Fantastic Four reboot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True. The studio is the important thing. Not the director or the cast. Clearly this is following in the tradition of other Fox films like The Empire Strikes Back and ALIEN.
Way to miss the point.

Most of the people who bash whatever FOX/Sony are doing in the superhero cinema-verse are Marvel Studios fanboys. Not fans of whatever new director is making a Marvel Studios film, or whoever is playing a new character, but fans of the studio itself. So, of course I would compare the studios.

But if we were to judge by cast and director, so far there's a talented cast and from what I can see on IMDB the director has one movie under his belt, and it was considered a good film...and was also about people with super powers. :huh

It seems like FOX has a game plan that started with First class, and was greatly expanded on in DoFP. After the success that Marvel Studios has had, I think FOX is taking their superhero films a bit more seriously with the idea of a connected universe down the road.

As a comic book fan I like the films based on comic books to be based on comic books. Often these directors think their vision is far superior to comic book themes that have endured decades. The reason they have lasted with such popularity is that they have primal, basic themes that appeal to large amounts of people. Marvel maintains a level of respect for the source material that Fox and Sony do not. Fox has made four good films, and I don't think anything Marvel Studios has done has been as bad as X3, Origins:Wolverine, FF, FF2, Daredevil, Elektra which they co-produced so I am not at all overwhelmed with positive expectations. I do not find the X-Men films to be fabulous and I think they take themselves a little too seriously. With the exception of Hulk I find the Marvel films to be much more enjoyable and fun. Escapism which, to me, is what these films should be.

As a comic book fan I like the films based on comic books to be based on comic books. Often these directors think their vision is far superior to comic book themes that have endured decades. The reason they have lasted with such popularity is that they have primal, basic themes that appeal to large amounts of people. Marvel maintains a level of respect for the source material that Fox and Sony do not. Fox has made four good films, and I don't think anything Marvel Studios has done has been as bad as X3, Origins:Wolverine, FF, FF2, Daredevil, Elektra which they co-produced so I am not at all overwhelmed with positive expectations. I do not find the X-Men films to be fabulous and I think they take themselves a little too seriously. With the exception of Hulk I find the Marvel films to be much more enjoyable and fun. Escapism which, to me, is what these films should be.

Yea the only thing is that the people making these films never read comic books. I bet most of the people running the studios and green lighting these films have never picked one up. The guys directing these, for the most part have never read the books either. I think Joss Weadon is one of the first to be a self confessed comic lover that actually got to make one of these films. Most of these guys don't read the comics until after they have made a film or two in the franchise. The only person I know that makes these films with the fans in mind is Joss Weadon. Nolan never heard of Bane before Goyer brought the character to the table for Rises. Even guys that are calling the shots still manage to mess big characters, such as the Mandarian in IM3.

https://geektyrant.com/news/michael-b-jordan-discusses-fantastic-four-development
"We’re more or less a bunch of kids that had an accident ..."

So its basically Chronicle 2. So this is going to have virtually nothing to do with the source material. Another chance to take a classic and give it a voice on screen and a director who pisses all over it and thinks he knows better. I hope this thing flops so bad it makes Heavens Gate look like a giant success.

Published July 19, 2014 by Devin Faraci
FANTASTIC FOUR Actors Cause Internet Uproar With Misunderstood Quotes

The internet freaks out when Kate Mara says FANTASTIC FOUR isn't based on any comics.

https://badassdigest.com/2014/07/19/fantastic-four-actors-cause-internet-uproar-with-misunderstood-quotes/

Quick, on which comic storyline is Captain America: The First Avenger based? You can point to elements from Captain America Comics #1 that appear in the film, very specifically in the Cap origin sequence, and you can certainly see the influence of some comic book storylines on the film, but in general it's not really based on any one comic. Neither is Thor: The Dark World. Or The Avengers. Or The Dark Knight. They pull elements from the comics, but they're not real translations of any one comic story; even Captain America: The Winter Soldier plays very fast and quite loose with the famous story from which it draws its name.

I mention this because there has been an uproar about some comments made by the Fantastic Four cast this week, especially Kate Mara, who said:

I’ve never been a fan of comics, I’ve never actually read one. I was going to for this movie but the director said it wasn’t necessary. Well, actually he told us that we shouldn’t do it because the plot won’t be based on any history of anything already published.

Which sent off alarm bells across fandom because a lot of people expect to be pandered to in these situations. They expect the actors and filmmakers to be able to point to a specific storyline or run and say "This is what we're doing," even though it almost never is. Here's the thing about Mara's quote: you could apply it to almost any superhero movie released. Hell, I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy and while I could tell you exactly what run influenced it, the film isn't adapting any single story whatsoever. If there's no one to one storyline you're using why send your non-comic reading female lead down a rabbit hole of different iterations and versions of these characters, who have morphed and changed over five decades?

I don't know much about the latest drafts of the script, but I can tell you that previous drafts prove the concerns that this movie isn't drawing from any Fantastic Four storyline wrong. Earlier drafts had many elements that will be familiar to readers of the first Ultimate Fantastic Four arc, which in broad strokes is a nice update of a very space age comic concept. The idea of Reed and friends stealing a rocket for a joyride seems weird now; creating a dimensional portal feels way more correct. And all the school stuff - the Baxter Building as a high-level science genius academy - works nicely as well. These have been elements present in previous drafts of the script.

Meanwhile Michael B. Jordan said stuff that also upset people, especially those who maybe never read Fantastic Four. He said:

It’s not your typical superhero film, you know, we aren’t looking at this as like, being superheroes. We’re more or less a bunch of kids that had an accident and we have disabilities now that we have to cope with, and try to find a life afterwards – try to be as normal as we can.

That's a different spin than Stan Lee and Jack Kirby had... sort of. He's certainly describing The Thing to a tee here. And you know what? The Fantastic Four are not superheroes in the modern conventional cinematic sense. They're science adventurers, explorers and an occasional defense system against the truly weird and bizarre and malevolent. They don't fight crime, they get tangled up in interdimensional wars. Their main enemy is the ruler of a foreign nation. They don't fit the superhero mold as we know it from movies, and the fact that director Josh Trank gets that is good. I honestly don't know how any serious reader of Fantastic Four can look at this next quote and not feel ecstatic:

One of the good things about the Fantastic Four is that everybody is different. And it’s like, sometimes family doesn’t always consist of your relatives or by blood. Sometimes your best friends can feel more like family than your cousins. I think everybody kind of has that same feeling. When you go through an accident together, when you go through a traumatic event, sometimes that brings you closer together.

That is Stan and Jack's vision for Fantastic Four in a nutshell - this unconventional family brought together by strange circumstance. I love that this is the angle. How can you be a fan of the property and not feel good about this?

Will Josh Trank's Fantastic Four be any good? Beats me. But it sounds like he's making a science fiction movie centered around the concept of family, which is what this adaptation should be.

I hope this movie fails miserably

:goodpost: t2445.gif

This thread is starting to resemble the DOFP thread from a few months ago :slap

I have faith that this movie will be at least be better than 70% of Marvel Studios’ films, and 100% better than what Sony is producing these days.

Might be true...but ANYTHING can top ASM2.......:rotfl

...there has been an uproar about some comments made by the Fantastic Four cast this week, especially Kate Mara, who said:

I’ve never been a fan of comics, I’ve never actually read one. I was going to for this movie but the director said it wasn’t necessary

A strange thing for her to say considering Iron Man 2 opened the door to her career.

A strange thing for her to say considering Iron Man 2 opened the door to her career.

True, but in th is case she's probably better off if they're going in a totally opposite direction with this.

My theory is, it will probably end up being a well written, directed, and acted movie that makes people wonder, why not just develop your own concept and run with it, rather than borrow a name and just do whatever.

True, but in th is case she's probably better off if they're going in a totally opposite direction with this.

My theory is, it will probably end up being a well written, directed, and acted movie that makes people wonder, why not just develop your own concept and run with it, rather than borrow a name and just do whatever.

Pretty much this. It feels like it's going to be more Chronicle 2 than Fantastic Four. And I loved Chronicle. I want to see a sequel to it. But I don't want Fantastic Four to be that.

Back