1/6 Desert Sands Sandtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks seem divided on the Marmits. Some rank them behind SSC, others ahead. Is this another troop in an army or your first ST?

Marmits have there issues but the sculpt is far superior to ssc or even the medi, the ssc is superior in detailing and materials

Apart from licensing issues I'm not sure what's so difficult about sculpting a trooper. I'm not exactly an expert sculptor, but I think even I could knock one of these off with some time. Give me a computer, some 3D software and access to a mould production company and that's all she wrote.

Folks seem divided on the Marmits. Some rank them behind SSC, others ahead. Is this another troop in an army or your first ST?

Apart from licensing issues I'm not sure what's so difficult about sculpting a trooper. I'm not exactly an expert sculptor, but I think even I could knock one of these off with some time. Give me a computer, some 3D software and access to a mould production company and that's all she wrote.

Personally I put the Marmit Stormtrooper first, then the Medi and the SS last.

The Marmits might have some issues when assembling them, since they are supposed to be kits. But regarding accuracy they are light years ahead of SS. The only 2 things that SS did better was the E-11 blaster (SS weapons are the best out there) and the Stormtrooper belt. I also prefer the ABS used by SS in Stormtrooper armor compared to the PVC used by Marmit and Medicom.

Sculpting a Stormtrooper seems to be not that easy after watching various sculpts. Only Gentle Giant mini-bust, Marmit figure and Kotobukiya (oddly posed) figure were close in appearance to a real Stormtrooper. SS (1:6 and 1:4 PF), Attakus, GG statue etc. have all some issues. At least GG scanned a screen used helmet for their TK mini-bust, thus making it the most accurate scaled helmet out there (though still a tad too small and the mic tips too long).

I'm not sure how anyone can say anything positive about Medicom troopers. Granted, I haven't had one in-hand, but I haven't seen images online that don't make them look like misproportioned runts. A fact only amplified when they're put up next to any of the others. But I'll have to try snagging a Marmit to see what all the fuss is about.

Last edited:
I do not get the dislike for the SS Stormtrooper at all. With some very minor mods the SS trooper is absolutely beautiful. The Marmit is nice and the Medi lacks in the helmet and height dept severely IMO. I'll take anyone's SS troopers who can't stand to look at them anymore.

Maybe it' a reverse psychology thing, since the SSC seem to command the highest prices, this could be a way to bring them down. ;) And like it says in the signature below, I'm looking for Stormtropers and Sandtroopers (any but the corporal).

I'm not sure how anyone can say anything positive about Medicom troopers. Granted, I haven't had one in-hand, but I haven't seen images online that don't make them look like misproportioned runts. A fact only amplified when they're put up next to any of the others. But I'll have to try snagging a Marmit to see what all the fuss is about.

The armor on the Medi Stormie is a bit more accurate than the SS version. Not by much but still. Better cod piece, better chest plate, and even better helmet. Though the Medi seems a combo of ANH and ROTJ (thin/slim helmet with lower brow reminds it of ROTJ lids a lot, but the mouth is gray, also no trim on the armor margins like on ROTJ armors), thus not perfect, the SS misses too much to be accurate too (see below a couple details about SS helmet). The fact that they are small is well known, but overall it has a better armor/helmet shape than SS.

I do not get the dislike for the SS Stormtrooper at all. With some very minor mods the SS trooper is absolutely beautiful. The Marmit is nice and the Medi lacks in the helmet and height dept severely IMO. I'll take anyone's SS troopers who can't stand to look at them anymore.

Look at the SS Stormie oddly shaped helmet (bad looking face plate, sagging tubes, huge mic tips) - the helmet/face is the most important element for any character - SS is a big miss here. Of course it looks like a Stormtrooper, but so does the old 1:1 F/X helmet, and when compared to a screen used one (or a helmet molded from a screen used one) it looks like crap. Then look at the small cod piece, this would work well for female Stormtrooper customs.

I indeed sold one of my 2 SS Stormtroopers last year. I kept one just because I'm a Stormtrooper freak. I also have the 3 Sandtroopers from SS and they are a bit better than Stormies maybe because the weathering (which is far from perfect either) is covering some of the issues.

I also wouldn't take this review https://toyhaven.blogspot.ca/2009/04/sideshow-vs-marmit-vs-medicom.html for granted, that guy doesn't know Stormtroopers too well.

The Marmit even has the accurate thumb print on the bicep, how many of you noticed that? To have a Marmit with solid white ABS armor (instead of PVC), SS belt and SS E-11 would make the best scaled Stormtrooper hands down. I'm not a SS hater nor a Medi lover. I like all my Stormies, accurate or not, but since Marmit managed to do it so well many years ago, I'm wondering what is SS waiting for.

Ok, I've added a Marmit trooper to my wanted list. Enough is enough and I have to have one in my own paws to judge for myself. ;) I'm a designer and hyper-critical over quality. I don't care so much about a thumb print (I have no idea what this is in reference to), but I very much want to judge these guys on their build quality and accuracy (this one within reason).

Ok, I've added a Marmit trooper to my wanted list. Enough is enough and I have to have one in my own paws to judge for myself. ;) I'm a designer and hyper-critical over quality. I don't care so much about a thumb print (I have no idea what this is in reference to), but I very much want to judge these guys on their build quality and accuracy (this one within reason).

Bicep armor thumb print = accuracy to the highest (and craziest) level possible:

bicepspart.jpg

Back