1/6 Hot Toys - MMS297 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, for a descent percentage of the sculpts that have some proto to production slide, it?s pretty clear that it?s a paint app issue where the factory painters just can?t match the JC Hong brilliance (at least not in the time they are given to complete a daily tally).

But for some figures, where the slide seems much more structural, we?ve been conditioned to believe that studios reject the prototype and demand a new sculpt be resubmitted for approval (which in just about every case is CLEARLY worse that the original effort). Farmboy Luke definitely falls into the latter category.

And although I write that last paragraph with a measure of skepticism, I honestly can?t think of a more believable scenario.

Why would Hot Toys, or any other high end figure manufacturer, willfully choose to produce a figure with an obviously lesser likeness, and therefore rack up fewer sales? The answer is they wouldn?t. But on the other hand, why would a studio, by willful action, CAUSE a figure manufacturer to produce a lesser figure knowing this would impact sales negatively, causing the studio, in turn, to put themselves in a position where, potentially at least, they could not demand as much for the licensing fees upon renewal because the profit to investment ratio is that much less favorable to the figure producer? The difference might be along the margins, but still.... isn?t it the job of any company to maximize revenue/profit?

Is it really the vanity of actors themselves that is to blame? Do they really have a say regarding the reproduction of their likenesses after they have turned over these rights to the studios that produce their films? Do they REALLY care whether some random Barbie doll (their hypothetical words, not mine) I some random nerd?s basement bares an acceptable likeness of them as long as the depiction is not vulgar?

I don?t know. I just can?t ever seem to solve this puzzle...

But to answer your question, Talibane, I think EVERYTHING is wrong with the production sculpt compared to the proto, and I think the hair is THE LEAST of the issues because the proto has just about the same hair sculpt as the production piece (with all its faults), and yet the proto TOWERS over the production sculpt in just about every other way. So I don?t think this is a paint, or even a mold issue. I think the production figure has a COMPLETELY redone sculpt, and it?s a damn shame...

View attachment 467014

I am a layman but I wonder if cost had something to do with it. Was it too expensive for them to produce the original sculpt? Also, something similar happened with the Obi Wan sculpt - though it was just the paint. J.C. Hong famously said that it was rejected by the licensors, which I take to mean Disney. I wonder if it's a coincidence.

I think there's too much thought put into the "why isn't the production, as good as the proto" conversation.
With any toys (whether cheap or high end collectible), it's all based on molds, which are based off the prototype.
I'm guessing the production molds didn't come out exactly right, but the company can't afford the expense, time, commitments, etc., to redo the mold, and restart production.
So they just go with what they have.

It's got to be my least favourite figure sculpt wise, and sometimes think move it on, but it's the classic Luke look[emoji848].

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This is my grail fig. After all the tweaks I made for it to look the best in my eyes, the only Hot Toys bits I kept were the hair, shirt, belt, droid caller, binocs, and shoes. I think the Sideshow X-Wing Luke head and the Hot Toys hair combo looks closest to Hamill for me, and I've had all of them....Jnix, Enterbay, etc...

I loved it when it came out, but as time goes on it seems like they could've done much better.

The one thing that really bothers me about Luke is the huge neck... the head doesn't even sit properly on it...

That's one of my nit picks with the figure and also I think his shirt is pretty crappy. It drapes like cardboard. Otherwise I'm in the minority where when I look at this it's unmistakably Luke Skywalker. It was my first HT and if I sold everything, I'd leave the ANH stuff last, and this figure probably last.

I know most people won't dig it, and that's fine, but I think it's the best combo for my collection. And to be fair, my picture taking ability is @$$.

20200418_110904.jpg

This is where he lives anyway. Like I mentioned, he's very little Hot Toys, so excuse the hijack

20200418_111318.jpg

Even though I think it’s the worst sculpt in the ANH line and possibly the worst sculpt out of all the HT SW figures, I actually still think the HT sculpt is sadly the best 1/6 ANH Luke sculpt, or the least bad I should say. I haven’t really been all that impressed with too many of the custom ones I’ve seen, as the eyes always look too wide and I just don’t really see a young Hamill likeness in them; not anymore than the stock sculpt at least.

Yeah I think especially with swapped out hair like matrix and davejames have done, the HT isn?t too terrible.
Maybe it?s the fact that it doesn?t have the hairpiece but the Sideshow sculpt actually looks pretty decent in this shot I found on eBay:
0fc2d574b11ded9458b451bbd6c7d8b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though I think it’s the worst sculpt in the ANH line and possibly the worst sculpt out of all the HT SW figures, I actually still think the HT sculpt is sadly the best 1/6 ANH Luke sculpt, or the least bad I should say. I haven’t really been all that impressed with too many of the custom ones I’ve seen, as the eyes always look too wide and I just don’t really see a young Hamill likeness in them; not anymore than the stock sculpt at least.

Yeah getting Mark Hamill's face right seems to have been a semi-major struggle of HT's RIP

Yeah I think especially with swapped out hair like matrix and davejames have done, the HT isn?t too terrible.
Maybe it?s the fact that it doesn?t have the hairpiece but the Sideshow sculpt actually looks pretty decent in this shot I found on eBay:
0fc2d574b11ded9458b451bbd6c7d8b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the HT copper watermelon shaped wig certainly doesn’t help.

There are small yellowish/greenish stained spots on the tunic of a figure I just purchased. Although I do not yet have it, I'm looking ahead for any suggestions for products or techniques that I might be able to purchase/use to remove them?

Anyone know where I might be able to get a new/used tunic is good condition? I already checked ebay.

Thanks.

There are small yellowish/greenish stained spots on the tunic of a figure I just purchased. Although I do not yet have it, I'm looking ahead for any suggestions for products or techniques that I might be able to purchase/use to remove them?

Anyone know where I might be able to get a new/used tunic is good condition? I already checked ebay.

Thanks.

If you aren't able to clean it, I have a HT tunic I can send you, since I made my own to replace it awhile back.

Back