1/6 DARK TOYS DTM005 Collectible Figure MAX DX

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GREAT!!!

Now I have two questions:

1) Are there really only TWO right hands and nothing else?

2) Where do you "hook" the binoculars? I have a little silver ring and a little black "hook" on that ring on the binocs, but where does that little black hook go?

Thanks for any help!
There are three right hands included, open, trigger and grip. But strangely only one left hand.

The Binoculars can be hooked onto a tiny ring on the belt.

DSC_0265.JPG

Thank you, thank you!

Sorry, two more questions please:

3) Is the left jacket lapel stitched down?

4) Is there any magnet on this figure? The gun butt loop on the holster also feels "stitched" in place.

Thank you, thank you!

Sorry, two more questions please:

3) Is the left jacket lapel stitched down?
Yes it's stitched in place. Going from the promo pics i think the shoulder strap is suppose to run down the inside of the lapel to stop it from sliding off.

4) Is there any magnet on this figure? The gun butt loop on the holster also feels "stitched" in place.
There are no magnets that i can see of, and yes that loop on the holster is stitched in place.

Matrix, what is that on your left jacket lapel? It looks like a stud, but isn't in any other pictures.
I haven't got a clue what that is/was, but thankfully it's gone now:giggle:

Thanks, man! Really appreciate the assists.

Definitely a good idea to stitch that lapel to hold the belt strap in place. There's so thinking going on with this piece.

Overall, I'm really liking this figure. It's a relief after so many years to finally have a complete Max before me. I have a ton of parts I've collected over many years -- now we'll see what exactly I can upgrade and what remains of this Dark Toys. I have a feeling though much of my "bits" are from a different time and may not be as good.

No time to futz yet but some quick pictures fresh from the box, just a hand and head swap.

COMP 2.jpg

I do like the figure, and I see lots of possibilities with it. A bit like Wez -- needs some tender lovin' care but you will end up with a great figure.

The head rides a bit low on the insert plug -- stuffing a bit of paper under the plug or simply lifting the head up a bit on the neck helps.

I don't like the ONE LEFT OPEN HAND. Great sculpt but not much I can do with it.

This is a figure that needs to be filthy to really look like Max. I also believe the BD head has the better likeness, and I want to add the bandages to the arm for character. I always remember that shot near the end when Max is steadying himself up against the truck; bloody, beaten, but the trick worked.

And that was the last time we ever saw him again...

Wor-Gar, I'm interested in seeing what parts you will be updating or swapping out with parts that you had previously picked up.

Yeah, I am too. I have to dig out that box and see what I got. I know I have Mr E's boots, but I'm not sure if I can get the leg brace to work with them. That might be the problem with many of the parts.

Wor, at least in the photos his head looks too big. I want to pick up the coming recast hs(lol) I hope the underscale it 5-10%

Yeah, the head does look big in my photos. It's odd, because it doesn't look too bad in hand. Like the InArt Joker, the head looks good -- but in photos, something happens. The odd change in color doesn't help -- my pictures look like I photoshopped a too-large-head onto that Max.

The neck on the body is also thrust forward, pushing the head forward, so that also contributes to the size -- closer-to-lens issue.

It's been a pain to try and find a body for mine that matches the headsculpt colour. I''m actually considering painting the arm and neck of the stock body to match the colour of the head.

It's been a pain to try and find a body for mine that matches the headsculpt colour. I''m actually considering painting the arm and neck of the stock body to match the colour of the head.

If you can paint the arm and body, then you can change the color of the face. Just use some dark brown acrylic and water it down heavily, then do a paint wash on Max's face. Let the head dry and see how much it has changed. It may not be noticeable at first. Keep doing washes until it dries the color you want. Go slow. Don't make the paint too thick. You are staining the factory paint. If you are uncertain, then practice with the head you don't want to use.

I'll be doing the same. While I await a proper KO head from that Deckard source.

If you can paint the arm and body, then you can change the color of the face. Just use some dark brown acrylic and water it down heavily, then do a paint wash on Max's face. Let the head dry and see how much it has changed. It may not be noticeable at first. Keep doing washes until it dries the color you want. Go slow. Don't make the paint too thick. You are staining the factory paint. If you are uncertain, then practice with the head you don't want to use.

I'll be doing the same. While I await a proper KO head from that Deckard source.
Yeah chances are I may end up painting the headsculpt too, want to make his skin look a bit more weathered. I usually try and build up the layers of paint with shading and drybrushing, either way, it won't be a rush job, as I want to weather the whole outfit, similar to K.Bowen's work from a few pages back. With a bit of work, I think this is going to be a fantastic looking Max figure.

Attaching the shoulder piece and exposing more of the chest area alleviates the elusion of the head looking too big.

Excellent. I'll be giving that a try of course. Like I said, in hand it doesn't look too big, but in photos it strangely can.

I have so many figures to finish, but I think I'll fast-track Max to front of the line because I've been waiting for him for sooooooooooooooooo long. My wife leaves for a 2-day trip next week so that should be just about enough time to really focus.

I've got the replacement body and the two Dark Toys head sculpts to select from and update my Premier Toys Max.

Can anyone advise of what parts from the Dark Toys set can be used as updates to the Premier set? Thanks!

I got my Dark Toys Max today, almost a month in "transit".
My take on the figure, it have a lot of potential, sadly the pleather is very thin and probably will suffer the "thanos dust effect" down the road, on a positive side note, when that time comes the thin cloth backing material have a very small pattern weaving, so I think it could be painted (have done it before) and since the character clothing have a LOT of wear and weathering it will help a lot in the final look and hide the "leather look restoration" .

About the heads, in my very personal opinion, both heads are exactly the same base head and size, the difference is that the original/recasted one used for this figure was the "battle damage/swollen eye" one, then a copy was modified to "restore" the normal eye, and think there is the little problem in likeness, if you look closely to that eye area in the normal head, you will see that the eye/socket area is a little smaller in the structure details compared to the other eye area, and that is in my very personal opinion what throws off a little the normal sculpt in likeness, think with a little attention to that area the sculpt could look even better.

Think the boots look great and with some paint detailing and weathering they will look even better, the some goes for the leg brace, even as is plastic and have no weathering, it looks more to "scale" and close to the leg than the other brands used on their Max figures.

The shotgun holster is way to big, a smaller one have to be made, the axe pouch is a molded plastic piece that also will have to be made and add the actual metal axe as additional detail.

The red cloth band attach to the jacket sleeve is wayyyy to big and stiff and need to be replaced but that is an easy fix.

The dog looks good, but think is a little to big compared to the size as seen in the movie, also it will benefit from a little extra paint detail on the colors of the body hair. The Dog food can also looks a little big, but looks nice and with some judicious weathering will play the part.

Shotgun detail is pretty good, even as its saw off handle/grip area shape is a little off, the fact that have a "prototypical correct" barrel/cartridge functional opening lever and the cartridges can be put on each barrel is a very nice detail. The shotgun will benefit A LOT in a repaint and weathering to bring the detail out.

I will be using the clothing of the "real leather" Max offering (keep forgetting the brand) and will make a new leg brace in metal among other things, will use the head from Dark Toys, probably a repainted battle damage one, the shootgun and dog. The Dark Toys clothing and regular head will use as a starting base for my Mad Max Thunderdome version.

My final thoughts on the Dark Toys figure, could have been much better if the head and hands paint app match to the body in color tones, if a better and more durable material was used for the clothing..but I understand of course would affect final cost of the figure, so for what I paid think I am happy and have two Mad Max "mix and match" projects in the work bench and not breaking the hobby fund bank to boot!!!...so I am happy.

Back