1/6 Desert Sands Sandtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice figure over all, but I can not for the life of me figure out why in the world Sideshow still bases the troopers buckets on the old FX style (which is FAR from accurate)? As a 501st member its so frustrating to see this helmet constantly on the Sideshow figures. Marmit was able to capture the helmet far better than Sideshow.

I totally agree and sympathize with you, Hollywood! Marmit got the helmet right the first time and they released their figure/armor kits long before Sideshow. I'm so tempted to toss out the sideshow helmets and use my Marmit ones instead. But i'd still have to repaint them:gah:

I do like the weathering on this new figure. Looks good.

I still would pick up a Stormtrooper if Hot Toys ever makes one of their own:pray:

Just....WOW!

Here's a teaser of Sandy sitting in with Figrin D'an.

SittingIn.jpg

These both look great! The trooper looks amazing...just superb weathering, These a both really the production pieces?

Glad I kept both orders....well done, Sideshow....well done!

@Hollywood

What's the differences of the helmets? I see some.

S1300010Small.jpg

Marmit, Medicom, Sideshow, Kotobukiya.

Marmit and Kotobukiya are the most accurate. The Kotobukiya Stormtrooper is even more accurate than the Koto Sandies, but the pose on the Koto Stormie is stupid. Medi looks good for ROTJ and with small changes on the helmet (especially painting the frown all black) it would look perfect for ROTJ (too bad the armor is not like ROTJ though). The SS has a big fat jaw (under the frown) and also bent backwards and the mic tips are way over sized.

Here are some of my 1:1 Stormie lids so you can see the differences, from right to left ANH "Move Along" Sandtrooper, ANH SDS Stunt, ANH TE2 Stunt, ANH SiMan/RS Prop Masters Stunt, ESB ATA Stunt, CfO ROTJ Hero:

stormielids.jpg

Wow the helmet really does look like the FX bucket when you compare it. I had a gut feeling there was something off, but I'm not that versed in trooper armor to say anything. Too bad, because the weathering looks really good.

Also the flat chest plate really irks me. For it's price tag this figures should be accurate with a capital "A"! You shouldn't have to tweak anything.

This is very unfortunate considering I was going to place my order for the Dewback set today. I'll have to rethink this.

The koto one is my favourite out the lot even though its smaller/poor paintjob but the weight of it in your hand feels right :D

I dont think I have seen this mentioned in any of the reviews.

Last edited:
I saw this at Toy Anxiety yesterday, it's got the goods. Like a DX Sandtrooper, but I wonder why SSC didn't include the orange pauldron too? Weird.

Definitely grabbing one of these bad boys! ..and once I have him on the shelf with the others, I'm sure I won't be able to resist the Dewback either :monkey2 :yess:

@Hollywood

What's the differences of the helmets? I see some.

S1300010Small.jpg

Marmit, Medicom, Sideshow, Kotobukiya.

They all have their own issues. However IMO Sideshows, just looks like the old oversized helmets that used to be 501st acceptable. The FX helmet is just wonky, big, and just wrong. LOL!

I totally agree and sympathize with you, Hollywood! Marmit got the helmet right the first time and they released their figure/armor kits long before Sideshow. I'm so tempted to toss out the sideshow helmets and use my Marmit ones instead. But i'd still have to repaint them:gah:

I do like the weathering on this new figure. Looks good.

I still would pick up a Stormtrooper if Hot Toys ever makes one of their own:pray:

The Marmit figures to me, are the best Stormtrooper representation. If Hot Toys ever released one I suspect that it would rock!

considering Hot toys worked with sideshow to make the ones we're already getting, i think we already HAVE hot toys stormtroopers.

Anyone else get theirs yet?

Any pics of how the magnet in the back pack works?

Is the magnet part of the back armour or underneath the armour?

Just got mine.
This is my first star wars 1/6 figure and quality wise it is much much nicer than I was thinking it was going to be.

My only gripe is the backpack weighs so much, I can't really do any creative posing, he just falls backwards, even with the stand/hooks.

Any tips on this aside from just taking the pack off?

considering Hot toys worked with sideshow to make the ones we're already getting, i think we already HAVE hot toys stormtroopers.

From what I remember Hot Toys helped with making the Pro body for the armored troopers. Therefore, there's still a chance that Hot Toys can make their own Stormtrooper:pray:

Anyways, I just ordered a bunch of loose parts from this set over at TA. Gonna update the armor on the previous Sandtroopers that SS released.

GO GET 'EM!!!!!!

looking forward to getting mine and completing my sandy squad. got me the previous 3 sandies and 2 marmits that were weathered by Dorgmal Snow, im still tempted to get another one of these guys but i think a 6 man squad is enough.

i'm about to type something i haven't in a long time..................

OUT FOR DELIVERY..................:panic::panic::panic:

Just got mine and its set up - wish they all had the magnet idea - it works great.

Paint apps on this one are killer, as the pics in this thread have shown....way way nicer than previous three, but happy with my set of 4

Here is my quick and dirty pic - considering this is kinda a 'best of' edition, rather than anything really new, aside from the backpack changes, magnet, and paint apps....should have come with the flying droid from Special Editions, IMO

Last edited:
Just ordered this locally for $135 with free shipping. Looks like this is going to be my first OT figure. :yess:

Back