1/6 scale Landspeeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's my own fault. I didn't specify that the photos were private. In the spirit of wanting the best Flash Gordon items out there, it's probably a good thing that they're being used to improve the accuracy of their model.
No hard feelings towards ScratchBuilder.
Sorry for hijacking the fantastic 1/6 Landspeeder thread!

Last edited:
@CKing thanks for emails buddy no hard feelings at all and apologies for the misunderstanding my end :duff

As we are getting very close to painting now, Pete and I have been talking about preparing for the next steps.

I have given Pete a few parts to test paint but we have agreed that I need to adjust a few areas where painting would be difficult, the first being the seating.
Originally I made them as a single and removable seating unit, so I am in the process of dismantling this section into smaller more manageable parts not only to help with the movie accurate & realistic paint job but to also reduce the weight.

I worked out that if cast in solid resin the entire build would be approx. 7kg which is far too heavy and costly to ship worldwide

Cast seating section (only test quality)
Image 91.jpg

Original seating with new prototype flexible seat pad
Image 116.jpg

Flexible seat pad to make painting more efficient
Image 117.jpg

The new dash with something special is more or less ready to build and we are good to go.
I'm planning on getting the first 5 bodies, interior and thrusters over to Pete by the end of June.

Thanks for your patience and input on this build, you wont be disappointed.

Jas

Been out of the country for a well earned break last week and now back hard at it.

Wasn't 100% happy with the cockpit movie accuracy so made a few improvements, mainly the centre console between the seats:

Image 118.jpg

Have more or less finished the all new dash/display as Pete would prefer separate parts for better detailing and less masking.
Just finalising the casting process as I'm hoping to get the first 5 over to Pete on 28th / 29th June (if all goes to plan and don't spot anything else that needs a tweak) :slap

With such an iconic vehicle it needs to be right for the serious collector.

Almost there

J

:rotfl

Getting really really close now chaps, just going through the last few details to make sure everything is perfect before the final big push.
My plan is to get the first few over to my good buddy and the very talented "Pete the paint" on 28th June.... :whip

A vehicle of such iconic design can't be rushed to make a quick buck :lecture

It needs lots & lots of research and most importantly input from you guys (the experts) to make this an amazing once in a lifetime build.

All 30 are spoken for, with a considerable waiting list as we won't be doing a 2nd run.

Although I have already cast most of the smaller parts, I will be scrapping them and greatly improving the fine details (see image) as I now have a new resin printer that can handle such amazing detail.

Image 119.jpg

These new upgrades will be at my own expense (& won't be passing these extra costs on to you guys, the customer) quality is everything and because I'm a nice guy :1-1: :duff

Jas

No, I printed those "almost" perfect parts on the Mega which is great for hard surface models / parts, with a little post processing to achieve the high enough quality:
View attachment 452938

View attachment 452939

1) Flat parts are fine as long as they are orientated correctly, unlike the Mega the Photon doesn’t like having parts printed flat on the build plate:

View attachment 452936

View attachment 452937

2) Possible if injection or vacuum moulding but not practical for my needs at the moment, plus size is the limiting factor as it only has a small print volume.

Sorry for taking so long to thank you again for your highly informative post.

Hard to believe that you managed to turn that patterned black piece into that smooth golden part... How did you do it? With (airbrushed) primer? Or was there any sanding involved? (difficult, considering the shape of the piece)

I see the problem with 3D-printing molds, but concerning the Photon not being able to print flat surfaces: on the final picture where the piece is shown with all those smaller sustaining rods+cones, those indeed emerge from a flat surface? You mean that printing quality on that flat surface would be bad, because SLA printers can't print flat horizontal surfaces? (I also wonder why flat horizontal surfaces are a problem, should this be correct)

Thanks again for this great thread, the great work, and informative posts.
m.

I hope I was able to get in that list of 30. Did that list ever get confirmed to interested parties?

But I'm still wondering if I need to 1. take out a mortgage, 2. apply for a loan, 3. put it on a credit card or 4. save some entertainment monies. :)

I hope I was able to get in that list of 30. Did that list ever get confirmed to interested parties?

But I'm still wondering if I need to 1. take out a mortgage, 2. apply for a loan, 3. put it on a credit card or 4. save some entertainment monies. :)

Hi Bruno

Just checked and I have you No: 07 on the list and you definitely won't need a mortgage or a loan :rotfl
As soon as I get the first few over to Pete (hopefully on 28th June) we'll confirm the price we have been working to, we just need to make sure we can achieve it, before we start taking deposits.

Jas

Sorry for taking so long to thank you again for your highly informative post.

Hard to believe that you managed to turn that patterned black piece into that smooth golden part... How did you do it? With (airbrushed) primer? Or was there any sanding involved? (difficult, considering the shape of the piece)

I see the problem with 3D-printing molds, but concerning the Photon not being able to print flat surfaces: on the final picture where the piece is shown with all those smaller sustaining rods+cones, those indeed emerge from a flat surface? You mean that printing quality on that flat surface would be bad, because SLA printers can't print flat horizontal surfaces? (I also wonder why flat horizontal surfaces are a problem, should this be correct)

Thanks again for this great thread, the great work, and informative posts.
m.

Hi M

The Photon can print perfectly flat surfaces as long as the model is orientated correctly, the supports do come from a "flat" sacrificial base which is not of good enough quality for production.

I don't want to give all my secrets away when post processing prints from my Mega :censored

Jas

For those who don't follow my regular updates on Twitter or Instagram here is the latest.

New highly detailed dash 3d model is all done and I just need to split it down into printable parts, they are small and sure my Photon will handle it.
If printed all as one it would give Pete a nightmare masking also individually made each part would be far crisper up close.

One of the great things about building in this scale is you can add every little movie detail as there no excuse not to :lecture

Image 120.jpg

Also, the metal box section has been cut and is due for delivery today so I can get to work on building my all new and huge rota-caster machine.
Which will come in very handy with the next builds.........you aren't gonna believe what's currently in development :horror

I won't give anything away at this stage as we are changing how we do things and only revealing fully built designs to stop the obvious :lurking :pfft:

I'm getting excited myself :panic:

Jas

Hi M

The Photon can print perfectly flat surfaces as long as the model is orientated correctly, the supports do come from a "flat" sacrificial base which is not of good enough quality for production.

I don't want to give all my secrets away when post processing prints from my Mega :censored

Jas

:)
Faaaaaair enough!
Thanks for what you do can say!
From what you say, I understand flat surfaces are printed with problems by the Photon. I just can't figure out why considering how SLA works. There must be something about it that I am missing... :-(
m.

I know this is super late in the game to be bringing this up, but just wondering if the final version of the side railings will fit more flush with the nose, rather than being recessed so far back in the body? I know they are a little recessed on the original prop, but this looks too far in the attached photo.

I noticed they used to, until you did a reshape of the rounded edges on the chassis, so I always assumed you just hadn't adjusted the side railings for the newer shape. But as we're getting so close now, I thought I'd ask the question anyway.

Thanks.

I know this is super late in the game to be bringing this up, but just wondering if the final version of the side railings will fit more flush with the nose, rather than being recessed so far back in the body? I know they are a little recessed on the original prop, but this looks too far in the attached photo.

I noticed they used to, until you did a reshape of the rounded edges on the chassis, so I always assumed you just hadn't adjusted the side railings for the newer shape. But as we're getting so close now, I thought I'd ask the question anyway.

Thanks.

Yep, they'll fit the nose cone better. Those white ones are just a quick test for spacing's & material thickness.

Jas

:)
Faaaaaair enough!
Thanks for what you do can say!
From what you say, I understand flat surfaces are printed with problems by the Photon. I just can't figure out why considering how SLA works. There must be something about it that I am missing... :-(
m.

Surely there must be many Youtube videos on Photon 3D printers.

Yep, they'll fit the nose cone better. Those white ones are just a quick test for spacing's & material thickness.

Jas

Great to know.:clap

And let me know when you've had time to do the accurate measuring for the overall vehicle. I'm heading to IKEA in the next week to see if there's something a just a bit bigger in case the landpseeder won't fit in the IKEA STUVA cabinet. It's right on the outside edge - it's possible it might fit based on those older dimensions.

Great to know.:clap

And let me know when you've had time to do the accurate measuring for the overall vehicle. I'm heading to IKEA in the next week to see if there's something a just a bit bigger in case the landpseeder won't fit in the IKEA STUVA cabinet. It's right on the outside edge - it's possible it might fit based on those older dimensions.

Oh yeah, completely slipped my mind sorry about that :slap
Will see what I can do

Jas

Back