1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Rogue One - Stormtrooper Jedha Patrol

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure these have been posted already, but here they are again. This better illustrates what I had issues with when the first trailer hit, the new armor. Like someone else said in the thread, this will be the one big thing that prevents this film from seamlessly merging into the OT. I understand making tweaks and updates because of new techniques etc, but the Stormtrooper immediately stood out to me as wonky looking. Vader may or may not have the same issues.

I don't understand making everything about the new helmet soft and rounder looking, soft, round eyes, chubby round chin and cheek pipes etc, and then make the new body armor box and clunky looking. It's so weird to me. The troopers just look generally dumpy and a big part of it is the design placement of the waist/belt. The belt on the OT trooper is high, where a waist really would be, but the new troops and the belt lowered to the hips, which lowers everything else in the design, making the leg armor shorter and dumpy looking. Again, the helmet is all curves and chubby looking even, but the body is all squared and boxy, the leg armor looks squared off and all the form fitting curves of the OT armor is gone.

I know this sounds like a crazy nerd rant lol, I'm not super upset or anything and I know most casual viewers wont give a ****, but I found this stuff to be instantly noticeable.

14517473_1424775067550986_4471788480727940056_n.jpg

New "soft"-trooper looks like his wife.... even with the smaller boobies.

Hmm... breastpiece and codpiece reduction surgery all right.

The more I look at these "Improvements" the stranger they seem overall - definitely not as subtle as I first thought.

As I pointed out earlier...

The only people who would have noticed the armor imperfections are the diehard fans. And yet they're the only ones who are now going to notice the retconned details. No casual fan will notice it - so it's self defeating in a way.

The way I see it is that each PT film was the evolution of the stormtrooper this film will be no different IMO. I think this trooper is a step up from the ROTS trooper design but not as advanced as the ANH trooper.

I look at the RO trooper as a basic trooper, probably not as accurate in shooting as a trooper in ANH and not as intelligent either which probably explains how the blind guy can knockout a group of troopers with just a staff :dunno

I think the armor was made to look simplistic and dumpy, because this the transition from clone to elite stormtrooper. Obiwan said in ANH that Sandpeople couldn't attack the jawas and dismantle their equipment, he mentioned only Imperial stormtroopers have accuracy in shooting. :lecture

But what you're describing would be maybe 1-5 years before ANH - my understanding is that this film is set like in the same month as ANH (I heard its ending moment is the same instant as ANH starts,) and yet in RO we never see "regular" OT stormies of any kind at all - we see only retconned stormies and sandies.

I don't think these are intended as some "just before" evolutionary precursor to OT stormies, they ARE the OT stormies but with things subtly (depending on your POV) redesigned elements to make them appear more practical in-universe (or be more easily used for production) than the rough casting technologies of the 1970's.

If we saw both OT stormies and these retconned ones, and this was set a year or more before ANH, I could believe the evolution thing - but neither of those things happen.

Glad I picked up a decent number of the ANH stormies when they were available. Snowtroopers, alternate sandtroopers, and death star crew as soon as possible please.

The more I look at the soft-trooper.... the more it sucks.

I'm quickly souring on Rogue One. It's not faithful to the OT. The hype is BS. Vader is as "off" as the Sotrmtroopers are. Why'd they bother trying to tie this movie into ANH if the only tie-in is the Death Star plans? Death Star will likely look wrong too.

I'm sure these have been posted already, but here they are again. This better illustrates what I had issues with when the first trailer hit, the new armor. Like someone else said in the thread, this will be the one big thing that prevents this film from seamlessly merging into the OT. I understand making tweaks and updates because of new techniques etc, but the Stormtrooper immediately stood out to me as wonky looking. Vader may or may not have the same issues.

I don't understand making everything about the new helmet soft and rounder looking, soft, round eyes, chubby round chin and cheek pipes etc, and then make the new body armor box and clunky looking. It's so weird to me. The troopers just look generally dumpy and a big part of it is the design placement of the waist/belt. The belt on the OT trooper is high, where a waist really would be, but the new troops and the belt lowered to the hips, which lowers everything else in the design, making the leg armor shorter and dumpy looking. Again, the helmet is all curves and chubby looking even, but the body is all squared and boxy, the leg armor looks squared off and all the form fitting curves of the OT armor is gone.

I know this sounds like a crazy nerd rant lol, I'm not super upset or anything and I know most casual viewers wont give a ****, but I found this stuff to be instantly noticeable.

14517473_1424775067550986_4471788480727940056_n.jpg

14479722_1424775150884311_2258034280490419490_n.jpg

14484623_1424775267550966_6176830418518040502_n.jpg

That's a great observation and thanks for the side by side comparison. Yeah, I don't like these at all. They gave the armor a double mastectomy. Basically everything you said is exactly what's wrong with this Stormtrooper design.

Belt placement on the R.O. stormtrooper isn't great, and the abdominal armour is wider (for realism), but that figure in the photo hasn't been futzed properly. The thigh armour can stand to be pulled up considerably.

I don't love the lines on the calf armour (greaves) but it's designed for more realistic mobility now; the boots aren't looking great silhouette-wise in those shots.

I think the old-school chest armour is better based on the photos; but as much as I think the HT stormtrooper is a great figure, the proportions on the updated helmet look better to me in these shots, in spite of being modified and rounded on the outer angles of the lenses.

In-hand will be the true test in terms of futzing etc., but to be honest I'm still seeing a promising design and figure.

Belt placement on the R.O. stormtrooper isn't great, and the abdominal armour is wider (for realism), but that figure in the photo hasn't been futzed properly. The thigh armour can stand to be pulled up considerably.

I don't love the lines on the calf armour (greaves) but it's designed for more realistic mobility now; the boots aren't looking great silhouette-wise in those shots.

I think the old-school chest armour is better based on the photos; but as much as I think the HT stormtrooper is a great figure, the proportions on the updated helmet look better to me in these shots, in spite of being modified and rounded on the outer angles of the lenses.

In-hand will be the true test in terms of futzing etc., but to be honest I'm still seeing a promising design and figure.

That's more a function of HT's middling success in nailing the OT stormie helmet (whole other conversation) sculpt than any RO design improvement. Let's just say there's a reason why all those people in the customs section are busily using that 3D printed 1/6 scan of the ANH stunt to replace their HT stormie bucket.:lol

While there are other little things (like upper leg armor you mention) the most "standout" issues to me with the RO is that the chest looks far too shrunken width-wise as to be almost comical, the codpiece too narrowed and the eyes lenses look less angular/threatening and more like sunglasses now, specifically, this style:

4303b0d2ddeba2d74bfc23c66a68821d.jpg

The point is, the classic stormie chestpiece is meant to look like "armor" in the ancient/traditional sense, which was designed to replicate or enhance the muscular human chest/pectoral muscles, thereby unnerving your opponent - the RO looks very shrunken down enough that it's prompting someone's earlier comment that the RO trooper looks like the "wife" next to the OT version. Anyone looking at that puny RO chest is not going to be unnerved.:lol

That's more a function of HT's middling success in nailing the OT stormie helmet (whole other conversation) sculpt than any RO design improvement. Let's just say there's a reason why all those people in the customs section are busily using that 3D printed 1/6 scan of the ANH stunt to replace their HT stormie bucket.:lol

While there are other little things (like upper leg armor you mention) the most "standout" issues to me with the RO is that the chest looks far too shrunken width-wise as to be almost comical, the codpiece too narrowed and the eyes lenses look less angular/threatening and more like sunglasses now, specifically, this style:

4303b0d2ddeba2d74bfc23c66a68821d.jpg

The point is, the classic stormie chestpiece is meant to look like "armor" in the ancient/traditional sense, which was designed to replicate or enhance the muscular human chest/pectoral muscles, thereby unnerving your opponent - the RO looks very shrunken down enough that it's prompting someone's earlier comment that the RO trooper looks like the "wife" next to the OT version. Anyone looking at that puny RO chest is not going to be unnerved.:lol

Yeah, I agree on the new lenses being less menacing due to a loss of angularity. The codpiece is almost certainly narrowed for real-world mobilty; likewise the shrunken chest armour, or maybe it was to pull it into proportion with the codpiece. With all that said, it's not a bad update; just maybe could have been better had it been subject to a lighter touch.

One more example of how Disney is 'feminizing' this generation.

Actually, they recently confirmed that all the Imperial troops in RO are indeed female.

The ones who have speaking roles were played in cameo appearances by Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones. :monkey3

Actually, they recently confirmed that all the Imperial troops in RO are indeed female.

The ones who have speaking roles were played in cameo appearances by Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones. :monkey3

So we'll be seeing some more armour variations then.

r1bFeXT.jpg

:monkey3

The small chest armor on the RO troopers make them look like teenage girls. You can see even in the HT sculpt of the OT Stormie that Brian Muir's sculpting skills are unparalleled. He indeed in the 70's was able to make a suit of armor that is flowing naturally, and looks fantastic even by today's standards. RO armor is just a pale copy, sorry :(

***k this Rubies armor! LOL

The small cheat armor on the RO troopers make them look like teenage girls. You can see even in the HT sculpt of the OT Stormie that Brian Muir's sculpting skills are unparalleled. He indeed in the 70's was able to make a suit of armor that is flowing naturally, and looks fantastic even by today's standards. RO armor is just a pale copy, sorry :(

:lecture

I'm pleased they look so bad.

It's just another reaffirmation that the 'genuine' Star Wars story on film ended in 1983. Everything else you can take or leave, including the HT figures.

Post OT just doesn't have a special feeling about it. As I've said a few times, it's Malibu Stacy syndrome generating $$$ for the Mouse.

If you can cut the collecting down to the OT you're drawing a demarcation line, setting your own canon. And saving money for other things. :lol

I'm wondering what the RO trooper would look like next to the Medicom Trooper?
562e3052e98a21246abf4930f5482984.jpg

Well it's settled. New trooper based off ****** Medicom design! WTF!!!!

:lecture

I'm pleased they look so bad.

It's just another reaffirmation that the 'genuine' Star Wars story on film ended in 1983. Everything else you can take or leave, including the HT figures.

Post OT just doesn't have a special feeling about it. As I've said a few times, it's Malibu Stacy syndrome generating $$$ for the Mouse.

If you can cut the collecting down to the OT you're drawing a demarcation line, setting your own canon. And saving money for other things. :lol

Agreed 100%

I'm wondering what the RO trooper would look like next to the Medicom Trooper?
562e3052e98a21246abf4930f5482984.jpg

Well it's settled. New trooper based off ****** Medicom design! WTF!!!!

In a way the chest and abdomen armor on Medicom fits better than the HT, because on the R1 Stormie the ab plate is so large compared to the chest one.

In a way the chest and abdomen armor on Medicom fits better than the HT, because on the R1 Stormie the ab plate is so large compared to the chest one.

Looks like a baby gap t shirt on the medi, its weird how something like that doesn't jump out until you see a comparison pic .

Back