‘Dark Council’ - The Theoden and Grima Wormtongue Polystone Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The likenesses aren't that great.

That being said I think the dio line is overtaking the 1:6 line. :banghead

and to me the Grima sculpt is the worse of the two. and there is a down syndrome like look to Theoden.

i'll have to see the whole thing, but first impression is that this turd will be about as desirable as the crack dio

i'll have to see the whole thing, but first impression is that this turd will be about as desirable as the crack dio

The COD is a very underrated dio. that was hurt by the small size and the large ES. Trevor's sculpts were fantastic, which is alot more than I can say about the Grima and Theoden sculpts.

Interesting - I think the Crack of Doom was ~tied with the other two
released dioramas in the recent favorite diorama poll here.

I have the COD and the Aragorn dio at Helm's Deep. Impressed with that one, but this one I don't feel the love at all.

This will be a pass for now, until I see more pics.

The COD dio is really quite nice. Despite it being small (to keep the scale correct) it really came out amazing. Trev's work on this piece shows the talent being able to get the likenesses at something this size.

To be honest, I don't have a huge problem with the sculpts. They may not be "exact" but I don't think they are terrible at all. I think the piece will look impressive because of the two characters being centered on the throne. (no banana peel slip on this one! :D)

What I'm not excited about is the actual scene portrayed. Though I loved the scene in the film, it's not one that I would have initially selected to immortalize as a statue. Plus, the scene was powerful because of the inclusion of Gandalf (as well as Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli walking and fighting behind him.)

This is not the way I would want to have Theoden displayed. Just as I wouldn't want to see him "broken" under his horse in Pellenor fields...

I'm a fan of non-fighting statues as well so why not instead:

-Theoden on steed holding up sword "Death! Forth Eorlingas!"

-Theoden and Gamling standing at Helm's Deep, before the battle.

And other characters:

-Sam carrying Frodo at Mt. Doom
-The four hobbits at Elessar's coronation
-The four hobbits saying goodbye at the Grey Havens
-The Fellowship cresting that hill
-Frodo, Sam and Gollum climbing the stairs at Minas Morgul.
-Bilbo or Frodo at Bag Ends at their desk writing their "books".
-Entmoot
-Treebeard carrying Pip & Merry.
-Aragorn holding mortally wounded Boromir.

The COD dio is really quite nice. Despite it being small (to keep the scale correct) it really came out amazing. Trev's work on this piece shows the talent being able to get the likenesses at something this size.

The likenesses of Gollum and Frodo, especially in that size, was very good. The thing I didn't like about the COD is the "total" size. They should have included way more of the surroundings. We all had our hopes up for the whole diorama line, having the Marvel diorama's in mind, and they came up with that? :(

This one looks much better "surrounding-wise", but as far as we can see now, the likeness of both figures isn't that great in my opinion. I love how they decided to make that scene into a diorama, tho. I think it is a very original idea.

This is what's wrong with the likeness of Grima, I think:
comparison.jpg

Yeah, I would have liked more to the COD dio for sure but while it make take away some from the piece I'm happy with it overall. Though, if it had more you're right this line would be hard to beat in anyway.

I am curious to see with this piece how big it will be compared to the GTG vs Saruman dio which is freaking massive.

The COD piece had excellent sculpting but I agree that the tiny base took away much of the "drama" of the piece. If the cliff face had been extended simply another "6" inches or so, it would have added to the visual impact of the piece portraying that "cliff-hanging" scene.

The COD piece had excellent sculpting but I agree that the tiny base took away much of the "drama" of the piece. If the cliff face had been extended simply another "6" inches or so, it would have added to the visual impact of the piece portraying that "cliff-hanging" scene.

Exactly! :cool:

Sigh. Another Dio announcement, more likeness trashing, and every single time we get these in person we say how great they look compared to the SS photos. I'll bet that when we see the whole piece, complete with Rohan banners in the background, alot more people will like it.
Not a dio I would have chosen, but then they can't release all the big guns first and let the quality go down.
So far I'm a dio completist and I like the whole 'Rohan falling under Saruman's spell' portrayed in statue form thing, but we'll see when the whole thing's shown.

I'll be curious to see what it looks like @ SDCC but unless that wows me I don't plan on order this at all.

I just hope SS don't go down the line of more obscure moments. Obviously they're fine here and there, as this one is, but I hope they don't keep ignoring the opinions of their collectors....give me a Treebeard with Merry and Pippin, a chamber of Marzubul fight, Balrog vs Gandalf, Fellowship at the gates of Moria! I'm looking forward to some real iconic moments, and I can't imagine for one second that SS will pass them up.

That said I still want Tom Bombadil singing :D

Back