1/6 Hot Toys - MMS297 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That?s probably the best it?s ever looked. But it still never registered as a dead ringer for Hamill to me. I don?t think there?s ever been a perfect Luke. The best I?ve seen is the windswept ROTJ sculpt from Inigo.

Agreed. The likeness definitely improves with a better paint job, but like you, just the way the face is sculpted and the way the eyes are, just doesn’t match as a great Hamill likeness for me, that no quality paint job can remedy.

Agreed.

THIS is the Luke I wanted. Hair was inexplicably dark, but that sculpt was awsome.

View attachment 466877

Now this, is ANH Luke Skywalker.

Hermit Luke by HT (at least in the promo pics; I can't say for in-hand) was perfect to me. I'm hoping the next Luke, most likely Bespin, nails it.

Yeah, I think TLJ Luke is the best 1/6 Luke Skywalker figure out there. The sculpt imo is better than even the customs for OT Luke.

2EE97063-122D-4433-B0EF-8AEFB2F35795.jpeg
F07CED2D-C7B4-48F5-A323-21902B4F14B9.jpeg

Yep, that the Hot Toys Proto from SDCC 20who knows.

When they first revealed this figure I was blown away. It was BY FAR my most anticipated pre-order of the year. Then he arrived. Tried my best to like it, but I think the MASSIVE let down from what We were anticipating to what we got made the actual production figure that much harder to like :(.

It would be good if HT shows the production samples also. People preorder the figures based on prototype but may get something different. By this, I don't mean softening difference during mass production, but design change. You know, they say from time to time "We showcased this but changed the sculpt before production due to licensor demands or something else". Then why don't you show licensor approved prototype?

It would be good if HT shows the production samples also. People preorder the figures based on prototype but may get something different. By this, I don't mean softening difference during mass production, but design change. You know, they say from time to time "We showcased this but changed the sculpt before production due to licensor demands or something else". Then why don't you show licensor approved prototype?

It's definitely annoying to see the RotS Obi-Wan box with the prototype photos on lol. I like the production well enough, but just saying.

View attachment 466947
View attachment 466948

Yep, that the Hot Toys Proto from SDCC 20who knows.

When they first revealed this figure I was blown away. It was BY FAR my most anticipated pre-order of the year. Then he arrived. Tried my best to like it, but I think the MASSIVE let down from what We were anticipating to what we got made the actual production figure that much harder to like :(.

What do you think went wrong from proto to prod? Paint not as good? Slight distortion of the sculpt shape? Losing some detail?

It's interesting in looking for pics, I saw that Michael Crawford gave that Luke a four stars for sculpt.

I still think that a large portion of the problem with the head is actually the hair - that's it's a bit too large, a bit too egg/melon shaped and the overtly copper color was a mistake.

Well, for a descent percentage of the sculpts that have some proto to production slide, it?s pretty clear that it?s a paint app issue where the factory painters just can?t match the JC Hong brilliance (at least not in the time they are given to complete a daily tally).

But for some figures, where the slide seems much more structural, we?ve been conditioned to believe that studios reject the prototype and demand a new sculpt be resubmitted for approval (which in just about every case is CLEARLY worse that the original effort). Farmboy Luke definitely falls into the latter category.

And although I write that last paragraph with a measure of skepticism, I honestly can?t think of a more believable scenario.

Why would Hot Toys, or any other high end figure manufacturer, willfully choose to produce a figure with an obviously lesser likeness, and therefore rack up fewer sales? The answer is they wouldn?t. But on the other hand, why would a studio, by willful action, CAUSE a figure manufacturer to produce a lesser figure knowing this would impact sales negatively, causing the studio, in turn, to put themselves in a position where, potentially at least, they could not demand as much for the licensing fees upon renewal because the profit to investment ratio is that much less favorable to the figure producer? The difference might be along the margins, but still.... isn’t it the job of any company to maximize revenue/profit?

Is it really the vanity of actors themselves that is to blame? Do they really have a say regarding the reproduction of their likenesses after they have turned over these rights to the studios that produce their films? Do they REALLY care whether some random Barbie doll (their hypothetical words, not mine) I some random nerd?s basement bares an acceptable likeness of them as long as the depiction is not vulgar?

I don?t know. I just can?t ever seem to solve this puzzle...

But to answer your question, Talibane, I think EVERYTHING is wrong with the production sculpt compared to the proto, and I think the hair is THE LEAST of the issues because the proto has just about the same hair sculpt as the production piece (with all its faults), and yet the proto TOWERS over the production sculpt in just about every other way. So I don?t think this is a paint, or even a mold issue. I think the production figure has a COMPLETELY redone sculpt, and it?s a damn shame...

D59D425A-3FB8-473D-819C-410B14BA029D.jpeg

Last edited:
It's no question one of the worst production version sculpt downgrades I have seen from Hot Toys. If someone called it bait and switch I wouldn't disagree.

I still like the overall figure though.

The part I don't understand is this:
They can show hundreds of prototypes for a figure, no objection.
But if they get to pre-order status, I think they have to show final prototype which licensors approved. Any lower quality paintjob or lost detail in the molding process, I understand that.
But how the hell can they show nonapproved figure for preordering?
The business should go like this.
Show protos at expos.
Show protos at website stating that it's still in wip. Do not begin preorders.
When everything's decided, show the final product and state that actual figure may slightly be different due to production process and begin preordering. Then based on preorder numbers, decide your production number.

Unfortunately for the customer, that?s not how advertising works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, they take their shares. A customer experiencing diffirent figures from proto will begin to wait to see actual product before buying. This will lead to lower preorder numbers, which will lead to lower production numbers. Apart from causing decrease in their profit, they will have to increase the prices which in turn will result in decrease in sales.
So, being honest will bring benefit for both customer and HT itself.

Anyone have any ideas on where I might be able to pick up this Luke for anything close to a reasonable price? EvilBay prices are insane now. I need a second for my Jazz Speeder!

Anyone have any ideas on where I might be able to pick up this Luke for anything close to a reasonable price? EvilBay prices are insane now. I need a second for my Jazz Speeder!

If you're going to display him IN the speeder and not standing next to it, I'd cobble one together from Sideshow parts and a knock-off Hot Toys head. That's just me though.

Agreed^
Its such a snug fit that I've decided to do the same. Just have the portrait, clothes, and a partial belt to attach around the front of the waist.. I ended up taking the feet off mine just for the ease of it.

Can someone do me a huge favor and let me know where the battery tray goes in the deluxe version? Was getting rid of mine and trying to remember where all the parts go, but I don't see anywhere to put it. It's a square tray of 4 batteries, right?

Edit: NM, I think those batteries I have are from a vader

Got a mint special edition for the unbeatable price of 150USD, so I am not complaining, but the head sculpt made me LOL. It looked bad in videos and pictures but how did it go from the prototype to this? It's hilariously derpy. The paint apps are so weak it looks like a Mattel toy from certain angles.

The accessories and stuff are amazing though.

Got a mint special edition for the unbeatable price of 150USD, so I am not complaining, but the head sculpt made me LOL. It looked bad in videos and pictures but how did it go from the prototype to this? It's hilariously derpy. The paint apps are so weak it looks like a Mattel toy from certain angles.

The accessories and stuff are amazing though.

I can't take anyone seriously who says something like that.

Back