1/6 Hot Toys MMS221 - Alien vs. Predator: Celtic Predator Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - AVP Alien vs. Predator: 1/6th scale Celtic Predator Collectible Fi

Wait a minute! It's pronounced Celtic. With a K sound. Celtic like in the people. Not sell tick as in trading money for a parasite. Or have I been pronouncing it wrong all this time?

You're right on that. Bugs the hell out of me when know-it-alls on YouTube are like "UR PRONOUNCING IT RONG, ITZ SELTIC." Yeah, sure. Just because most people aren't cultured enough to properly pronounce the name of Boston's NBA team doesn't mean every use of that word has to be bastardized.

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - AVP Alien vs. Predator: 1/6th scale Celtic Predator Collectible Fi

Being an Irish American from Boston 'Keltic' is used when talking about the cultural group. The Boston Celtics, and Americans in general are not the reason for Seltic.

"Point out that Celtic is an English word, not a Gaelic word and it didn't come from Gaelic, find any other English words starting with a CE pronounced KE. Then the word entered English from Latin, Latin pronunciation had changed to a C sound (do people correct others for saying Ceasar instead of Keasar, census for kensus?"

Being an Irish American from Boston 'Keltic' is used when talking about the cultural group. The Boston Celtics, and Americans in general are not the reason for Seltic.

"Point out that Celtic is an English word, not a Gaelic word and it didn't come from Gaelic, find any other English words starting with a CE pronounced KE. Then the word entered English from Latin, Latin pronunciation had changed to a C sound (do people correct others for saying Ceasar instead of Keasar, census for kensus?"
Didnt Celtic originate as a greek word Keltoi and thats where the "kel" sound comes from?

I feel like most people aren't aware of its history though. Likely: they hear it pronounced with an S sound and assume every use of that word, including the cultural group, warrants the same pronounciation -- even though the cultural group is the main use.

Both actually. The first use of the word 'Celt' is of Greek origin. 'Celtus' was Latin.

I feel like most people aren't aware of its history though. Likely: they hear it pronounced with an S sound and assume every use of that word, including the cultural group, warrants the same pronounciation -- even though the cultural group is the main use.

True, and those people annoy me. But, Seltic, is the correct way to pronounce it in English. So...they're not really wrong...in a manner of speaking.

Boston Celtics Predator. I don't know, I always pronounced Celtic Predator with the "K" sound.

See that's what I've been thinking. Thanks for the validation. Glad we could reach consensus here.:yess:

Without doing any research, I've been assuming that they named him Celtic because of a Celtic inspired face mask and not if reference to an NBA franchise.

You're right on that. Bugs the hell out of me when know-it-alls on YouTube are like "UR PRONOUNCING IT RONG, ITZ SELTIC." Yeah, sure. Just because most people aren't cultured enough to properly pronounce the name of Boston's NBA team doesn't mean every use of that word has to be bastardized.

:goodpost:

Can someone tell me who the predator was on the very beginning of alien vs predator requiem . The predator on the ship who was shooting at the predalien. Remember he made the ship crash . I remember him having this CELTIC mask too .

Some lame kitbash Predator that ADI threw together in about 4 minutes.

By the way, it is KELTIC. It's on the AvP ADI commentary, right when good ol CPizzle is looking down the hole of stupid.

I just chalk it up to being one of the millions of exceptions in the English language. Same as silent G's, P's, etc. Whatever rule of the language it should technically follow, it doesn't and is still legitimate.

He was the coolest Predator design in the movie. It's a shame that he got taken out in a couple minutes.

He was the coolest Predator design in the movie. It's a shame that he got taken out in a couple minutes.

Agreed. This has been brought up time and again, but it was that damn Grid Alien; there was something special about it. Any other Xeno would've been taken out after being smashed through the first pillar. Grid withstood a couple of those, plus getting thrown across the room, falling through the floor, and getting a net shot at him. That battle was more a reflection on Celtic's opponent than on Celtic himself.

Definitely preordering this.

I wasn't even considering buying these AVP preds but after seeing these pics, my god they look badass

True, but with Celtic it was quality, not quantity, of screen time. He ruled but that crafty Griddy survived due to his acidic blood. It'll get ya everytime!

True, but with Celtic it was quality, not quantity, of screen time. He ruled but that crafty Griddy survived due to his acidic blood. It'll get ya everytime!

Grid alien was a beast!

o8scue.jpg

Back