【Avengers: Infinity War -1/6th scale Doctor Strange Collectible Figure】

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 【Avengers: Infinity War -1/6th scale Doctor Strange Collectible Figure】

Justin's Collection on YouTube added his comparison video of the original Doctor Strange with the new IW version today.

As usual, a great comparison video.

I'm really surprised they re-did the sculpt anyway; they could've pulled a Deadpool 2 and everyone would've been happy. In that 3/4 view the new sculpt looks like an oddly shaped human head. I hadn't seen that 3/4 view before and the old one looks much, much better at that angle. Cumberbatch looks 20 pounds heavier in the new one.

I still think they were working on a Ragnarok version as this scuplt is 100% that look and just decided to use it for this release to make it look different enough from the 1st. The box art is the V1 headscuplt and his hair in IW looks like V1 97% of the time.

I never liked the 1st sculpt anyway. It reminds me of the first Star-Lord or MOS Superman.

I never liked the 1st sculpt anyway. It reminds me of the first Star-Lord or MOS Superman.

Do you have the 1st? It's one of Hot Toys more solid scuplts and the new one is basically the same. It's not even in the same universe as the 1st Star-Lord. I cannot say anything about MOS as i don't own it.

Do you have the 1st? It's one of Hot Toys more solid scuplts and the new one is basically the same. It's not even in the same universe as the 1st Star-Lord. I cannot say anything about MOS as i don't own it.

Agree, first one still holds up very strongly
c01ebb8b3a9afd6f62574efee27464be.jpg

I think the second sculpt looks more mature. Which fits imo.

Both are good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For all the grief everyone gave me about my complaints regarding another certain bulbous nose release, you guys are definitely overreacting to the Strange 2.0 sculpt. It's as if you guys are purposely trying to find something to complain about...and that's coming from ME! [emoji38]
Gonna have to 100% agree with gmoney on this one. I mean you saw him on the Cap thread and even he doesn't see a problem with this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gonna have to 100% agree with gmoney on this one. I mean you saw him on the Cap thread and even he doesn't see a problem with this.

Haha thanks bud. Yeah, I've got no issues with DS 2.0. In fact I own the first DS and have 2.0 on pre-order because I think the newer headsculpt is even better! But I think that just boils down to my preference for the slicked hairstyle.

Anyways from what I've been reading everyone seems to just be nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. It's as if you guys feel the need to scrutinize because if you didn't then you wouldn't have something to complain about. I see stuff regarding his nose tip and the paint app on the facial hair...like really? On a macro level this is essentially the same head sculpt as 1.0...the only major difference is the hairstyle.

I recall months ago people were all saying how they would be elated if HT ever did a 2.0 so they wouldn't have to pay the crazy secondary market pricing...and now that HT is actually releasing the 2.0 there is a sudden shift in the conversation and sentiment from being grateful for having another chance at picking up DS at retail price to just straight-up petty criticism at the most insignificant of details.

People gave me a hard time for IW Cap and I'll admit I may have been overly excessive in voicing my opinion/disdain, but at least IW Cap was a truly divisive figure. It wasn't just a minority of naysayers complaining the sculpt was off...rather it was a substantial amount. In fact, most video reviews I've seen no one really praised the sculpt as being spot-on or perfect. They all said..."well depending on certain angles or lighting it looks like Evans"...but not one single person acknowledged it as a "home run" or a "10/10"...because it wasn't.

Now in regards to DS 2.0, there really is no glaring, standout issue. You guys finally got your cake, but you wanna complain about eating it. There's never any winning with you people...always something to be upset about.

An example, see below...

I think the sculpt on this figure is straight up bad. I think the original sculpts likeness is far superior and I don't think that one is perfect either (I wish it had a better paint up and better hair). The paint app is obviously better on the new one but the whole facial structure is wrong. The nose, the jaw, the eyes and the eyebrows.

I wish hot toys did better because I really want to justify a purchase for him.

:panic:

I can say this sculpt is objectively not "straight up bad."

Like seriously people, if you're gonna complain at least complain about something legitimate otherwise you just come off as petty whiners! :slap

Couldn't have said it better myself haha. I mean I get it though. Some collectors will purposely trash a figure because they want to convince themselves that it isn't worth buying when deep down they probably want it. Went through the same with the new WW concept version. I was originally in denial that it looked good to me simply because I already had the older figure and wanted to talk myself out if it but ultimately I had to bite. I mean unless you have an endless supply of money this hobby can be rough sometimes. First world problems amirite?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yup, some collectors here have some sort of inferiority complex when a new figure comes out. They have to defend the one they have and trash the new one.

Couldn't have said it better myself haha. I mean I get it though. Some collectors will purposely trash a figure because they want to convince themselves that it isn't worth buying when deep down they probably want it. Went through the same with the new WW concept version. I was originally in denial that it looked good to me simply because I already had the older figure and wanted to talk myself out if it but ultimately I had to bite. I mean unless you have an endless supply of money this hobby can be rough sometimes. First world problems amirite?

This is indeed first-world problems at its finest haha. :hi5:

This is indeed first-world problems at its finest haha. :hi5:

Honestly i think most of the complaints were just to mess with you :lol

This is one of those figures that 95% of the people would not be able tell any difference besides the hair and the other 5% would not even notice that. To me it is just a rerelease with slightly different HS and a couple barely noticeable paint changes on his arms.

I don't have the old but definitely prefer it to what I've seen so far.

Justin's Collection on YouTube added his comparison video of the original Doctor Strange with the new IW version today.

As usual, a great comparison video.

Thanks for sharing the video!

After watching the video, I can tell that I personally prefer the head sculpt of the first release. I noticed that Benedict Cumberbatch's face on the second release is slightly wider compared to the first release. I know that he has a narrower and longer face in real life but I don't see any issues with either release because it seems that his face (in real life) can look slightly different depending on which picture you look at. It's probably due to the perspective and different types of camera lenses used to take the pictures.

I'm glad I have the first release but I think this new release is still a solid release. It's definitely a good buy for those who missed out on the first one.

I don't have either figure but if you put both in front of me now (brand new and sealed at retail price) I'd take the first without question. To my eyes it's just a better sculpt with a more accurate likeness. However, that's clearly not an option (no sign of v1 prices dropping - particularly 'new') and the IW figure is decent enough to satisfy my BC / Dr Strange needs.

^ In this figure's defense it had a really nice looking proto, but something was lost on the way to mp.
PD1526632688jj0.jpg

Haha thanks bud. Yeah, I've got no issues with DS 2.0. In fact I own the first DS and have 2.0 on pre-order because I think the newer headsculpt is even better! But I think that just boils down to my preference for the slicked hairstyle.

Anyways from what I've been reading everyone seems to just be nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. It's as if you guys feel the need to scrutinize because if you didn't then you wouldn't have something to complain about. I see stuff regarding his nose tip and the paint app on the facial hair...like really? On a macro level this is essentially the same head sculpt as 1.0...the only major difference is the hairstyle.

I recall months ago people were all saying how they would be elated if HT ever did a 2.0 so they wouldn't have to pay the crazy secondary market pricing...and now that HT is actually releasing the 2.0 there is a sudden shift in the conversation and sentiment from being grateful for having another chance at picking up DS at retail price to just straight-up petty criticism at the most insignificant of details.

People gave me a hard time for IW Cap and I'll admit I may have been overly excessive in voicing my opinion/disdain, but at least IW Cap was a truly divisive figure. It wasn't just a minority of naysayers complaining the sculpt was off...rather it was a substantial amount. In fact, most video reviews I've seen no one really praised the sculpt as being spot-on or perfect. They all said..."well depending on certain angles or lighting it looks like Evans"...but not one single person acknowledged it as a "home run" or a "10/10"...because it wasn't.

Now in regards to DS 2.0, there really is no glaring, standout issue. You guys finally got your cake, but you wanna complain about eating it. There's never any winning with you people...always something to be upset about.

An example, see below...

:panic:

I can say this sculpt is objectively not "straight up bad."

Like seriously people, if you're gonna complain at least complain about something legitimate otherwise you just come off as petty whiners! :slap
I dont know how you can look at this photo and think the new sculpt isnt seriously flawed. Its not preference or nit picking.

If you want to defend the prototype, that's a different story. But the final product is just wrong.

eb9920c46e804ece1d888e78acf20fa9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Some seriously ridiculous comments being tossed around here. There is clearly no objectively better product here, as anyone can tell from the preferences people have expressed for each figure.

Hot Toys is rapidly approaching a place where they can't make massive improvements in each iteration of a character whose look doesn't change very much. So, they have to make choices about how to differentiate the figures. Some will like those choices, but others won't.

Some seriously ridiculous comments being tossed around here. There is clearly no objectively better product here, as anyone can tell from the preferences people have expressed for each figure.

Hot Toys is rapidly approaching a place where they can't make massive improvements in each iteration of a character whose look doesn't change very much. So, they have to make choices about how to differentiate the figures. Some will like those choices, but others won't.

Well, that is pretty much how the forum works... whether the comments are "ridiculous" or not is in the eyes of each individual.

I decided that I am going to get a parted out headsculpt and the sword and larger magic effect for my original Dr. Strange.
Will see how the headsculpt looks in-hand and decide from there which one I want to display.
Something did change from the prototype picture above to the final product. That is 100% true.

I will say after seeing Justin's comparison video, the main outfit and cape seem superior on the original that I already own.
Body and articulation is the same, effects are some reused... some new.
The original eye and necklace are better painted on the original.
It's all just little things, so if you don't have a Dr. Strange this new one is pretty good.

For me though, I don't need two Dr. Strange figures in the collection and the new one doesn't warrant a full new purchase.

Back