1/6 Hot Toys Rogue One: JYN ERSO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d give Leia a 5 and Jyn a 3.
Which version of Leia? ANH Leia looks great, but its not like you set her side to side with an actual picture of Carrie as Leia and its 10 out of 10? Nope.

And the outfit is lacking.

Enviado desde mi SM-J500M mediante Tapatalk

Which version of Leia? ANH Leia looks great, but its not like you set her side to side with an actual picture of Carrie as Leia and its 10 out of 10? Nope.

And the outfit is lacking.

Talking about the head sculpts compared to each other. I don't take outfit into account when talking about the likeness to an actor.

5 out of 5 for ANH Leia is based on what we have seen achieved in released 1/6 scale figures--couple other 5 out 5 figures in Star Wars would be Chirrut and TFA Ford, the rest are all a notch below.

I dunno about the rest of you, but what I look for and expect in a Hot Toys head sculpt is to be able to look at it at a glance and recognize a significant likeness to the actor or actress who plays the character. I don't care that this is the technically best-made 1/6 figure of her out there compared to other companies; this is the level of detail and craftsmanship that Hot Toys sells themselves on. I'm comparing her to other Hot Toys figures, not other Jyn figures made by different companies.

I don't want to have to squint, or stare at it in macro for a long time, or have to turn it to different angles or change the lighting in order to maybe see the likeness. But this is what I'm having to do with Jyn (and a few other female figures by Hot Toys lately). And it's a shame, because they aren't going to be making any more of Jyn than they already have because this is the only movie she appears in.

Her outfit is so good, but they completely failed on the likeness.

Jyn is so tiny. Probably the smallest figure I have after Yoda or R2 :)

Haven't had a chance to get out the accessories. Need a bit of time for that. But when I glance at her I certainly see Jyn especially when the hair is a pulled out a bit from the face.

Personally don't know what all the fuss is about with non-likeness. But each to their own.

Talking about the head sculpts compared to each other. I don't take outfit into account when talking about the likeness to an actor.

5 out of 5 for ANH Leia is based on what we have seen achieved in released 1/6 scale figures--couple other 5 out 5 figures in Star Wars would be Chirrut and TFA Ford, the rest are all a notch below.
TFA Ford is almost scary! Its so lifelike.

Pretty sure that's part of the reason they're more hit-or-miss with female sculpts. All the wrinkles on Ford's face make his an iconic, instantly recognizable visage. But for female characters its a whole other story, since women (and our culture) take every step to conceal and soften those wrinkles and hard lines that so often define a likeness.

So the softer you approach the sculpting, the easier it is to mess up the likeness.

Just an artist's two cents.

(Included, my most recent attempt at Scarlett Johansson)

ffb50e9365561e15f57dfdc3f45672a2.jpg

Pretty sure that's part of the reason they're more hit-or-miss with female sculpts. All the wrinkles on Ford's face make his an iconic, instantly recognizable visage. But for female characters its a whole other story, since women (and our culture) take every step to conceal and soften those wrinkles and hard lines that so often define a likeness.

So the softer you approach the sculpting, the easier it is to mess up the likeness.

Yeah, I agree that definitely must play a part, though I think ANH Leia (young but a hit by most accounts) and ANH Kenobi (old but a miss by many accounts) are examples that the opposite scenario is possible too. I wasn't much impressed with the first Rey sculpt either. I'm less familiar with some of the other licenses but seems like they were did a pretty decent ScarJo with the latest sculpt and the new Wonder Woman (training) sculpt looks solid but I think it's really production sculpts that have to be judged rather than the protos since things can really change.

Lack of pictures in here. Ok only iPhone pics. But just got Jyn so had to do a couple of quick ones.

Need to work on the pose a bit more though.

905bf876a74c06d1bd76e3b46374fe67.jpg

ebe581058dfc157d621feb1e814ed592.jpg

I have a question..is there padding around her legs or is it because the pants are too snug that limit her leg articulation. Because I wonder if there is padding, maybe if it’s removed, the legs should flex better.

I can’t understand why HT made the pants so tight that they limit her leg articulation..did they not see the film..she was always running, squatting, jumping, bending down almost 90% of the action scenes..HT really dropped the ball on this :thud:

I have a question..is there padding around her legs or is it because the pants are too snug that limit her leg articulation. Because I wonder if there is padding, maybe if it’s removed, the legs should flex better.

I can’t understand why HT made the pants so tight that they limit her leg articulation..did they not see the film..she was always running, squatting, jumping, bending down almost 90% of the action scenes..HT really dropped the ball on this :thud:
You're looking at it from the wrong angle.

Padding was added to make her look like the actress. It indeed limits articulation but makes the appearance much more human and much less catwalk model. Jones' got thighs!

Just an artist's two cents.

(Included, my most recent attempt at Scarlett Johansson)

ffb50e9365561e15f57dfdc3f45672a2.jpg

Well done art! Great!

You're looking at it from the wrong angle.

Padding was added to make her look like the actress. It indeed limits articulation but makes the appearance much more human and much less catwalk model. Jones' got thighs!

Yeah she does...but the problem is they didn't give her the puffier cheeks and slightly thicker arms and torso she also needed to have. So now the proportions seem just a bit weird and out of balance to my eye, with everything being super thin except her thighs.

Which is probably another reason the figure seems to look better with the poncho on.

k-2so-1920x1200-captain-cassian-jyn-erso-felicity-jones-rogue-one-a-2755~01~02.jpg

finally got this in-hand - regarding the likeness - it's really hard to tell to just what degree it resembles Felicity since the overall realism is impressive in-hand. my wife (who has no interest in figures) was impressed with the likeness, anyway. a really sharp figure, so it's a shame the articulation ia so limited from the waist down - the rigid boots make it impossible to do anything with her, let alone the pants and padding.

Most HT sculpts are very much idealized,stylized versions of the character and will never be 100%...and maybe i'm in the minority but i see more Ms Jones in the production sculpt than the original proto..View attachment 373258

Most HT sculpts do look better likeness-wise with a harsher top light - it really seemed to draw more likeness out of HT Han and Ben, which were otherwise somewhat weak on likeness. Just like those two headsculpts, this Jyn headsculpt also has incorrectly colored hair. HT seems to really struggle to match hair color (copper-top Luke included.)

It's in flatter lighting that these somewhat weaker likeness sculpts seem to have the least likeness - this fig is no exception. Fortunately, most people display the figs in a Detolf that often has pretty harsh top lighting, so it's not as big of an issue.

Also fortunately, Jyn's hairstyle is much more unique/distinctive than say Rey's hairstyle, making it more unmistakably Jyn.

I received my deluxe Jyn after yesterday's arrival was delayed by sorting error in Baltimore. Anyway, the figure from the neck down is outstanding, including the plethora of accessories...no surprises considering all the reviews and comments out there. The likeness to Felicity (or Jyn, if there's a difference), is a fail in my book...even in-hand. The sculpt is way too generic and lacks the signature facial attributes of Ms. Jones; attributes I expect HT to be able to capture. IMO the sculpt represents a woman at best, kind of like TFA Luke represents a guy with a robot hand...cause there ain't no Hamill in there!

This one doesn't hold a candle to the Chirrut sculpt.

Got her Monday afternoon. She’s not that bad. Could be slightly better though. Her hands were oddly more difficult to swap than the usual Hot Toys fare.

Only two pics, since photobucket is being a finicky idiot.

636A5B74-21E4-4E5D-8FB2-158B0C17940A.jpeg

29BE3FDC-A737-4131-AC7C-5251943C5199.jpeg

Got mine today, and in hand I do see a smidge more Felicity Jones in the sculpt. And I get the sense it could get a bit closer with a few paint touch ups.

The outfit is definitely very cool though, and overall I'm pretty happy with the figure and glad I decided to reorder. :)

Back