the Prem forum. I posted a friendly reminder/suggestion to help prevent anyone getting in trouble. It could have ended there. Someone else may have reported the posts for moderator action, as Dave has requested. Keeping the thread on topic was the goal - a desire we apparently share.

I find that I'm liking the stock body (for now). I think the height/proportion is better than I first thought and that it's the stock Head/dome that throws it off a bit. The SSC mask looks to elongated (to me) making the Vader's noggin to tall, pushing the figure up in height.
I lightly padded the body were I wanted the muscle tone brought out a little. Everything else is just sitting on top of this figure. Nothing has been trimmed, shaped or painted for the final look. This is just another loose fitting, but things are looking good.
The feet through the whole figure off...they're HUGE. Those and the Gloves are far from finalized. More on the recipe, when I'm satisfied that everything fits and looks good. Don't want to steer anyone ins the wrong direction. At this point Vader is just under 13.5" tall.
It seems really hard to capture the proportions with a picture, so I shot a quick Vid (Click on 3rd Picture).

FitLs8.jpgFitLs7.jpg

If you paint the shoes red, they're great for a Ronald McDonald custom.

At this point Vader is just under 13.5" tall.

How sure are you of this measurement? After multiple times taking the figure apart and detailed measurements, I can't see any way to get any kind of significant lowering without modifying the body. I know you've replaced the "head" and shoulder armor, but is this all it took to go down from 13 7/8" to 13 1/2" ? 3/8" difference is pretty significant at this scale.

I find that I'm liking the stock body (for now). I think the height/proportion is better than I first thought and that it's the stock Head/dome that throws it off a bit. The SSC mask looks to elongated (to me) making the Vader's noggin to tall, pushing the figure up in height.
I lightly padded the body were I wanted the muscle tone brought out a little. Everything else is just sitting on top of this figure. Nothing has been trimmed, shaped or painted for the final look. This is just another loose fitting, but things are looking good.
The feet through the whole figure off...they're HUGE. Those and the Gloves are far from finalized. More on the recipe, when I'm satisfied that everything fits and looks good. Don't want to steer anyone ins the wrong direction. At this point Vader is just under 13.5" tall.
It seems really hard to capture the proportions with a picture, so I shot a quick Vid (Click on 3rd Picture).

View attachment 97227View attachment 97228

This is Vader , the kaiyodo kit is a lot closer than sideshows
Steph x

I do like the padding. In ESB and ROTJ, he looks more girthy. I'm not sure if it's from Prowse beefing up or from a change in the bodysuit and/or chest box and armor.

Alex

I'm wondering how you got it that short without body mods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really didn't do anything to the body to shorten it. I think that the way the stock head connects to the neck makes it taller. My Helmet is sitting over the neck post. I also noticed that when I put the stock Feet back in and pushed a bit harder that they went in farther. That just may have been me not putting them in far enough the first time, but I'm not sure.
Hieght.jpgHieght2.jpg

I hate to say it, McHaley, but I notice the elongated mask too. The mouth triangle seems to be the issue...
It's so odd. In putting the mask under the microscope (as they say) there are sooooo many things that are off. It just baffles me. The production quality and paint job really make the stock helmet look amazing, which to a more casual Vader fan, makes it a home run.

View attachment 97227View attachment 97228

Now that's Vader! looking great so far. So much more proportional. I really like the padding. The chest armor does look a little small. The ESB armor is not shaped correctly but perhaps some heating can fix that. If I remember correctly, the ANH chest armor is pretty decent. In any case, I look forward to further updates. McHaleyArt and Hurricane are the pioneers when it comes to vader customs and they have by far, created the most interesting custom figures of the character. It is always interesting so wee what they come up with.

The chest armor does look a little small.
Yep. Good eye. That observation was not lost on me as well. Still lots of thinning down to do on it and shape manipulation. We'll see how it goes. Obviously looks just fine with the Helmet, but just a tiny bit small on the body. Adding the shoulder bells might help it when it's closer to done.

It's so odd. In putting the mask under the microscope (as they say) there are sooooo many things that are off. It just baffles me. The production quality and paint job really make the stock helmet look amazing, which to a more casual Vader fan, makes it a home run.

I completely agree. It is odd that with so much reference material available, there are so many inaccuracies with the dome and mask. It doesn't make any sense, especially since Sideshow has done so many Vaders over the years when including the statues. You would think it would be almost perfect by now.

I completely agree. It is odd that with so much reference material available, there are so many inaccuracies with the dome and mask. It doesn't make any sense, especially since Sideshow has done so many Vaders over the years when including the statues. You would think it would be almost perfect by now.
:exactly: A thousand times this!
Is it an artistic choice on SSC's part? Is it a marketing strategy to get us to buy the figure again...and again? Ignorance? Or Sideshow's interpretive Stamp on the Star Wars universe?

The World May Never Know.

I really didn't do anything to the body to shorten it. I think that the way the stock head connects to the neck makes it taller. My Helmet is sitting over the neck post. I also noticed that when I put the stock Feet back in and pushed a bit harder that they went in farther. That just may have been me not putting them in far enough the first time, but I'm not sure.
View attachment 97276View attachment 97277

That does look good! Is that the ANH suit or the new one?

Back