1/6 DARK TOYS DTM005 Collectible Figure MAX DX

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Freaks, been a few years since I’ve been on the boards, but decided to sign in and show my progress on Max. Took a couple of pics with my old ass iPhone 6 and then decided they looked like crap and dusted off the old Canon for a couple of quick shots too. Had to charge the battery first, but I finally got it working again 😂
So I gave the sculpt a few washes of different shades of flesh tones to tone down that horrible yellow color. I used a few red washes for the injured eye area and went over the beard a few times with some light black washes. Added the bandages and did some light weathering with a mix of paint and chalk pastels on the outfit. Oh and that crazy big red cloth on the arm needs to be cut in half and weathered. Adding some padding to the shoulders, sides, and left arm help the jacket look less puffy too 😉
Brilliant,.I love it. Thanks for sharing after these years and welcome back. Its a good year to be a Mad Max fan.

I see that you also removed the stuffing inside the shoulder pad. I have to do that

We got Humungus. 34 cm. Whats Dark Toys Max height?

Collector freaks Present Toys Humungus thread
Matrix, your paintwork look great! And Max looks very realistic with just the t-shirt on. Head looks fine to me.

You've sold me on keeping the DT body... but he needs a little boost in height. I agree, adding ankle extenders should solve that.

Did you measure him as he stands in his boots without modification? I'd love to know how much height he needs. Mel isn't very tall really.
Surprisingly he's a tad over 30 cm

I touched up the eyes and eyebrows on the clean sculpt. With the right lighting it's kind of passable.

DSC_0242.JPGDSC_0243.JPGDSC_0241.JPG

There is enough Mel in the sculpts that I'm happy with them. I know they are recasts, but they are vastly superior to the Premier and Present offerings. With some touch-ups they do shine.

I touched up the eyes and eyebrows on the clean sculpt. With the right lighting it's kind of passable.

View attachment 654123View attachment 654124View attachment 654125

Making the eyes pop like that with the blue really helps sell Mel.

I don't know how the hell you got a brush small enough and eyes sharp enough to do that work. I want to try it, but I know my macro shots will reveal some ugly work.

Well you learn something new everyday... Like the great big hole on the crotch of Gibson's leather pants 🧐

I may take a scissors to the dolls pants now:giggle:

View attachment 654136View attachment 654133View attachment 654134

Don't be too fast to cut that hole. I noticed it too on my multi-marathon the last two days -- it looks like that metal doohickey at the top of the leg brace rubbed against that area and ripped a hole. It never appears anywhere else, and in fact in one shot (I forget now where) you can see where they might have repaired the leather.

I was trying to stay out of this thread because I did not want to like the sculpt on this one. Trying to restrain myself from another purchase. All the talk about the mismatched color helped. Well, in the end I failed. Ended up purchasing both sculpts. Really glad I did because other than going to custom route they do the trick. I know there are people on here with a more discerning eye that will spot the inaccuracies, but even without the work it's Mad Max.

Making the eyes pop like that with the blue really helps sell Mel.

I don't know how the hell you got a brush small enough and eyes sharp enough to do that work. I want to try it, but I know my macro shots will reveal some ugly work.
I use head magnified goggles and small detail brushes to paint eyes.

Don't be too fast to cut that hole. I noticed it too on my multi-marathon the last two days -- it looks like that metal doohickey at the top of the leg brace rubbed against that area and ripped a hole. It never appears anywhere else, and in fact in one shot (I forget now where) you can see where they might have repaired the leather.
I only meant cutting a hole in jest. But if the pleather ever did crack or tear around the crotch it won't bother me so much:giggle:

I use head magnified goggles and small detail brushes to paint eyes.

I have the same -- 40 year old virgin goggles. :) But still, its so hard to do irises right. And my eyes get all blurry after working with those things.

You did great work on those eyes. I'll give it a go on the one-eyed sculpt -- not going to push my luck at matching two eyes. :lol

Outstanding work there matrix69! Please can I ask what you used to weather the outfit? Was it drybrushed acrylic paint?

You guys are taking your Max figures to the next level. Incredible work going on in these posts.

Matrix69 magnificent work on the weathering on the clothing and detailing of the head.

I chose to repaint both heads because I really did not like the base greenish/yellow zombie color that Dark Toys gave to their Max HS and since in did not match the body color either took the "easy way out" and repaint everything. also made a new undershirt from a nice texture cloth that once tinted looks very nice the used/abused part, working on the jacket & pants weathering right now and fabricating a new metal leg brace.

Must say I am enjoying this two figure projects of Max...both using Dark Toys HS, even as they require quite some work and fabrication the fact that at least a good starting base is available now and also is quite affordable compared to other brands figures prices make the work more enjoyable, my very personal opinion of course.

Great work, matrix!

Here's a few stills of the holster.

I'm guessing that the top leg strap is what caused the tear around the pants crotch:unsure:

View attachment 654391View attachment 654392View attachment 654393

He actually has two different holsters in the movie -- the one in the opening scene is a completely different holster -- longer, hangs lower, stays open and has no rivets. Not sure why they made a different one for the beginning, maybe because he had to continually draw and holster his shotgun. The smaller version you're making is nearly impossible for Mel to holster his weapon throughout the movie, but it looks better and is the one all cosplayers build.

I'm going to have to get this as I need a Mel Max and this seems the best out of the three we got.

Congrats to all for the mods.
Inspiring work.

I started modifying, swapping parts, bodies between present toys and dark toys.

First is dark toys, original body.
As we know the head is slightly too big, I thickened the neck and it helps a lot.
Being a smaller figure, I swapped the Google, the belts tools, the gun, the knee pad, the leather boots from the present toys figure Wich are smaller and look better proportion wise.
The holster was too big, so I unstitched it and folded/glued it and it works better.
I had the mod the leg brace to fit the leather premier toys boots as it was sculpted on the dark toys boots.
cut it from the boot, remade the front metal part over the boots with plastic card, painted silver, used elastic strip to have tight to the leg.
Overall looks good but the head still a tad too big Wich is a shame as the body looks very close to Gibson's physique.
I will probably not keep this one as I don't trust at all the pleather. It's way too thin.

https://cdn.imagearchive.com/sideshowcollectors/data/attach/463/463033-JointPics-20230807-143546.JPG

Then the premier toys,
The leather (the smell and the reverse side leaves no doubt it's leather now it might be bad quality but still lol) being thicker it's the one I will keep.

I used a ttm20, the proportion work much better with the head, it has long feet peg for now but I will probably change that, I will shave the sides of the body to have the arms closer to the body to avoid the body builder posing lol.
He's more stylized, heroic than the actual max but that the way I like it.

Shoulder pad is glued on jacket, I will restitch the arms to have them less baggy.
I used the gun, belt accessories, knee pad, boots (leg brace boot was cut, sanded to fit the brace) from dark toys. Being bigger they fit better the body.

The leg brace is from present toys, had to the part that goes under the boots has it was to tight to fit the dark toys boots. Plastic card cut painted silver. And again some elastic strap to have the metal part stick tight to the top of the boot (was going to glue it but at least now it's not definitive and can still be modded if needed).

https://cdn.imagearchive.com/sideshowcollectors/data/attach/463/463034-IMG-20230807-134038.jpg
I'm overall satisfied with both but I will keep my premier toy version, unless some smaller ko head is available then might keep both.

Now to retouch the paint and weather the outfits, hope to not screw it up lol.

Attachments

• JointPics_20230807_143546.JPG
    JointPics_20230807_143546.JPG
    839.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230807_134038.jpg
    10.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
THought I hadn't ordrred the Dark Toys Max, but it turns out I have (just got notice). So I may have an extra Max altho I still haven't tried moving the Present sculpt (which I prefer) to a shorter body.

Back