1/6 Hot toys Marvel Video Game series Spider-man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from Alfred Molina and Willem Dafoe I thought the casting was pretty poor all around in Raimi’s films.

Maguire's time is over and I doubt he wants to come back (though seeing he hasn't done much lately...he might want that paycheck)...

I like Holland and like it was said, Spidey is going to be a "long term" hero for the next Phases of the MCU. This is Marvel's flagship character and they want to ensure the character AND the actor are around for a while.

If that’s a legit idea, that sounds pretty terrible. Also, Maguire was pretty bad as Spider-Man.

Why exactly is it so terrible? Sounds a lot better than what they ended up doing, which is retread old ground by putting him back in high school and trying to keep it fresh by making drastic changes to a classic story and characters. Especially when there are 3 films already existing that did the franchise justice and match the tone of the MCU enough to fit in the same universe.

Why exactly is it so terrible? Sounds a lot better than what they ended up doing, which is retread old ground by putting him back in high school and trying to keep it fresh by making drastic changes to a classic story and characters. Especially when there are 3 films already existing that did the franchise justice and match the tone of the MCU enough to fit in the same universe.

The Raimi films had Parker acquire his powers as a senior in high school, but he didn't begin acting as Spider-Man until after he graduated.

So TECHNICALLY, giving us an older Spider-Man that was juggling a relationship with MJ and a job at the Bugle and all that **** you're after would have been the retread.

Also, please let's not pretend that Spider-Man 3 did anyone or anything "justice". XD

From a logistics standpoint, starting young allows Holland to grow with the role. From a narrative standpoint, starting young gives the MCU something it was lacking : a younger perspective. Letting us see a hero come into his own and grow in a world surrounded by these titans (Iron Man, Cap, etc) is far more interesting than yet another "hrgh, I'm gettin' too old for this ****" battle weary hero XD

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Raimi films had Parker acquire his powers as a senior in high school, but he didn't begin acting as Spider-Man until after he graduated.

So TECHNICALLY, giving us an older Spider-Man that was juggling a relationship with MJ and a job at the Bugle and all that **** you're after would have been the retread.

Also, please let's not pretend that Spider-Man 3 did anyone or anything "justice". XD

From a logistics standpoint, starting young allows Holland to grow with the role. From a narrative standpoint, starting young gives the MCU something it was lacking : a younger perspective. Letting us see a hero come into his own and grow in a world surrounded by these titans (Iron Man, Cap, etc) is far more interesting than yet another "hrgh, I'm gettin' too old for this ****" battle weary hero XD

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Which you could have all gotten that once you quickly pass the mantle to Miles Morales, and told a story onscreen that hadn't been told before. Macguire would have only been there for Civil War and maybe one last solo film to retire the character.

Also by this time Macguire's Peter would have already long since figured out MJ and Bugle problems and like many adults had gotten his act together, having both a stable marriage to MJ and a stable career. Probably not still doing freelance photography work anymore.

Which you could have all gotten that once you quickly pass the mantle to Miles Morales, and told a story onscreen that hadn't been told before. Macguire would have only been there for Civil War and maybe one last solo film to retire the character.

Also by this time Macguire's Peter would have already long since figured out MJ and Bugle problems and like many adults had gotten his act together, having both a stable marriage to MJ and a stable career. Probably not still doing freelance photography work anymore.

Why throw Peter under the bus so fast just to have an adult MCU Spidey? That makes no sense, because not only will the current course likely lead to an adult Spidey, but it gives the chance for them to build up Miles' story over time before having him take over the mantle, similar to how you just described. So effectively you can have your cake and eat it too if you don't throw it out the window of a car moving at 90 mph just to say it's been done for the first time.

An adult Peter would not have been absent from the Battle of NYC. Making him a teen that didn't yet have his powers until recently is the sensible way to include him without screwing up all the history.

I wouldn't mind a time skip in the movies though, since I do want an early to mid 20's Spidey.

What if he would of been holding it down somewhere else in New York.

Why throw Peter under the bus so fast just to have an adult MCU Spidey? That makes no sense, because not only will the current course likely lead to an adult Spidey, but it gives the chance for them to build up Miles' story over time before having him take over the mantle, similar to how you just described. So effectively you can have your cake and eat it too if you don't throw it out the window of a car moving at 90 mph just to say it's been done for the first time.
Except for the fact that the cake you end up eating is bland, uninspiring, and completely different than what you want just for the sake of doing something new. This version of Spidey is neutered, gets all of his tech from Tony Stark, is essentially the Iron Spider right from the start (all those lame gadgets), isn't allowed to web swing at all in the name of funny (driving to a mission?), and is surrounded by characters that are completely unrecognizable to their classic selves.

Were the Raimi films perfect? Hell no. But at least they felt like Spiderman and the characters I grew up with.

Depending on how old you are, but if you're past your twenties, that may be your problem. These aren't supposed to be the characters you grew up with.

I will give you that I wish Peter was a bit more self reliant as far as tech goes, but I do like the mentor aspect of his relationship with Tony.

Last edited:
Depending on how old you are, but if you're past your twenties, that may be your problem. These aren't supposed to be the characters you grew up with.

And that right there is the biggest problem. Why would you ever take decades old characters and completely revamp them to the point where they only have the name in common? Especially when they have been adapted dozens of times the same way and are just as relevant today. Also, I'm in my 20s.

Last edited:
If you're in your twenties then I would think the Ultimate Spiderman series would be your point of reference in terms of comics. Which, starts with Peter in high school. Granted the MCU version strays even from that, even though the Ultimate universe is obviously a big influence on the MCU.

There's been so many iterations of these characters over the years that you're just not going to be able to cater to everybody's ideal version of them, and story adaptations aren't going to be 100% off the page. Even though it's not breaking all new ground, I find Holland to have the charisma of the character that all the actors before him lacked (especially Maguire), which makes the character interesting to watch.

Except for the fact that the cake you end up eating is bland, uninspiring, and completely different than what you want just for the sake of doing something new. This version of Spidey is neutered, gets all of his tech from Tony Stark, is essentially the Iron Spider right from the start (all those lame gadgets), isn't allowed to web swing at all in the name of funny (driving to a mission?), and is surrounded by characters that are completely unrecognizable to their classic selves.

Were the Raimi films perfect? Hell no. But at least they felt like Spiderman and the characters I grew up with.
Honestly it feels like you just didn't like Homecoming at the core and/or on principal because it's not what you know, and you're overlooking a lot of the stuff that they did do right. Which I don't necessarily disagree with you on. But changing characters is par for the course in the MCU at this point.

Whether you like HC or not, what you want with the character will very likely happen over time and an adult Spidey is around the corner. I am not a Homecoming apologist because, truth be told I don't think it's as good as people make it out to be. It's not better than Spiderman 1 or 2, and I'll list off plenty of MCU films before I get to Homecoming.

But it's still at it's root a good film, in my opinion. I too grew up on the Rami films, so those are near and dear to me. But there is no way that anything Rami did would fit into the MCU as it is. And perhaps Holland's Peter is just victim to being written into an existing universe now.

Take a watch of this with an open mind. I genuinely think this guy makes good points and it, at least, ironed out some of my quibbles with Homecoming. I appreciated the film more because of some of these points. And it even reinforces some of the flaws we have already discussed while highlighting Rami's work too.

https://youtu.be/jOGCNX8rBWs

That's why they should have just brought back Tobey Maguire as an adult Spidey and retconned the Raimi films into the MCU. I heard an idea that I really liked where Tony recruits this version of Peter (who is now a science teacher) back into the Avengers during Civil War, and he explains that he actually was there during the battle of New York, however he nearly got himself killed and chose to retire after that day; realizing that the Avengers were more equipped to handle these threats now.
Peter would then die in his next solo film, before setting the stage for Miles Morales to be the more official MCU version of Spiderman. This allows the MCU to have its Peter Parker while allowing them to move forward in a way that doesn't retread old ground or change things too much.

LOL, thankfully you are not involved in the MCU...unnecessarily complicated and absolutely terrible! :lol

And that right there is the biggest problem. Why would you ever take decades old characters and completely revamp them to the point where they only have the name in common? Especially when they have been adapted dozens of times the same way and are just as relevant today. Also, I'm in my 20s.

Why would you want them to keep doing the same thing over and over again?

Made this Peter Parker sculpt, still WIP

peter 7jpg.jpg
peter 8jpg.jpg

That sculpt looks really good so far. Almost looks like spidey ps4 and the animated 90s series mixed. Needs a little work but not bad at all

Back