1/6 Desert Sands Sandtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See, those are the kinds of details I don't care about. They're errors or easter-eggs of the costuming/production department of the original movie. IMO, the perfect Storm trooper figure should be better than the costumes in the movies. After all, some of the movie props were put together with junk and had to be modified on-set. What did the original designers envision? Costuming must have had to make due and cut a lot of corners - trooper armor is for all intents and purposes totally cosmetic as it's totally ineffectual for combat - troops might as well be wearing garbage cans. ;)

Check out this detailed coverage of different Stormtrooper armor from the movies (stunt personnel, luke, han, etc..) https://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/anhref.html

See, those are the kinds of details I don't care about. They're errors or easter-eggs of the costuming/production department of the original movie. IMO, the perfect Storm trooper figure should be better than the costumes in the movies. After all, some of the movie props were put together with junk and had to be modified on-set. What did the original designers envision? Costuming must have had to make due and cut a lot of corners - trooper armor is for all intents and purposes totally cosmetic as it's totally ineffectual for combat - troops might as well be wearing garbage cans. ;)

Check out this detailed coverage of different Stormtrooper armor from the movies (stunt personnel, luke, han, etc..) https://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/anhref.html

I'm saying the following without any bad intention: I see you are new here, look at my posts on this forum and you'll realize you don't need to remind me almost anything regarding a Stormtrooper :wave

We all know a Stormtrooper armor as it is would not do anything to protect you in real life, for God's sake they are made of thin ABS and the helmets are not sealed to the body. That is not the point. The fact that Marmit got to make even that small detail shows their strive for accuracy. That is why I mentioned it.

I wasn't trying to remind you of anything, I was trying to explain that personally, I value a quality product over one that simply matches esoteric details. In that regard, I fully accept a product designer to take some liberties and even transcend a literal translation of the original source if they can produce something that will feel/work better in-hand as a figure. I'm collecting a 1/6 representation of an idealistic trooper primarily, not a movie prop. ;)

You have however convinced me to grab at least two Marmits. Further to that, is there any difference between Marmit Sandtroopers of different rank? I notice the packaging is a little different between regular (squad leader) and sergeant, but I don't know if there are any build or item count differences. I'd like to grab one Sandtrooper and one Stormtrooper.

Last edited:
Get a Marmit Stormtrooper and a Sideshow one next to each other and then you'll understand what I'm trying to say. Quite simple, even if you collect idealized "artistic interpretation" figures. ;)

There is a difference between the Sandtroopers, of course. Besides the different weathering and pauldrons, the back pack is also different.

There is a difference between the Sandtroopers, of course. Besides the different weathering and pauldrons, the back pack is also different.

But same mold used for the armor and same body? In other words, each of the character variations are produced with the same quality? Same number of pack-in items/accessories? Is there any reason for one to command a higher dollar value than another?

But same mold used for the armor and same body? In other words, each of the character variations are produced with the same quality? Same number of pack-in items/accessories? Is there any reason for one to command a higher dollar value than another?

The armor and the helmet themselves are identical between the Sandtroopers. The fact that one costs more than the other might be because the orange pauldron is the most sought after or because another one is an exclusive. They come with different rifles though, at lest the first 3. I have the first 3 Sandies from SS and they are pretty cool.

The Marmit with orange is their original "Sandtrooper" as far as I can tell and definitely older than the others - I've only ever seen one more, the Sergeant with white. So by my count, Marmit has released 2 with different names and SSC has released 4. PLus one Stormtrooper each.

I can see both sides of the argument, I personally want "screen" accuracy as far as an iconic look, but it needs balance. To me, sloppy mistakes (errors in accuracy) shouldn't be made, but something thats just a result of sloppy work or piss poor reshoots shouldn't be reproduced imo. I'm not as into detail on Stormtroopers (they all kind of look the same to me) so I will generally depend on someone like JKNO's expertise who has done all the homework, but I also temper what he says by knowing hes so psychotic that he knows if an imperial firearm is screen accurate. :horror

^ :lol

Yeah, I'm with JKNO all the way. :)

There's obviously pros & cons to all these figures, but as he said - if you could have the accuracy of a Marmit, combined with the better material used for the SSC armour - plus it's associated accessory items that were made a little better as well.. it'd be worthy of joining the HT Luke & Tamashii 3PO club. :rock

For the record, I owned a SSC Sandie Corporal a while back, but I didn't like it so I sold it.

I don't understand the mentality of any production company who would spend any amount of time on accuracy and not follow through with appropriate material selection to be able to create a robust product. You see this situation quite regularly in all kinds of product classes.

SSC's Sand's armor feels like ABS to me. It's robust, but honestly, if I were designing this for them, I would have probably chosen PC (Polycarbonate). PC allows for a more glossy finish that isn't possible on ABS. That would then allow some very nice weathering contrast possibilities.

In fact, if I were to design such a product I'd create a deluxe kit that shipped with pristine unweathered armor and supplies for DIY weathering. Some adhesive, fine sand-colred dust, a couple of grease-like pencils in browns, some emery board and a few other bits. Packaged with a naked body and all the armor and accessories uninstalled. Both Sand trooper and Stormtrooper parts, including all three pauldron colors, so the collector could put together whichever variation they wished. Such a product would probably do well in this community.

You know what I want in my Sandtrooper? A price tag under $300. I've got a Hasbro Sandie on my Sideshow Dewback and it's looks like Kevin Federline driving a Ferrari (which I am sure that jacka$$ got to do)...

I don't understand the mentality of any production company who would spend any amount of time on accuracy and not follow through with appropriate material selection to be able to create a robust product. You see this situation quite regularly in all kinds of product classes.
Yeah, Marmits have been around for over ten years now maybe? Inevitably as time passes, manufacturing techniques improve, so these guys got left behind a little in that regard by other companies like SSC coming forward.

SSC's Sand's armor feels like ABS to me. It's robust, but honestly, if I were designing this for them, I would have probably chosen PC (Polycarbonate). PC allows for a more glossy finish that isn't possible on ABS. That would then allow some very nice weathering contrast possibilities.
Yeah, totally. The SSC Sandie armour is definitely NOT glossy. Even with baked on grime, the movie suits still retained somewhat of a 'sheen'.

In fact, if I were to design such a product I'd create a deluxe kit that shipped with pristine unweathered armor and supplies for DIY weathering. Some adhesive, fine sand-colred dust, a couple of grease-like pencils in browns, some emery board and a few other bits. Packaged with a naked body and all the armor and accessories uninstalled. Both Sand trooper and Stormtrooper parts, including all three pauldron colors, so the collector could put together whichever variation they wished. Such a product would probably do well in this community.
That sounds like an awesome idea. :clap

Last edited:

If you are talking about Marmits, they used PVC since that once heated can be handled better and thus placed onto the body of the figure. Do not forget the Marmits came as kits which you need to assemble, at least partially.

Robustness was once the main goal to achieve for most industries. Unfortunately, things have changed in the last 2 or 3 decades. Manufacturers understood that achieving robustness was in fact unproductive for their other goal, profit.
If your customers are satisfied by your product for too long, then they won't buy as many as you'd like thus reducing your incomes.

I just got to pick one of these up brand new for only $125. Its been sitting at my local comic shop for a minute and I recently looked it up to find how much they go for online now and knew I should snap it up quick. Gotta say I'm really glad I did. He's looking awesome next to my Boba Fett.

20130605175047.jpg

I just got to pick one of these up brand new for only $125. Its been sitting at my local comic shop for a minute and I recently looked it up to find how much they go for online now and knew I should snap it up quick. Gotta say I'm really glad I did. He's looking awesome next to my Boba Fett.

Nice buy. I hope I can find one for that price someday. :pray: I thought they'd be available for a lot longer than they were. :monkey2

Back