1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to ask if there's any updates on this?
Looking forward to being able to order these parts!

Hopefully not long now. I hope that it is the sooner rather than later. Time for me is a precious commodity and I'd love to see this labour of love come to physical fruition.

I just hope it comes out before the new Quarter Scale vader so I don't have to buy that one lol. Would much rather have an accurate Vader in 1/6

Sorry for the lack of updates. It's been a while since I heard from the printing company, but that's usually due to them being really busy, and I needed some things fixed for printing. The wait is especially hard on me as I am so overly exited to see this done. I will update you guys the moment I know more.

I finally heard from the printing company. They are now preparing the models for printing. Apparently they require a little more work than usual, so I guess I went overboard and didn't prepare things properly. I've asked them to give a list of things I can do myself in the future so it won't give them so much work.

I think you need to find a faster 3d printing company. LOL.
Good to hear they've finally got around to it. Looking forward to seeing the results!

I finally heard from the printing company. They are now preparing the models for printing. Apparently they require a little more work than usual, so I guess I went overboard and didn't prepare things properly. I've asked them to give a list of things I can do myself in the future so it won't give them so much work.

Really looking forward to this. I feel I squeezed as much as I was able to out of the HT Vader through customization, but I can't get past the oversized helmet.

I am waiting for HT's ROTJ Vader, but... is really the helmet that oversized in their previous outings? Which one do you refer to? ANH? RO? ESB?
m.

I think you need to find a faster 3d printing company. LOL.
Good to hear they've finally got around to it. Looking forward to seeing the results!

If I didn't get sick from resin, even when wearing proper protective gear, then I would buy a resin printer and print it myself, and completely skip the molding and casting side of things, but that's sadly not possible.

Having been preoccupied with playing online games for a bit I think I may have regained the interest to continue and finish the RotJ Vader and other 3D models. I need to find good reference of hero RotJ belt boxes to rework all the greeblies to match, as well as finishing the work on the face mask. The dome will have to be fixed by hand and will be an ESB base that needs some sanding and filling in certain areas to be a passable RotJ. Though really nice high end RotJ domes exist in fandom, I don't really want to go through the trouble of getting things worked out to get it scanned.

It took a while, but I've gotten the print ready models back for review. It's actually the first time I've seen one of their prepared models and it is interesting to see and now I understand why things take so long with my models, as the finished models I made had lots of greeblie parts sticking into each other and into the surface of the main pieces. On the print ready models only the outside surface remains, fusing the greeblies to the surface and removing everything on the inside. This has informed me of a few things - I need to limit the amount of stuff sticking inside the main outer surface, so I can easily simplify for instance the grill model inside the mask. And having seen what they do, I can now try to make things easier for them in the future and try and connect as many greeblie pieces as I can to the main surface, instead of just letting it stick inside, as separate surfaces intersecting. I probably won't be able to do it on the more complex greeblies, but the simple ones should be easy to do and will cut down the costs on what they need to do to prepare the models a bit.

So I assume it's ready for printing since they've done all this work to it now then? Hopefully their printing is quicker than their prep time. Can't wait to see it!

Back