1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Rogue One - Stormtrooper Jedha Patrol

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a baby gap t shirt on the medi, its weird how something like that doesn't jump out until you see a comparison pic .

The picture of the Medi above is unusual with the chest armor so high. Someone there posed him like crap. But the chest/abdomen armor proportions on Medicom Stormtrooper are better than on Jedha trooper. And both compared to the classic OT Stormtrooper look quite bad.

I don't think the new Stormtroopers will blend in well with the ANH ones. Based on that I won't be buying any--but I probably wouldn't have anyway.

But it's possible they'll look fine next to the other RO troopers, so these might still be good for anyone who didn't get the ANH version. There's also the ROTJ one on the horizon, which look better to me than the on-screen ROTJ Stormtroopers.

Just curious, the binocular is for one eye viewing or both eye? The distance between the two scopes looks short, very short for a stormtrooper...

I don't think the new Stormtroopers will blend in well with the ANH ones. Based on that I won't be buying any--but I probably wouldn't have anyway.

But it's possible they'll look fine next to the other RO troopers, so these might still be good for anyone who didn't get the ANH version. There's also the ROTJ one on the horizon, which look better to me than the on-screen ROTJ Stormtroopers.

Hey Ton Ton,
I'm thinking of putting my OT Sandtrooper and the Rogue One Troopers together on one stand like this. That should work I think.

donnie-yen.jpg

Have you got any info/pics of the ROTJ Stormtrooper ? Or is that just speculation ?

Hey Ton Ton,
I'm thinking of putting my OT Sandtrooper and the Rogue One Troopers together on one stand like this. That should work I think.

View attachment 295592

Have you got any info/pics of the ROTJ Stormtrooper ? Or is that just speculation ?

Yeah I would think the sandy would look nice with those ones. I just think the proportions are a little off on the new stormtrooper to put side by side with an older one based on the photos posted above.

Funnily enough the ROTJ stormtrooper (there have been lots of pics in the Stormtrooper thread--it has a Death Star background) has the narrower chest armor like the Rogue One version, though not to the same degree as far as I could tell.

What's a little sad about the armor choices in RO, is that this film is likely the only opportunity where we could have seen OT troops on the big screen exactly as they appeared in the late 70's and 80's.

RO's (likely) the only new SW film that takes place at precisely the same moment as ANH, and just very close to the time period of the entire OT - so it would have been cool to have seen those costumes recreated precisely as they were, instead of the need to retcon them.

The prequels had "pre-stormtroopers" and TFA (and ep8) have "post-stormtroopers" - it would have been really nice to have seen just "stormtroopers" in the classic sense but instead it's "retconned/'more functional' stormtroopers."

I'm just not convinced there was any real need to do it other than a new director's need to put his own stamp/take on Star Wars. He wanted to do a gritty, realistic "war" film and he didn't like that the helmets/armor didn't make perfect functional sense when viewed up-close. But does anything in SW make that kind of sense up close? It's a fantasy film series.

For me it really just falls into line with this constant problem that started with the Special Editions - the need for contemporary people (even Lucas himself) to redo/tweak what in most cases worked beautifully for decades - for arbitrary, nonsensical or commercial reasons.

That pretty much sums it up for me too, TaliBane. I'll probably enjoy RO and I enjoyed TFA, but no one has been able to capture that thing, whatever it was, that made SW different for those few years they made them. Stuff like pointless Stormtrooper "updates" only reinforces my feeling on this.

What's a little sad about the armor choices in RO, is that this film is likely the only opportunity where we could have seen OT troops on the big screen exactly as they appeared in the late 70's and 80's.

RO's (likely) the only new SW film that takes place at precisely the same moment as ANH, and just very close to the time period of the entire OT - so it would have been cool to have seen those costumes recreated precisely as they were, instead of the need to retcon them.

The prequels had "pre-stormtroopers" and TFA (and ep8) have "post-stormtroopers" - it would have been really nice to have seen just "stormtroopers" in the classic sense but instead it's "retconned/'more functional' stormtroopers."

I'm just not convinced there was any real need to do it other than a new director's need to put his own stamp/take on Star Wars. He wanted to do a gritty, realistic "war" film and he didn't like that the helmets/armor didn't make perfect functional sense when viewed up-close. But does anything in SW make that kind of sense up close? It's a fantasy film series.

For me it really just falls into line with this constant problem that started with the Special Editions - the need for contemporary people (even Lucas himself) to redo/tweak what in most cases worked beautifully for decades - for arbitrary, nonsensical or commercial reasons.

Good points and true. Someone on the movie thought they knew better. And Vader's codpiece looks stupid now.

The retcon of these stormies visually reminds me of previous attempts to replicate classic OT aliens and characters - like Yoda, Jabba, Bib Fortuna, Nien Nunb etc - in both the prequels and TFA. Despite the attempt to exactly recreate the character, they all ended up looking off - even weird - compared to the magic they pulled off 30+ years earlier with latex and paint.

Like those aliens, the retconned RO stormies sort of feel like the attempted copy got unintentionally messed up somehow, not like there was an intentional attempt to update the design.

A SW fan can certainly tell there's something different/off about the RO stormie overall (compared to the OT stormie,) yet the changes aren't enough to make you go "oh, they updated the design a bit."

Fortunately the filmmakers have been quite vocal about saying it was intentional.:lol

I can't wait for the kathleen kennedy tweaked blu ray release with all the stormtroopers holding flashlights.

The retcon of these stormies visually reminds me of previous attempts to replicate classic OT aliens and characters - like Yoda, Jabba, Bib Fortuna, Nien Nunb etc - in both the prequels and TFA. Despite the attempt to exactly recreate the character, they all ended up looking off - even weird - compared to the magic they pulled off 30+ years earlier with latex and paint.

Like those aliens, the retconned RO stormies sort of feel like the attempted copy got unintentionally messed up somehow, not like there was an intentional attempt to update the design.

A SW fan can certainly tell there's something different/off about the RO stormie overall (compared to the OT stormie,) yet the changes aren't enough to make you go "oh, they updated the design a bit."

Fortunately the filmmakers have been quite vocal about saying it was intentional.:lol

Nien and Akbar visually irritated the **** out of me. All of the prop designers and make up artists that lined up for this gig and that horse **** made the final cut? Why was Nien's head so damn big????

I personally like the idea of making the armor more functional/modular. It makes sense, militarily-speaking. You'd want your troops to be able to make on-the-fly repairs or replacements out in the field. With that said, couldn't they have accomplished that while staying faithful to the original props? I mean, they came somewhat close, but you'd think they'd be able to make exact replicas while still incorporating the functionality Edwards wanted.

I'll always love my classic Stormie but I'm going to find space to display a few Rogue One troopers, warts and all.

The bottom line for me is, I don't hate the changes, I still have my HT Stormies and I'll be sticking to them, I'm actually kind of glad I don't like these enough that I feel compelled to get them, saves money towards the Scarif's, Death, and hopefully soon to be announced Tank Troopers.

Nien and Akbar visually irritated the **** out of me. All of the prop designers and make up artists that lined up for this gig and that horse **** made the final cut? Why was Nien's head so damn big????

I got a funny vision of you screaming at the effects crew kind of like Obie Stane screaming at his techs that Tony Stark could make this in a cave with a box of spare parts. :lol

Back