1/6 Hot Toys - Black Panther - T’Chaka

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They pay for those rights. Many times it’s beyond their control what gets approval to be made and what doesnt. And when a figure gets made with a decent sized unlicensed run that decreases the chance an actual licensed figure from the same film gets made. It costs thousands of dollars just to get the license and then thousands more to do the prototypes for approval and in man hours to work with them to get approvals for everything from copy to box art.

Most of the unlicensed stuff that’s getting attention lately is of the Fox marvel stuff or the arrowverse stuff. With Fox, hot toys bought the rights and had to pay both marvel and Fox a fee, but the actors likeness rights where not included in the Fox contractors so each actor can approve or deny anything or flat refuse to authorize and if they do they can charge whatever they want. Hot toys wanted to make some of those figures (prof x for example) but they just couldn’t legally. Even though they still paid for the rights. So having someone else not pay those fees or any of the associated costs and then make products is a hard pill to swallow. Makes it hard for marvel or Warner or continue to sell those expensive licenses if they just let people without it make the figures anyway.

Which is why if it’s just some person make one off items or low run it’s not somthing they much care to push. But when a couple companies are cranking out decent run sizes and making five or ten unique figures, like say toys era, that’s gonna be an issue.

Truly enlightening... I so rarely buy unlicensed figures I honestly never took any of this into consideration and didn't occur to me how much of a big deal it is. Ignorance on my part for sure.

I really wish this had the T'Chaka HS included. I love this look and it'd look great next to the other offerings but being able to place him holding his helmet would have been great next to T'Challa doing the same.

Screen_Shot_2018_07_05_at_2_20_12_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2018_07_05_at_2_20_41_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2018_07_05_at_2_21_30_PM.png
Just wait, Eleven might make one. He did for T'Challa.

Truly enlightening... I so rarely buy unlicensed figures I honestly never took any of this into consideration and didn't occur to me how much of a big deal it is. Ignorance on my part for sure.

No worries man. Most people don’t give it much thought, or care either way. I’ve done the business side and licensing stuff since I was a kid. My family has owned a studio or worked at a studio since I was 4(Mom and dad) so it’s been part of my life for a long time. Otherwise i probably wouldn’t know either.

This really does look impressive to me. Captures a lot of the African influence with his Wakanda garb and yet still the superhero-ness with the suit. I was debating getting a BP or Killmonger but I may get this.

Hopefully this doesn't sell out fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This really does look impressive to me. Captures a lot of the African influence with his Wakanda garb and yet still the superhero-ness with the suit. I was debating getting a BP or Killmonger but I may get this.

Hopefully this doesn't sell out fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it will- possibly in a day or three....we will see

He really is a pretty cool addition to the Black Panther family. I'm just not into the BP universe enough to have any more figures from it other than a singe T'challa for my MCU lineup.

Now... if HT ever did something like this from the Thor universe it would be instant pre-order... King Odin please! (I'm still not ruling out one day ordering Hela if she is ever on special somewhere, or I amass a huge load of RP)

I'll probably get this one since it is a completely different character. I like the Cap costume, but it's just a concept piece that never saw screen time. Now watch me pass on it and the value go through the roof. I would have preferred to see Valkyrie, Okeyo, and/or Nebula.

I'll probably get this one since it is a completely different character. I like the Cap costume, but it's just a concept piece that never saw screen time. Now watch me pass on it and the value go through the roof. I would have preferred to see Valkyrie, Okeyo, and/or Nebula.

If you don't want the Cap what does future value have to do with anything?

it might become worth zillions!

The funny thing is, if I die after my mrs, whoever in her family or my family sorts out through my stuff will no doubt sell my collection on a Facebook buy/sell page for a few dollars... :lol

Even if I was to downsize my living, I'm not even sure I'd know where to be bothered selling bits and pieces.. I'm not sure NZ has that huge of a Hot Toy community to buy/sell/trade with..

Gotta get this one, loved this suit even though we didn't see it for long. This one will look good on the shelf!

I really don't care. I don't buy figures based on what a piece may or may not eventually sell for. Not exactly a savvy investment strategy. The only time it's a bit of a pain is if I change my mind about something down the road and end up having to pay a premium, which was my point, not the fact that maybe I could make a couple of hundred dollars on it. I have tons of figures that are probably worth 2 to 3 times what I paid for them, and others that have no doubt gone down in value. I could not care less. I do like the look of the concept suit, but right now I've got more than enough Caps as it is.

Because sometimes you can flip it for a rare toy you can't afford down the line. I always consider that when buying some of these toys. Granted, I've only sold one out of the 30+ I've bought, but sometimes when you're on the fence about one, future resale value can tip the scales.

Eh, this is a pretty lazy release IMO. The CW suit with some gold paint and pants for a character that had 2 minutes of screen time. If they had included a head sculpt I would probably feel differently but as it stands, when Killmonger releases it will be the far superior gold suit.

These are supposed to be just tweaks and updates as they are exclusive figures. It’s got a new head, it’s just not a human face.

I never care about screen time. If it looks great i'm all in and i don't see any of the other BP figures standing out on the shelf like this one. They all look great but this has a little something more IMO.

^Agreed, I went for it because I love the aesthetics of the suit and feel it will really pop on the shelf. I passed on BP and KM because I felt they weren’t interesting enough, but this one hits the mark for me.

Back