1/6 Hot Toys - MMS264 - X-Men: DOFP: Wolverine Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's hard to say though. Not every X-fan is a Wolverine fan.

HT has made Wolverine x amount of times with little regard for the other characters, so it wouldn't surprise me if every Wolverine release only attracts the... you guessed it... the Wolverine fans (all while pushing other X-fans away).

Fassneto on the other hand has seen a rise in popularity. The main difference here is that Wolverine has already been exhausted in terms of 1/6 exposure, whereas Fassneto has not even seen a single form of a high-end collectible merchandise let alone even a Hasbro or Marvel Select figure (before anyone brings up Minimates, please just stop). Couple that with the fact that this has been Magneto at his most popular in recent years, I can easily see fanboys and fangirls caving in for HT Fassneto. It's just unfair to say that Fassneto can't be a popular choice just because past figures of Magneto that aren't even based on Fassbender's version didn't do too well.

What else would you use to gauge interest? It's not unfair it's economics. Magneto is not more popular now then he was in the 90s.

Sure, wolverine has been done. But wolverine is the most popular character in the xmen...and it's not even close. And his sales are bad. Yes there are differences between wolverine and magneto(fasseneto) and Charles. So I get that. And even if you discount multiple releases for wolverine...any single one has not sold well. The first or last.

Compare that to Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Batman, Joker, predator, Terminator...all have multiple releases and all have outsold wolverine. Historically the xmen licenses has not produced on merchandise.

As for there being no other Fasseneto stuff out there to compare...that is a direct correlation to the complexity and added financial outlay involved in the xfilms licenses. If making a fasseneto had the same costs and risks as other figures, where the money spent upfront by hot toys was around the same and not 2-3X as expensive...then I'd say it would be a no brainier to take a flyer and see if it sales better than focus groups and market research indicate it will. But that extra hassel and cost is what is holding this up. It's why they are starting with a figure that is the HOfer, the GOAT, the closer, the ace, the best there is at what he does...because he's the bench mark to see how much interest there is. Like it or not.

Motuxmen, do you know of any more potential figures in the pipeline? I didn't buy the other Wolvies because either the likeness wasn't there or it wasn't my preferred costume.

Compare that to Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Batman, Joker, predator, Terminator...all have multiple releases and all have outsold wolverine. Historically the xmen licenses has not produced on merchandise.

Not all Thor's or Cap's have done better than Wolverine figs. 1st Thor, Rescue Cap and Star Spangled Cap EX were/are available for retail or less anywhere on the web for a year or longer after release. They are pretty much in the same boat.

I always feel that a figure will be extremely popular if:

1. The likeness is amazing. I've only seen this board shut up very rarely, to the extent that any nitpicker is flamed for finding a fault, it's that good. Steve Rogers sculpt comes to mind, as well as this latest Wolvie sculpt.
2. It's from the best film of the franchise, and association with it helps the hype, pre-order and purchase.
3. It's the version you want the most. If this were 70s Logan with the same sculpting accuracy, it would be sold out by now. HT throwing in a pair of adamantium claws to complete it, though inaccurate to the film, would show they care.

I don't know why, but HT seem to make the wrong version a lot, or they make the right one but missing crucial accessories, like an unmasked sculpt, or an item of clothing. Perhaps this is so they can make the right version down the road, but this mentality causes the first version to undersell, negating the second.

I hope this release means they will make a Logan figure, or at least means Claire will sculpt further Wolvies or previous ones.

Again, I don't see how a SINGLE Fassneto (in his best gear) wouldn't sell any more than the countless Wolverine's, the latter of which I've actually seen some people voice their fatigue over the years.

Fassbender brought something fresh to the character that made people care about Magneto. Heck I have friends who didn't even know much of X-Men (they knew of MCU films but not much else beyond that) and it was literally Fassbender's Magneto that hooked them onto the X-Men franchise. The guy's got charisma and HT is sadly not seeing it (or at least, not making good use of it).

What else would you use to gauge interest? It's not unfair it's economics. Magneto is not more popular now then he was in the 90s.

Sure, wolverine has been done. But wolverine is the most popular character in the xmen...and it's not even close. And his sales are bad. Yes there are differences between wolverine and magneto(fasseneto) and Charles. So I get that. And even if you discount multiple releases for wolverine...any single one has not sold well. The first or last.

As for there being no other Fasseneto stuff out there to compare...that is a direct correlation to the complexity and added financial outlay involved in the xfilms licenses. If making a fasseneto had the same costs and risks as other figures, where the money spent upfront by hot toys was around the same and not 2-3X as expensive...then I'd say it would be a no brainier to take a flyer and see if it sales better than focus groups and market research indicate it will. But that extra hassel and cost is what is holding this up. It's why they are starting with a figure that is the HOfer, the GOAT, the closer, the ace, the best there is at what he does...because he's the bench mark to see how much interest there is. Like it or not.

actually, historically, there simply hasn been much merchandise produced to even gauge if it would do well...

All the toybiz stuff did really well, and Hasbros Xmen legends waves sold through really nice too...

Since I already have the Medicom Magneto, I'm not really bothered by not having them make one, but I would like some of the other characters from the X-Men movies besides only seeing Wolverine.

:hi5: :exactly: Passing off misinformation as fact does nobody any good. Here's good ole Spangled Cap under retail at Sideshow this week for $194. They've used their entire bag of tricks - double award, triple awards, etc - and the EX is still there collecting dust.

Marvel Captain America - Star Spangled Man Version | Sideshow Collectibles[/url

Rescue Cap and Thor 1 got similar treatment. They will sell out eventually, but so will all the Wolverines.

Not all Thor's or Cap's have done better than Wolverine figs. 1st Thor, Rescue Cap and Star Spangled Cap EX were/are available for retail or less anywhere on the web for a year or longer after release. They are pretty much in the same boat.

From what I've seen if the numbers, both production numbers and sales, and the production costs and profit...the figures I mentioned did do better. Just because a figure is available or discounted at retail does not indicate the true health of its sales. A lot of factors go in.
For example-and I'm using simple small numbers to illustrate a point-it cost hot toys 50 dollars per figure for all the rights and production costs for Thor v1 and they made 15000 of them and 10000 sold at 150 a figure that means the profit on Thor is 750k dollars..compared to wolverine where it costs say 150 per figure to make, they sell it for 250, make 15000 units and sell 11000. Profit of around 225-250k dollars.

The reason I used those figures (Thor, cap, iron man) was because they all have much simpler and streamlined license agreements that have 1/3 to 2/3 less parties to be paid. And they all have very high reuse in tooling. That reuse cuts the tooling cost way down per sku. And they are all with marvel studios for licenses. Marvel owns the film rights, the property rights, and secured the likeness rights upfront for the actors. With Xmas fox owns the film rights, marvel owns the property/merch rights and each actor has not signed over their likeness rights in the movie contract. Which also means when each character/figure is produced instead of getting one entity's approval (marvel) they may need at least two in marvel and the actor. And the actor may have his agent or rep handle that. It adds cost, time and if not approved by either the actor or studio may never go to market. So all that RnD is s total waste.

As for my statements being misinfo---how so? Again I ask...where are you getting your info and how do you draw your conclusions? IS it based on direct first hand knowledge? Mine is

The current deals on a website for the price of a figure do not show how the figure performs overall...what it costs to produce versus what it makes in sales and overall profit. And I also mentioned those characters as characters not individual figures because I was comparing the character/ licenses overall not each individual figure.

Last edited:
From what I've seen if the numbers, both production numbers and sales, and the production costs and profit...the figures I mentioned did do better. Just because a figure is available or discounted at retail does not indicate the true health of its sales. A lot of factors go in.
For example-and I'm using simple small numbers to illustrate a point-it cost hot toys 50 dollars per figure for all the rights and production costs for Thor v1 and they made 15000 of them and 10000 sold at 150 a figure that means the profit on Thor is 750k dollars..compared to wolverine where it costs say 150 per figure to make, they sell it for 250, make 15000 units and sell 11000. Profit of around 225-250k dollars.

The reason I used those figures (Thor, cap, iron man) was because they all have much simpler and streamlined license agreements that have 1/3 to 2/3 less parties to be paid. And they all have very high reuse in tooling. That reuse cuts the tooling cost way down per sku. And they are all with marvel studios for licenses. Marvel owns the film rights, the property rights, and secured the likeness rights upfront for the actors. With Xmas fox owns the film rights, marvel owns the property/merch rights and each actor has not signed over their likeness rights in the movie contract. Which also means when each character/figure is produced instead of getting one entity's approval (marvel) they may need at least two in marvel and the actor. And the actor may have his agent or rep handle that. It adds cost, time and if not approved by either the actor or studio may never go to market. So all that RnD is s total waste.

As for my statements being misinfo---how so? Again I ask...where are you getting your info and how do you draw your conclusions? IS it based on direct first hand knowledge? Mine is

The current deals on a website for the price of a figure do not show how the figure performs overall...what it costs to produce versus what it makes in sales and overall profit.

first, I dont believe you know the true numbers that go into this and second those figures are 3+ years apart and I see no account for inflation/rising costs

The current deals on a website for the price of a figure do not show how the figure performs overall...what it costs to produce versus what it makes in sales and overall profit. And I also mentioned those characters as characters not individual figures because I was comparing the character/ licenses overall not each individual figure.

Having been on a multitude on collectible forums over the years and not a single person in the industry has ever made this claim or the ability to even guesstimate what HT's numbers are, I remain skeptical until you prove you have any kind of first hand knowledge.

Also, I didn't state current deals on a website for the price of a figure show how it performs. I stated that the figure , in this case Star Spangled Cap, has been a slow moving product since it's release, with an EX version still available to this day. The absurd amount of times it's been discounted and literally given away for free are strong indicators that the figure has done poorly - at least in comparison to heavy hitters like IM armors or Nolan Batman's which typically sell out in a few months.I'm not sure how you could argue the figure has done well if retailers can't practically give it away.

Details aside, I really don't understand the resistance to Motux's argument. If HT could've made money off Fassneto or Professor X, they'd have done it. So the fact they weren't made indicates it's not worth their time or too difficult, etc. Seriously, why bother going through all the hassle with Fox and the individual actors when they can just make Age of Ultron stuff? Know what'd I'd do if I had a business selling 1:6 figures: ditch X-Men and focus on other properties.

Details aside, I really don't understand the resistance to Motux's argument. If HT could've made money off Fassneto or Professor X, they'd have done it. So the fact they weren't made indicates it's not worth their time or too difficult, etc. Seriously, why bother going through all the hassle with Fox and the individual actors when they can just make Age of Ultron stuff? Know what'd I'd do if I had a business selling 1:6 figures: ditch X-Men and focus on other properties.

How would they know that though?

Theres only been 3 high end figures from the FoX-Men franchise and all of them have been Wolverine, merchandising for the latest films have been pretty much nonexistent. I doubt acquiring Fassbender’s or Mcavoy’s facial likeness would cost a lot more than Hugh Jackman’s, and last I checked Fassneto has been on a majority of the member’s here most want list, same for Facebook.

I’m all for Motuxmen’s argument regarding the pricing of these figures and the tedious nature of acquiring their likeness rights, but everything after that is just speculation, I don’t agree with his argument that if Wolverine doesn’t sell, then Fassneto wouldn’t either.

I agree that HT has made bad choices as far as choices of X-Men figures in the past, but if we assume that Wolverine merchandise generally sells better than non-Wolverine merchandise (a fair assumption), then there isn't a ton of data to support the claim that Magneto and Xavier would do better. There's a bunch of vocal support for those figures (including from me), but we're just a minority given the scale of units Motux described (which sounds high, but close enough in magnitude to what I'd expect). A few hundred of us here pale in comparison to the thousands of units that are being sold, and I'm not inclined to believe that we're truly representative of the entire population that buys these figures.

Still, I hope I'm wrong and they do decide to make more figures from DoFP, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went full steam ahead on the Marvel Studios gravy train.

How would they know that though?
I'm guessing HT has run into a lot of roadblocks with this license. If they could just make it and sell Prof X and Magneto, I have no doubt they would. The fact we haven't seen them means there are issues we're not privy to. I don't really care if Motux's argument is 100% THE TRUTH. It's a sensible explanation. We'll never know to our own exact satisfaction why this or that didn't happen. Motux's approximation is good enough for me.

Theres only been 3 high end figures from the FoX-Men franchise and all of them have been Wolverine, merchandising for the latest films have been pretty much nonexistent. I doubt acquiring Fassbender’s or Mcavoy’s facial likeness would cost a lot more than Hugh Jackman’s, and last I checked Fassneto has been on a majority of the member’s here most want list, same for Facebook.
OK, so you have your doubts about the likeness rights. Have anything other than that to go on? Because the figures aren't here and it's not because Hot Toys doesn't like making them.

I’m all for Motuxmen’s argument regarding the pricing of these figures and the tedious nature of acquiring their likeness rights, but everything after that is just speculation, I don’t agree with his argument that if Wolverine doesn’t sell, then Fassneto wouldn’t either.
Yeah, sure. Maybe Fassneto would be a decent seller. But HT has Disney and Marvel. There is so much coming, just from Marvel alone, forgetting what they will make off Star Wars. Why would they care about X-Men? So much hassle for less gain than they will get off all the other properties. I hope I'm wrong and other X figures come out but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited:
Having been on a multitude on collectible forums over the years and not a single person in the industry has ever made this claim or the ability to even guesstimate what HT's numbers are, I remain skeptical until you prove you have any kind of first hand knowledge.

Also, I didn't state current deals on a website for the price of a figure show how it performs. I stated that the figure , in this case Star Spangled Cap, has been a slow moving product since it's release, with an EX version still available to this day. The absurd amount of times it's been discounted and literally given away for free are strong indicators that the figure has done poorly - at least in comparison to heavy hitters like IM armors or Nolan Batman's which typically sell out in a few months.I'm not sure how you could argue the figure has done well if retailers can't practically give it away.

Again-I was comparing characters as a whole not individual figures. Ie every single Captain America figure versus every single xmen figure (all three wolverines as it stands). Origins,x3, the wolverine vs star spangled/rescue/Avenger/strike/two pack/golden age

To dispute my argument you quoted the 194 price and discounts of star spangled cap and said it sold poor. Basing that info, and your assumptions, as you put it, on the years you've looked at forums and bought toys.

If you believe me or not doesn't matter. I don't much care. Nor is my statements really directed at or toward you. They are counterpoints for people who read the forums and tend to believe the folks that shout the loudest or post the most because they have no other side to see or hear. Believe me or not really doesn't matter. Look at the arguments, coupled with the facts and statements by the company's involved and draw your own conclusions. But if you restate those conclusions in some place where others go to seek info make sure you let them know how you came to those points.

As for the numbers I stated-they are not the actual 100% true numbers, and your right I don't know them completely by heart. They where a representation of how it works. To make my point. Based on spent years of having both my father, my brother, and myself working in the industry. As well as other friends and family all in either the film or prop or merch or toy or music industries.

Again-I was comparing characters as a whole not individual figures. Ie every single Captain America figure versus every single xmen figure (all three wolverines as it stands). Origins,x3, the wolverine vs star spangled/rescue/Avenger/strike/two pack/golden age

To dispute my argument you quoted the 194 price and discounts of star spangled cap and said it sold poor. Basing that info, and your assumptions, as you put it, on the years you've looked at forums and bought toys.

If you believe me or not doesn't matter. I don't much care. Nor is my statements really directed at or toward you. They are counterpoints for people who read the forums and tend to believe the folks that shout the loudest or post the most because they have no other side to see or hear. Believe me or not really doesn't matter. Look at the arguments, coupled with the facts and statements by the company's involved and draw your own conclusions. But if you restate those conclusions in some place where others go to seek info make sure you let them know how you came to those points.

As for the numbers I stated-they are not the actual 100% true numbers, and your right I don't know them completely by heart. They where a representation of how it works. To make my point. Based on spent years of having both my father, my brother, and myself working in the industry. As well as other friends and family all in either the film or prop or merch or toy or music industries.

I disputed your argument long before I posted Sideshow's latest sales link on SS Cap, so either you missed it completely or want to ignore it. I have no idea why you're going on about 'shouting the loudest' or 'post the most' tangents, as this has been a rather boring discussion and member post count never means anything to anyone, both are irrelevant.

I'll go ahead with not believing you, and you can go ahead do your thing. Cheers. :duff:

Fassneto would've sold better as far as I'm concerned that's a fact.

People want it. It's all about supply and demand. The demand is there but not the supply. In regards to why bother with X-Men when they have Star Wars and avengers well why bother with anything else then? They shouldn't have bothered with iron Man when they were doing so well with all the aliens and predators

People want variety not the same old and X-Men is a popular franchise that remains untapped, if tapped they'd sell. Wolverine got over 4000 likes on their Facebook page that's more than any other in a long time

actually, historically, there simply hasn been much merchandise produced to even gauge if it would do well...

All the toybiz stuff did really well, and Hasbros Xmen legends waves sold through really nice too...

Don't forget the various X-Men statues from Sideshow Collectibles, koto ect

X-Men is among the top of their best selling

Last edited:
Fassneto would've sold better as far as I'm concerned that's a fact.

People want it. It's all about supply and demand. The demand is there but not the supply. In regards to why bother with X-Men when they have Star Wars and avengers well why bother with anything else then?

People want variety not the same old and X-Men is a popular franchise that remains untapped, if tapped they'd sell. Wolverine got over 4000 likes on their Facebook page that's more than any other in a long time

Don't forget the various X-Men statues from Sideshow Collectibles, koto ect

X-Men is among the top of their best selling

What are you basing that opinion on? The xmen statues being the great seller part?

And there are huge differences even if the statues where/are great movers (which is hit and miss at best) the statues are comic based mostly. 99%. And there are no movie based. So there are no licensing issues. They are all thru marvel, with no actors or movie studio involved. And that is where this whole issue diverges from every other property and past situation. I don't understand why that's not getting understood.

With statues they produce usually 1000-2000. Sometimes less. Mostly less. It's incredibly rare to get 2500 or more. There is no tooling involved. You get a mold and paint. The licensing issue is not there. They aquire the license from marvel with min hassel and complexity. When it's done (the prototype) they go thru one company for approval. Marvel comics.

With a hot toys figure they have to get likeness rights from the actor. In comparison-that does not happen with those statues u mentioned..nor does it happen with Thor hot toys or iron man or Cap or spidey or predator or Star Wars or transformers or GI joe. After that they have to also get the studio approval. And usually with a studio the parent company does not also operate a studio in direct competiotion (like with GI joe hasbro does not have it's own studio...or with Thor the studio is the parent company). So that's a unique situation. Then they also have to get the lic from marvel(usually done in the reverse order...marvel first, fox next, then actors). With statues two of those steps are not required. Less man hours. Less licensing costs. Less production costs.

And also, your right about supply and demand. That's what drives the market. But it doesn't mean just because a few hundred people on a couple forums say they would love the figure doesn't mean that's reflective of the whole, nor does it mean once that figure is made all those people will buy. It also does not mean you can get the rights and approvals to make it.

Hot toys is a business. By most of the arguments I'm going against if they where true it would mean both I am wrong/lieing as is hot toys and they made a first class Charles just to piss everyone off and wasted tons of money in making it even though they intentionally didn't plan to make anything other then wolverine. Is that really what you think?

As for the freak that is disputing what I said about what you said about star spangled cap...so basically what you said about cap....yes I saw everything else you said. But I was addressing that specifically. And your response is basically well I said other stuff too. Lol

If you don't believe me great. Feel free to disprove anything I have said. Use those internet connections to get some inside info. And prove me wrong. Won't happen, but I'd love to see you get the same info from someone else. You can get them. Even the production numbers. Tax returns are a place. Investor packets. Message me and I'll even give you document titles and where to get the request forms. Theres a bunch of other ways to get the info.

As for why no one else states what I have. Why do you think that is? Do you think no one in the whole world knows it? Like everything just kinda magically happens and no one knows? Or is it that they say what they know and end up arguing what they know to be true with guys who's whole argument is not based on work product or direct knowledge but reading other peoples opinions based on buying and collecting and pressers and opinion. And when they explain how things actually work that doesn't match how some guy decieded it works without any actual in site into production and licensing and how complicated it is but based completly on his own collecting. And the guy who works in the industry opts not to risk his future work or his family business by breaking a non compete or non disclose he's called a liar, or handing out misinfo....even though the one making those claims has ZERO true insite and no industry experience. Somehow when someone states something, even if it's an opinion, that is not in line with his, it's misinfo. Even though his info is based on opinion. Can't imagine why no industry folks would hop right up and volunteer for that.

As for my remarks about why I'm talking at all(the loudest most posts comment)...that was a generalization based on my views as a whole. I also posted about how the relationship between hot toys and sideshow worked a few months back...to mostly the same people...and I got lots of your new here and wait till you have been around, and you are obviously new and don't understand and what not comments. And people sided with mostly the folks that had been around the longest with the most posts. Even though they had zero actual experience behind the scenes with sideshow or hot toys.

And to be clear-I've never said I think fasseneto would not sell. Nor have I said I wouldn't buy it. Or support it. My personnel opinions and collecting are not what have argued. I've put forward the business side based on what I know. How I know it is secondary. It's not what I want, or don't want, or think will or won't happen. It's HOW things happen. If you really want to know how it works or talk about why sideshow or hot toys or hasbro or Mattel or funko do business then you have to not look at it from a fans point of view, and not from a collectors. But as a business. Because no matter what, if these people can't buy the licenses and pay the bills and employees and sculpters and tool and die and machinist and so on they can not make products.

And when you make grand sweeping declarations about why a company does this or that....make sure if it's an opinion you say that. And if it's based on nothing more then standard forum reading and your own shopping habits you think twice about calling someone else a liar when you have Richard other then your own opinion. Your opinion doesn't make someone else's opinion wrong, or misinfo.

Back