1/6 Death Star Swing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only concern is that this baby obviously took a lot of time and work to do. Aren't you concerned about the fragility of the materials?

Well, it's still getting worked on, but it's surprisingly sturdy. Between extra glue and the way I have the base, it will suit it's purpose. In all likelihood, it will sit on a shelf, so I wanted it to be light. Also, I don't have any woodworking tools, so I am limited in the materials I can use. At least I think. This is the first time I've really tried anything like this and the material I chose (foamboard, cardboard) is the first that came to mind. If there are better materials, I'd have to see/ask what others are using. If there is a diorama that lends itself to this material, it's this one. It's a floor, inner wall, and outer wall, all flat, not much texture. It will be stationary and out of harms way, so for this one I am not concerned. I'm handling with care during the building process, but I'm pretty sure it could take a fall off the shop table and still be in tact.

Which explains why all the freaks with a sub-4th grade reading level are here ^^^^^ing about the thread's title. :lol

Who's ^^^^^ing? I think people are just making an observation that a 1/6 scale Death Star (the entire thing, not just the chasm that Leia and Luke swing through) would be really huge and the idea of kids swinging on it would be kind of funny. There's really no reason to call people stupid over something so trivial.

Once again, that's a very cool diorama Darth_IMPoor. Great work and I look forward to seeing your next project.

Well, it's still getting worked on, but it's surprisingly sturdy. Between extra glue and the way I have the base, it will suit it's purpose. In all likelihood, it will sit on a shelf, so I wanted it to be light. Also, I don't have any woodworking tools, so I am limited in the materials I can use. At least I think. This is the first time I've really tried anything like this and the material I chose (foamboard, cardboard) is the first that came to mind. If there are better materials, I'd have to see/ask what others are using. If there is a diorama that lends itself to this material, it's this one. It's a floor, inner wall, and outer wall, all flat, not much texture. It will be stationary and out of harms way, so for this one I am not concerned. I'm handling with care during the building process, but I'm pretty sure it could take a fall off the shop table and still be in tact.

Try using Styrene plastic. I've found its easy to work with, light weight and pretty sturdy.

Here's tonight's update pics. I believe it's a few days from being done. Finished the ramp today. Took all that extra paper that's been hanging off from the front on earlier pics and bent it, folded it, and got what looks pretty darn close to my reference photo. The underside is just hand cut fun foam, the "pins" or whatever they may be called, are HO train wheels I had laying around. Primed in dark gray

7003.jpg

4 photos of my light test

7001.jpg

7002.jpg

7004.jpg

7005.jpg

I have a little tweaking to do. As you can see, some lights are showing through the foam. Gotta paint and detail the ramp, then glue the pad down. Plus I want to clean it up just a bit. The pics are great, but in person there are some things that need some work. Then it needs a couple Sideshow figures!! Hope you like the progress, Jeff

Darth... I can not explain how great it is to see this project develop and grow. This dio has been on my todo list since I started late last year, and yours is a great inspiration. I love it. Have you thought about how to display it? I had the idea of hanging it on a wall, that way you would get the idea of height and space around it. The Lights are great and bring the dio alive.
My personal favourite part so far is the ramp/bridge.... it adds so much to the dio giving it a complete new dimension. I, unlike others, don't want to see it finished.... I love watching it come together, the updates are wonderful. I don't want it to end :(.
The are so many amazing dios on this forum and yours is one of them, the sad thing is that once complete they offend get lost or buried in the millions of other threads.
We could do with a dio gallery! Just of work like yours so it does not get lost. It is a great inspiration to others and I would definitely recommend joining the diorama build group or some thing like that... That way it will not get buried.

Thank you and keep working...... I chuffin love it!!!!!!!!

What a way to introduce yourself! That dio is freakin' sweet! I am really jealous of those of you who have that talent. I hope to be able to do that kind of thing some day.

Great work and welcome to the Freakshow!

Man I wish I had the talent & or patience to do these I would have a different one as the backing in my detolf shelves...welldone!

Wow awesome work mate. I Agree with Dorgmal there are a lot of very well done Dio's on this site and a lot of helpful people.

Back