1/6 Hot Toys - Iron Man 3 - Diecast MMS198D03 War Machine Mark 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, im having a problem with one of the screws, its tighter than @hit and I don't want to risk striping it, is there a good set of tools I can buy online that are perfect for 1/6 scales, thanks in advance guys.

I had the same problem and almost gave up, then I decided to man up and try again and managed to get it loose. I used the screwdriver I bought from local hardware store. You really have to channel your inner zen and be very very very gentle.

I had the same problem and almost gave up, then I decided to man up and try again and managed to get it loose. I used the screwdriver I bought from local hardware store. You really have to channel your inner zen and be very very very gentle.

Using a small flathead sometimes will give you a better grip too

The plastic is naturally grey, but the diecast is painted?

BTW, has anyone here experienced chips and flakes on the diecast paint? I saw some pics on a thigh piece a few pages back, but I believe that wasn't actually a paint chip. So far I haven't experienced any paint issues with my all plastic mark VII.

I still torn between this and waiting for iron patriot, but if iron patriot is going to have some paint issues I may just grab this one.

Quick add on:

Diecast metal is a natural deep grey color right? So if paint does start chipping off, won't it in theory be less noticeable on a grey/black figure than on a spangly red white and blue character?

BTW, has anyone here experienced chips and flakes on the diecast paint? I saw some pics on a thigh piece a few pages back, but I believe that wasn't actually a paint chip. So far I haven't experienced any paint issues with my all plastic mark VII.

I still torn between this and waiting for iron patriot, but if iron patriot is going to have some paint issues I may just grab this one.

I've had mine since release and its still in flawless condition no paint issues so far.. I actually favor this suit over IP. Love the color scheme vs the red,white,blue. This can be had at a decent price right now as well. Go for it!

I received mine the other day and the thigh area is noticeably scratched up. Could someone recommend the right paint to go over it again? Thanks!

The grey part or the silver part? The grey would be tough to match paint wise, its got a bit of metal flake to it. How bad are the scratches? Some flat clear may be the easiest way to mask them a bit.

I picked this up a while back, and was worried I would want to trade up to the iron patriot. But surprisingly, I prefer the warmachine paint job
It gives it a really nice finish that the coloured suits don't have. They all have a semi plastic look, whereas none of warmachine looks plastic to me.
The only thing I prefer from iron patriot is the inclusion of a headsculpt

Diecast metal is a natural deep grey color right? So if paint does start chipping off, won't it in theory be less noticeable on a grey/black figure than on a spangly red white and blue character?

The plastic is the grey color, yes. The diecast is painted with a light grey primer, then either silver or dark grey on it. On the lower torso its all painted silver, then the dark grey is added on top. On like the shoulder caps its painted grey just straight over the lighter grey primer color.

The diecast does not chip easy down to the metal, I had to destroy a torso and it took some direct scratching with a sharp point to scratch the dark grey off of the silver color, and the silver sticks pretty well to the primer, usually you scratch straight through to the metal rather than flake off the primer. It seems like a light grey primer is the base coat on the bare metal on the whole figure, just some places have more layers on top of it. The dark grey is directly on the primer on the shoulders and it was pretty hard to try and expose the primer below with a sharp point.

So on this figure any paint damage doesn't show that badly because it is all silvery and grey anyway. I'm guessing on IP they will use a different color as the base coat, so any paint damage would show that color instead of grey and silver. Again this paint doesn't chip down to the bare metal without a fight. I think unless you are sending your figures on parachuting missions or they take a dive from a high shelf onto something hard I wouldn't worry too much about paint chips.

Here's a few pics, and keep in mind this is what it looks like after being run over with my car

Diecast with light grey primer below dark grey paint
RBM6CR1.jpg

Diecast with silver paint base, dark grey on top. Can see just a hint of light grey primer too.
UrEfciO.jpg

The grey streak is a smooth, hard rub through to the metal, its hard to take a photo of- its really just shiny not a flat grey the way it looks, a bit of the primer along the edges.
NFPgjDn.jpg

I was messing around a bit more with my broken pieces, using tape to test the adherence of the paint. It seems like the main failure point is anywhere there is two layers of paint on top of the primer. So on the lower torso (where the whole piece is silver and only the dark grey is painted on top), the grey can be pulled off of the silver. On the legs (where silver is painted on a base of dark grey), the silver can come off. Again this is deliberately attempting to pull paint off with tape or scraping. The paint adheres very well to the primer though, so any paint chipping won't be exposing metal, but the local base layer of paint, either dark grey or silver. I'm going to see if I can't find a match for the dark grey paint for future reference, I have a few spots to fix with silver as it is.

I still like this figure quite a bit but I think I'm glad I decided to hold out on it and am opting for the Iron Patriot. Funny as at first I wasn't a big fan of the way the Patriot armor looked but it kind of grew on me (as did Iron Man 3 as a film in general really).

I was messing around a bit more with my broken pieces, using tape to test the adherence of the paint. It seems like the main failure point is anywhere there is two layers of paint on top of the primer. So on the lower torso (where the whole piece is silver and only the dark grey is painted on top), the grey can be pulled off of the silver. On the legs (where silver is painted on a base of dark grey), the silver can come off. Again this is deliberately attempting to pull paint off with tape or scraping. The paint adheres very well to the primer though, so any paint chipping won't be exposing metal, but the local base layer of paint, either dark grey or silver. I'm going to see if I can't find a match for the dark grey paint for future reference, I have a few spots to fix with silver as it is.
Thanks for the info, roc. Sounds like if one's careful, it shouldn't be much of a concern. Even I did get a few dings on it, I'd look at it as wear and tear on the armour.

Back