1/6 scale Landspeeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah totally. It's been so great watching things develop in this thread....

I have utmost faith in Pete's painting skills and am sure this is going to look epic. (no pressure Pete :lol). It's also been great that Jas has listened to and made small modifications according to our popular suggestions. A real collaborative effort.

Pete just finished my Bandai PG Falcon and it is nothing short of breathtaking! There's no worries he'll knock the speeder out of the park!

:exactly: and that is a thing of beauty :love in my eyes the Falcon is something you never ever get tired of just looking at.
I also have a kit which will most likely never get built as I'm always too busy to make anything for myself :lol

I also have 100% confidence that the Speeder will have nothing short of a mind-blowing realistic paint job.
Pete's eye for details is nothing short of a super power.

With such fine detail this build has taken considerably longer than anything else I have ever built so I wanted to make sure it is perfect and movie accurate in every way possible.

Jas

Cheers Mods :goodpost:

In a way a little off topic but defo related to this thread as I'm building this primarily to cast the main bodies and thrusters for this speeder. all-you-need-to-know-about-rotocasting

I'm sure someone asked me to share this build on here so here you go:

As many of you can tell I'm no welder but I'm pretty awesome at grinding & filling :lol

View attachment 457932

Jas

Jas, as an engineer I'm thinking those feet are a bit short considering the moment of inertia you'll have spinning around up top. I guess potentially two opposite mould masses could cancel each other out. But chances are their masses will not be exactly equal.

Perhaps you could slide a bit of square section over the feet to extend them a bit ?? Or perhaps the plan is to simply bolt it down to the floor ?

Jas, as an engineer I'm thinking those feet are a bit short considering the moment of inertia you'll have spinning around up top. I guess potentially two opposite mould masses could cancel each other out. But chances are their masses will not be exactly equal.

Perhaps you could slide a bit of square section over the feet to extend them a bit ?? Or perhaps the plan is to simply bolt it down to the floor ?

You're spot on there mate, I made the feet this narrow for storage purposes when not in use.
The idea is to bolt it to a base when in use then unbolt it and store it in the shed.

Just hope the gearing is ok and doesn't go spinning at 100rpm :lol :slap

You're spot on there mate, I made the feet this narrow for storage purposes when not in use.
The idea is to bolt it to a base when in use then unbolt it and store it in the shed.

Just hope the gearing is ok and doesn't go spinning at 100rpm :lol :slap

Haha :lol would like to be there for the first rototcaster helicopter take off !

giphy.gif

Pete just finished my Bandai PG Falcon and it is nothing short of breathtaking! There's no worries he'll knock the speeder out of the park!

It was a pleasure buddy and I'm really pleased that you are happy with the result ( believe me my anxiety over that was real lol ) such an iconic scifi ship and Star Was a big part of my childhood, every Xmas they were the toys I wanted. And thank you for trusting in me and giving me the opportunity to work on such a fantastic kit

Pete

Jason, I said to you the other day that you were Macgyver and the A-team rolled into one and I reckon you can add add Doc Brown to that mix as well and if you dont wear a white lab coat when you build this amazing stuff I'll be sorely disapointed lol

Just epic mate and again your ingenuity just blows my mind

Pete

The pressure to do the speeders justice is there but I'm sure everything will work out well at the end as it always does. When the time comes to paint the first one I will be on here regularly with updates so you guys can see how it's going and also give me feedback as to the look and I'm not precious about my stuff and always open to suggestion, many pairs of eyes are better than one and you guys have much more detailed knowledge about the speeder than I do so please chip in once I get going on it.

I have some test parts and castings on my bench right now that I'm going to be doing test paints on this week and next week, mainly just so I can try and nail down. Colours and also so I can have a play with some scuffing and weathering effects without fear of messing up a complete body shell and once I've gt some primer down and wet sanded I'll start to post some pics so you can see my experiments and let me know what you think

Pete

Really can't wait to see this painted and weathered up. I initially thought I'd want to paint my own, but with how complex and multilayered the paint job is on this, I'll be perfectly happy to pay a bit extra and have it done by a professional who's already done all the research. :D

I don't believe it.......my roto-caster build actually worked perfectly first time and I still have all my limbs :yess:
Also it didn't self-destruct, I've posted a clip on my Twitter feed showing it rotating nicely using my 18v Dewalt and all works great.

My works PC won't allow me to save the Gif so can't post it on here at the min, but will have a go later when home.

Image 09.jpg

Image 10.jpg

Image 11.jpg

Image 12.jpg

Image 13.jpg

Just need to replace all of the temp nuts with Nylocks and give everything the once over and its good to go.
Got out-bid at the last second on the treadmill so will go to plan B.....I don't have a plan B but I'll figure something out.

Jas

I'm finally happy with this little chappy
You'll all know what it is, its the control lever from the dash.

Image 126.jpg

I think I'm just as excited (if not more) as you guys to see this build with some paint on.

I'm still on track to get the first few over to Pete next weekend, however as a contingency I'll give him the original prototype body to maintain momentum whilst I work on casting the others.

Getting close chaps :yess:

Jas

Pete is an incredible artist, this is some of his latest work:

Large Gun Dam (I've left this image large to show the amazing realistic detail
Image 128.jpg

Our 1/6th The Shining Dio:
The Shining Head.jpg

Rick Grimes customs for our 1/6 TWD Dios:
Rick Head 01.jpg

If the paint job is half as good as these we're in for something very special.

Updates will be a bit more regular over the next few weeks.

Jas

Tested some new flexi-resin this weekend in prep for the side grilles and happy with the results.
As the side grilles aren't perfectly straight in the movie prop, I'm recreating the same and because they are a small profile I need to make sure they won't break.

As with all the small details I am making each grille "slat" individually, this is to ensure the final build is of the highest quality finish and end product than if they were all 3d printed in one.

I also needed to re-mould the damage thruster body as there was a slight imperfection when casting, which is done.

The slush resin I'm using is way too fast setting (4 - 5min) so I have ordered some slower setting resin (12 - 14min) which will give more than enough time to get it into the moulds, strapped into the roto-caster and set it off on its merry way for 20mins.

I'm cutting it fine but should still get the very first Speeder over to Pete this Thursday.

Tested some new flexi-resin this weekend in prep for the side grilles and happy with the results.
As the side grilles aren't perfectly straight in the movie prop, I'm recreating the same and because they are a small profile I need to make sure they won't break.

As with all the small details I am making each grille "slat" individually, this is to ensure the final build is of the highest quality finish and end product than if they were all 3d printed in one.

I also needed to re-mould the damage thruster body as there was a slight imperfection when casting, which is done.

The slush resin I'm using is way too fast setting (4 - 5min) so I have ordered some slower setting resin (12 - 14min) which will give more than enough time to get it into the moulds, strapped into the roto-caster and set it off on its merry way for 20mins.

I'm cutting it fine but should still get the very first Speeder over to Pete this Thursday.

Cool. Can we also get a chocolate speeder for Easter next year made in your new chocolate egg maker ?

Back