‘Dark Council’ - The Theoden and Grima Wormtongue Polystone Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sigh. Another Dio announcement, more likeness trashing, and every single time we get these in person we say how great they look compared to the SS photos. I'll bet that when we see the whole piece, complete with Rohan banners in the background, alot more people will like it.
Not a dio I would have chosen, but then they can't release all the big guns first and let the quality go down.
So far I'm a dio completist and I like the whole 'Rohan falling under Saruman's spell' portrayed in statue form thing, but we'll see when the whole thing's shown.

More likeness trashing :confused: I don't recall very many people trashing the likeness of any of the other dio.'s, but I think that's perhaps because the likenesses [until now that is] have been generally quite good. Trevor did an amazing job with Frodo and Gollum. Aragorn's likeness, while certainly not as good as the PF, is still one of the better one's available, and Gandalf and Saruman turned out really well also.
I think it's fair to say the likeness of these two is a major disappointment compared to what we've seen in the past and I'm sure that will be reflected in the eventual ES.

There wasn't a lot of likeness trashing with Aragorn that I remember--it was a lot more criticism of the choice of expression. It looked like Aragorn, but a bland and passive and emotionless Aragorn. (Although as is usual, in hand reports were laregly positive.)

I am not overwhelmed by the preview image, but of course I don't want to form too strong an opinion based upon a preview image.

There wasn't a lot of likeness trashing with Aragorn that I remember--it was a lot more criticism of the choice of expression. It looked like Aragorn, but a bland and passive and emotionless Aragorn. (Although as is usual, in hand reports were laregly positive.)

I am not overwhelmed by the preview image, but of course I don't want to form too strong an opinion based upon a preview image.

Very true, that has always been my biggest complaint about this dio., but there certainly weren't alot of complaints about the likeness. Nor have there been many for any of the other dio.'s which is why I'm confused by the "more likeness trashing " comment. I think bye and large people have been very positive towards SS's dio. line, and will continue to do so, but IMO this one just isn't in the same ballpark as the rest of them.

I have purchased each of the other dioramas but am not excited about this one in the least.

I think Theoden looks really good but Grima is kinda freaky lookin. Interesing choice of scene. It's not something I would expect but I'm kinda digging it. However, I cancelled the Gandalf vs Saruman since I don't do the vs line and I'll be selling the first two some time in the near future.

Lol ok then, maybe I meant to refer to the pose trashing. I've just read so much likeness trashing on other SS offerings I get confused what's been slagged off and for what reason! :D

i'll be passing on this one, i'll rather buy the saruman and gandalf dio........but if i had a choice we need the gandalf and balrog dio.

I'm sure this one will eventually be done. It was after all the #1 choice [by a landslide] in SS's poll from a few month's ago. I don't even think a "Dark Council" dio. was one of the options.

This dio inclusive with Theoden's throne, would be very tempting.
I quite like the look of Theoden, maybe the eyes could be adjusted alittle. Grima on the other hand just looks flat. Needs to get abit more greased up maybe.

I like the idea, even though the sculpt isn't 100%.
And with some Rohan environment, I think it will be a cool addition to the collection if I pick it up. And it's not like I'm going to seeing it in extreme closeup like those pictures

Regardless if people like this choice or not, the final product will be excellent if sideshow follows suite with the previous releases in this line. :lecture

If the sculpts are off, nothing is going to save this dio. The reason the other dio's are so highly regarded is because the characters look like they're supposed to.

If the sculpts are off, nothing is going to save this dio. The reason the other dio's are so highly regarded is because the characters look like they're supposed to.

I think the base will have alot of say in that. If this thing has all of Theodens throne, and some Rohan banners hanging from the wall behind, that might look impressive. Personally the sculpts don't distract me, plus I'm sure the product in hand will look much better, as usual.

Back