1/6 Hot Toys – MMS – Back to the Future Part II: Marty McFly Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite being actual hair, I actually think rooted hair can sometimes kind of cheapen the look of a figure in making it look too doll-like. I think there's more cases where it doesn't work than does work. There's only a few instances where it actually does work better than sculpted hair on figures.

Couldn't agree more. Sculpted hair is almost always the better option as long as the person doing the sculpting is good. Even my wife doesn't like rooted hair too much and she collects Tonner dolls and Barbie. It just hardly ever looks good at this scale.

It's one of those endless debates, but we'll just have to agree to disagree here. The problem is that we're used to the -awful- quality of rooted hair on comercially released figures, but when done right there's simply no competition:

aragorn3.jpg

Sculpted hair can still work for really short hair cuts, but the moment you're dealing with long hair you really need to move to actual hair. And of course, you can forget about having a character with blonde sculpted hair: it's never going to work. That's the reason we end with darker haired version of Thor, Luke and the like.

I think the head-sculpt looks great, I don’t see how people can use the word ‘awful’. It’s not perfect but no way is it that bad.

The BTTF1 Marty was a huge disappointment for me, the expression was horrible and the skin tone was way off (too dark) plus the body was off.

This looks really nice though, such an iconic look.

80539CE7-1D0D-41E5-A63F-976CACBC72A2.jpeg

C5C5A75F-C4B2-42EC-880D-48263A3BC370.jpeg

F2050C75-BC2F-4F9D-B7A3-7CB8CE24AF3A.jpeg

I broke down and bought him, Should get by next week. The clincher was the Wild Gunman accessory.

Looking forward to seeing your pics, hopefully he looks good in hand.

As for the rooted v sculpted hair argument. The rooted hair on the best customs will always win out in terms of realism but they cost a fortune. We'll never realistically get that level of quality mass produced by companies like Hot Toys and sculpted hair beats average rooted hair every time for me.

I think the head looks better than the first, but don't know if I can justify two Martys in the collection. Maybe at a discount if it hangs around.

I think the head looks better than the first, but don't know if I can justify two Martys in the collection. Maybe at a discount if it hangs around.

The first HT Marty was nice, the sculpt was not quite there but the tailoring accessories were awesome, the paint app on that fig was not the best. I think HT might of listened to recent complaints about the skin tones they use on caucasian figs being too dark. This Marty paint app looks a lot better imo.

I do agree that the paint apps on this sculpt appear to be a bit more accurate; the first one was way too tan. However, I think the expression on the first figure conveys "Marty" much better than this one.

This might be the case for me as well. I think the most iconic BttF representation in any collection would be the first Marty figure with a 1985 radiation suit Doc, which is my ultimate goal and would be completely content with that.

As I've stated before though, Part 2 is my favorite BttF film and I do like that jacket that he's wearing, so at most I'd have a Part 1 Marty and Doc and then just this Part 2 Marty if he can be had at a discount. He comes with a lot of iconic BttF trilogy artifacts that are key to the entire story, such as the Almanac, so that would be pretty nice to have in a BttF display.

I do agree that the paint apps on this sculpt appear to be a bit more accurate; the first one was way too tan. However, I think the expression on the first figure conveys "Marty" much better than this one.

Yeah I agree, maybe a hint of a smirk or something. Fox is such a fun actor to watch in his many roles, including when he was on Family Ties. Maybe BTTF II is a bit more of a darker film then Part I. There are a lot of times in Part II he has that pensive look though, so I can see why HT have gone with that look.

Yeah I agree, maybe a hint of a smirk or something. Fox is such a fun actor to watch in his many roles, including when he was on Family Ties. Maybe BTTF II is a bit more of a darker film then Part I. There are a lot of times in Part II he has that pensive look though, so I can see why HT have gone with that look.

I agree that Part 2 is a darker film than the first. However, in all three films, I think a lot of the times he was in WTF mode when trying to make sense of whatever the new situation was, which the first sculpt captures nicely.

Now I remember what face this reminds me of.....

It's the face he makes after switching places with his son and looking at Biff for the first time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I remember what face this reminds me of.....

It's the face he makes after switching places with his son and looking at Biff for the first time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean Griff. :lol

And yeah, I've said that as well.

attachment.php

I think HT might have listened to recent complaints about the skin tones they use on Caucasian figs being too dark. This Marty paint app looks a lot better imo.

That would be great. Hopefully they're starting a trend, and the whole industry will follow. As it stands, every other manufacturer ends up with figures that are too tanned.

The first HT Marty was nice, the sculpt was not quite there but the tailoring accessories were awesome,

I always thought the forehead on the PT1 Marty was a bit too high. I tried an experiment to see how it would look with the hair a bit lower.
It was just an idea. I am hoping this new one will look better in hand though, as some of the pics so far have left a lot to be desired. But i know from experience that pics can be inaccurate to what your eye sees.

5024B9E1-9165-42EA-BB3E-F0151D80FCF6.jpg

F2C2F6B9-8E27-495D-8648-44BB7487100B.jpg

F589A1D9-720A-4B87-A6D8-F4E80F24F407.jpg

E3734A17-3626-46E9-BAC2-0880C3ACDCE7.jpg

6BEF1AB9-4893-47D4-8547-60BC39601285.jpg

Back