The Amazing Spider Man 2 (2014)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't a fan of the first movie. Loved the original Spiderman 2 and hated spiderman 3. I really wanted this to be good, but with cinema prices being really expensive and this being compared to spiderman 3, think I will skip this altogether. If Garfield was around when the original films were around they would have been gold but these movies are way too Sappy and cheesey for me with Marc Webb as director. He is no Sam Raimi.

Wasn't a fan of the first movie. Loved the original Spiderman 2 and hated spiderman 3. I really wanted this to be good, but with cinema prices being really expensive and this being compared to spiderman 3, think I will skip this altogether. If Garfield was around when the original films were around they would have been gold but these movies are way too Sappy and cheesey for me with Marc Webb as director. He is no Sam Raimi.

If you hated the first ASM, i don't think you will like this either. But these are definitely not as cheesy as the Raimi pics IMO. I love Raimi outside of Spiderman. I just thought his theatrical "removed from reality" style was wrong for the street based web slinger. The flat painted sets and lighting alone irked me in Raimi's pics. It was like a heightened reality broadway show.

This new ASM has real human emotion, and while it flounders on some silly stuff, the performances are top notch overall and keep you involved. There is real peril here. Sally Field is fantastic in this as are Stone and Garfield. The villains are a bit more Burton though. So there is this strange mix of tone.
Great fun though. The spider swinging through the city shots were some of the most impressive VFX scenes I've ever seen. I was genuinely thrilled by them, which is saying something considering that we have seen most of them already. And I loved the soundtrack, it's just as crazy as the movie.

If you hated the first ASM, i don't think you will like this either. But these are definitely not as cheesy as the Raimi pics IMO. I love Raimi outside of Spiderman. I just thought his theatrical "removed from reality" style was wrong for the street based web slinger. The flat painted sets and lighting alone irked me in Raimi's pics. It was like a heightened reality broadway show.

This new ASM has real human emotion, and while it flounders on some silly stuff, the performances are top notch overall and keep you involved. There is real peril here. Sally Field is fantastic in this as are Stone and Garfield. The villains are a bit more Burton though. So there is this strange mix of tone.
Great fun though. The spider swinging through the city shots were some of the most impressive VFX scenes I've ever seen. I was genuinely thrilled by them, which is saying something considering that we have seen most of them already. And I loved the soundtrack, it's just as crazy as the movie.

I found this to be entirely different from ASM. Tonally and visually it was almost a sequel to the Raimi-verse Spider-Man than a continuation of the first movie.

huh, how can this be. :lol

which one of you 2 is correct.

huh, how can this be. :lol

which one of you 2 is correct.

..tut, tut..the answer to that is pretty clear Jye, neither of us is correct. It's subjective and based on our own opinions.

Personally, apart from the suit, I can't see or feel any similarities to the Raimi pics. Nothing.
The locations for the most part felt real, the acting was "real world" not "heightened reality".

Letting the VFX and tone aside for a minute. Garfield and Stone are not cinematically comparable to Maguire and Dunst.
The strongest part of the first movie was the relationship between the two leads, that's what this is about also, I mean
it's all it's about really. That and the continuing "mystery" of what his father was up to at Oscorp. I thought it followed on
from TASM pretty solidly, just with the Raimi suit thrown in to confuse things. It's a bigger movie no doubt and a lot more colourful.
IMO.

Last edited:
Thing is, if I want a rom com I'll watch one of my fiancees blu rays. Thats what these films are but built around spiderman universe. What I'm saying is, its spiderman for girls.

I thought the first one was exactly that. I thought it would be when the director of '500 Days of Summer' was attached to it.

Thing is, if I want a rom com I'll watch one of my fiancees blu rays. Thats what these films are but built around spiderman universe. What I'm saying is, its spiderman for girls.

:lol

There was just as much Dunst and Maguire in the previous version. It just didn't work as well.

Do people realise that a large percentage of Spider-Man's character and appeal is the "everyday life" aspect of his story... trying to maintain a job, keep a social life, and, yes, pursue relationships with women. He's not a Norse god, a government agent, or a brooding millionaire... take the Spider powers away, he is just your average joe, with everyday problems.

Last edited:
The first and second spiderman had decent villains and I always felt his journey was more about them where as the new ones are more about his love life. Maguire and Dunst weren't great together I agree but it didnt matter to me as it was the first time we saw spidey in action properly on the big screen. Yea the effects are dated but Defoe and Molina were great. All I've heard about is that Electro and Green Goblin are weak villains with crappy motives.

:lol

There was just as much Dunst and Maguire in the previous version. It just didn't work as well.

Exactly, the chemistry between Garfield and Stone is a vast improvement over the relationship between Maguire and Dunst. And no, I am not hating on the Raimi movies because something new is here, I still watch the Raimi movies regularly.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

The first and second spiderman had decent villains and I always felt his journey was more about them where as the new ones ar I are more about his love life. Maguire and Dunst weren't great together I agree but it didnt matter to me as it was the first time we saw spidey in action properly on the big screen. Yea the effects are dated but Defoe and Molina were great. All I've heard about is that Electro and Green Goblin are weak villains with crappy motives.

:slap

Spoiler Spoiler:

Is it explained why Dillon goes from Worshipping Spiderman to being his enemy after he has the accident?

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm merely saying that if it isn't a step up from the first movie ( which seems to me by reading opinions and reviews it isn't ) then I will wait and watch it at home. I was simply giving my opinion on these films compared to the earlier versions, which is what started this off. Who knows I might like it, I want to but a decent Spiderman movie should be fantastic, not simply good.

Back