1/6 Hot Toys - MMS264 - X-Men: DOFP: Wolverine Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not really true. The Wolverine had a strong precedent, so there were a fair number of boardies who thought it was going to happen initially. It wasn't until the movie came and went and time passed that the consensus was that it wasn't going to happen. But it's a pretty big stretch to think HT might now go after another DOFP character when we've seen zero other X-figures apart from Wolvie so far. There are a small handful of boardies who are certain Magneto will happen, but not many. There's just no historical evidence to support that it is likely.

Motuxmen's points regarding the X-men licensing makes a lot of sense to those who are open to various possibilities of what's happening behind closed doors. His stating that this license requires getting likeness rights from the actors themselves made me think that HT might have already secured a multi-figure deal with Jackman, or at least have developed a very good relationship with the actor and his agent/s that getting his approval for another figure is already a given factor.

Motuxmen's points regarding the X-men licensing makes a lot of sense to those who are open to various possibilities of what's happening behind closed doors. His stating that this license requires getting likeness rights from the actors themselves made me think that HT might have already secured a multi-figure deal with Jackman, or at least have developed a very good relationship with the actor and his agent/s that getting his approval for another figure is already a given factor.

It seems to be pretty obvious that HT can make any and all Jackman/Wolverine figures. The important question here is whether or not they will start tapping into the demand for more iconic x-men characters other than wolverine. There is a ton of untapped potential for the x-men line in general seeing as fans have been begging for some of these figures for years now.

it's a pretty big stretch to think HT might now go after another DOFP character when we've seen zero other X-figures apart from Wolvie so far.

The problem is if you go by the last three films of which Hot Toys produced Wolverine figures, there aren't really any other characters from those movies I could see Hot Toys being confident in making.

X-Men: The Last Stand. A movie most fans hated. Tons of characters you could make figures out of - but why give a movie fans hate a full line? You make just Wolverine and there's a strong chance he'll sell because Jackman's popularity wasn't damaged by X3.

X-Men Origins. Critically panned and insulting to fans because of its butchering of Deadpool plus neutering of Wolverine. Basically same predicament as X3 but worse - why give it a full line? Jackman alone would sell. Sure, I personally would have bought Schreiber and there's people who I'm sure would have bought Kitsch and Reynolds but from Hot Toys' perspective I think only Wolvie made sense.

The Wolverine. Finally a good Wolverine solo - but what makes it good made it bad for Hot Toys: everyone surrounding Wolverine is a civilian. The only figure that would have made sense to make apart from Wolvie was Silver Sam. But again, I still can't see Hot Toys confident in selling The Wolverine's answer to Iron Monger.

Days of Future Past. Critically acclaimed summer blockbuster filled with over a dozen mutants. Costumes, past and future versions of characters, giant robots...perfect LINE material for Hot Toys.

2023 Wolverine opened the door and there's so much that can follow:

1973 Magneto
2023 Magneto
Past and Present Magneto set
1973 Xavier
2023 Xavier
Past and Present Xavier set
1973 Beast
2023 Beast
Past and Present Beast set or Human Hank McCoy and Beast set
Sentinel Mark II (1973)
Sentinel Mark X (2023)
Mystique
Storm
Colossus
Quicksilver
Iceman (with bonus ice sculpt)
Bishop
Blink
Sunspot (with flame bonus sculpt)
Warpath
Trask

I'd be shocked if it ends with Wolverine.

The first three jackman figures are a bit different situation then the upcoming DOFP. With X3 fox had gotten likeness rights in actor contracts like normal. So Hugh didn't have to be consulted and get a license fee. For the two wolverine solo flicks Hugh waived his merch fee and gave the rights to the film as a move to help the movies promotionally.

But during the DOFP production the already strained relationship between fox and marvel got worse. It's a long story why if u want details let me know. Anyway, because of that fox declined to pay likeness fees to the actors. Marvel opted to stick it to fox by not promoting the film.

So with this film. (dOFP) hot toys had to secure licenses from marvel, fox and each actor individually . Because Hugh does everything he can to promote the films and he's a good businessman that knows the more people link him to the character the better his career does he signs almost any likeness agreement presented for a great fee. Also because he had two solo films and a third on the way and he acted as both exec producer and producer he has more invested in the films.

The problem is if you go by the last three films of which Hot Toys produced Wolverine figures, there aren't really any other characters from those movies I could see Hot Toys being confident in making.

X-Men: The Last Stand. A movie most fans hated. Tons of characters you could make figures out of - but why give a movie fans hate a full line? You make just Wolverine and there's a strong chance he'll sell because Jackman's popularity wasn't damaged by X3.

X-Men Origins. Critically panned and insulting to fans because of its butchering of Deadpool plus neutering of Wolverine. Basically same predicament as X3 but worse - why give it a full line? Jackman alone would sell. Sure, I personally would have bought Schreiber and there's people who I'm sure would have bought Kitsch and Reynolds but from Hot Toys' perspective I think only Wolvie made sense.

The Wolverine. Finally a good Wolverine solo - but what makes it good made it bad for Hot Toys: everyone surrounding Wolverine is a civilian. The only figure that would have made sense to make apart from Wolvie was Silver Sam. But again, I still can't see Hot Toys confident in selling The Wolverine's answer to Iron Monger.

Days of Future Past. Critically acclaimed summer blockbuster filled with over a dozen mutants. Costumes, past and future versions of characters, giant robots...perfect LINE material for Hot Toys. .

Everyone claims to hate Iron Man 3 yet Hot Toys hasn't stopped cranking out figures, busts and even add on accessory sets from that film.

Everyone claims to hate Iron Man 3 yet Hot Toys hasn't stopped cranking out figures, busts and even add on accessory sets from that film.

X3 is much more hated and Iron Man is "in" right now (Iron Man 3's mediocrity didn't prevent it from grossing over a billion).

Also, its pretty evident the folks at Hot Toys are huge Iron Man fans. Rose Hill Tony Stark pretty much confirmed that lol

I'm not sure why you say "everyone" claims to hate iron man 3. It was one of the top three box office draws of all time. Made billions.

And there's a little difference between iron man and the xfilms. Even if the armor came from the iron man 3 film, the armor is not really linked to the films like a lot of movie costumes. He could have worn any suit in any movie or comic and it wouldn't look out if place.

On top of that the ability to reuse the tooling for multiple figures makes a MASSIVE difference. Tooling is the NUMBER ONE production cost for toys/figures. So to be able to reuse it makes iron man indispensable for hot toys. add to that iron man also being the best seller by leaps and bounds and it doesn't compare to the x flicks.

xmen as a figure or toy have never done well. Ever. Despite the few people on here it really just does not sell. Now add to that this current issue with licenses / likeness rights and it's a minor miracle we get anything.

And look at all the comments before the new wolverine was announced begging for anything from the film...and then we get something and it's not the right something. Lol

If this wolverine does not sell, and sell pretty well(ie a lot more then both Ladt stand and "the wolverine") there's no way any more DOFP figures make it.

I'm not sure why you say "everyone" claims to hate iron man 3. It was one of the top three box office draws of all time. Made billions. .

You must be new here. Go to any IM 3 product thread and it's laced for the first 50 pages deep of people whining how bad the movie was. Box office revenue means nothing, people go to see it b/c the first IM was amazing and the second one was decent.

Box office revenue means nothing, people go to see it b/c the first IM was amazing and the second one was decent.

Ehh really? I see it more as "first IM was amazing, the third one was okay, only because the second one sucked so much" more often than not...

A toy iron man suit is simply a toy Iron man suit, the designs were cool, but that movie is absolute ****. People who like it are A) not Iron man comic book fans (though as of late im not anymore either) and B) sheep

:lol

A toy iron man suit is simply a toy Iron man suit, the designs were cool, but that movie is absolute ****. People who like it are A) not Iron man comic book fans (though as of late im not anymore either) and B) sheep
Considering that the prevailing geek consensus is that IM3 sucks, wouldn't that make the horde of bashers the bandwagoning "sheeple?"

Iron Man 1 is almost a perfect superhero film in my opinion it's a far better movie than 2 and 3.

- Stane was a far better villain than Killian, and Whiplash

- Robert Downey is at his best, 2 and 3 he started to become a parody of himself, almost everything that came out his mouth was a snarky joke.

- The script was much better than 2 and 3. Tony's motivation for becoming a hero made a lot of sense, and was well thought out.

- I loved the unorthodox ending with him admitting to the world he's Iron Man.

Last edited:
Iron Man 1 is almost a perfect superhero film in my opinion it's a far better movie than 2 and 3.

- Robert Downey is at his best, 2 and 3 he started to become a parody of himself, almost everything that came out his mouth was a snarky joke.

- The script was much better than 2 and 3. Tony's motivation for becoming a hero made a lot of sense, and was well thought out.

IM 1 was so great, I really thought 2 would focus more on disarming the world etc like 1 set up... instead he did it all in 6 months before the film... weak. I would have loved them to build up Raza in 2 (affronted by "the west" Stark/Stane, he begins gathering the remaining rings of power-which could actually be "factions" of their forces or something) then in 3 he's full blown Mandarin. He was set up so perfectly in 1 (playing with the ring while he watched Stark on the Cameras) such a shame

absolutely agree, I loved Iron Man 1. Just an all round terrific Superhero film.
I also just pre-ordered the new Vinyl Soundtrack
im-vinyl-zavvi-png.109535

Days of Future Past. Critically acclaimed summer blockbuster filled with over a dozen mutants. Costumes, past and future versions of characters, giant robots...perfect LINE material for Hot Toys.

2023 Wolverine opened the door and there's so much that can follow:

1973 Magneto
2023 Magneto
Past and Present Magneto set
1973 Xavier
2023 Xavier
Past and Present Xavier set
1973 Beast
2023 Beast
Past and Present Beast set or Human Hank McCoy and Beast set
Sentinel Mark II (1973)
Sentinel Mark X (2023)
Mystique
Storm
Colossus
Quicksilver
Iceman (with bonus ice sculpt)
Bishop
Blink
Sunspot (with flame bonus sculpt)
Warpath
Trask

I'd be shocked if it ends with Wolverine.

Exactly. This is really the first X-Men movie where you see truly iconic costumes. Take Magneto for instance. His 70's costume was fantastic and arguably the best costume in the entire X-Men movie franchise up to this point. The future costumes were pretty good as well, this is the best Wolverine has looked in a movie other than his civilian clothes in X1.

I like the look of this guy, but the $250 price coupled with the fact I bought The Wolverine version. I just can't justify in my head buying this one. Even though this one would look better in my eventual Avengers setup.

Back