Netflix Co-Founder’s Crazy Plan: Pay $10 a Month, Go to the Movies All You Want

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crows

Super Freak
Reaction score
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/netflix-co-founder-crazy-plan-100506677.html

Lowe, an early Netflix Inc. executive who now runs a startup called MoviePass, plans to drop the price of the company’s movie ticket subscriptions on Tuesday to $9.95. The fee will let customers get in to one showing every day at any theater in the U.S. that accepts debit cards. MoviePass will pay theaters the full price of each ticket used by subscribers, excluding 3D or Imax screens.

giphy.gif

How does that even work?

I pay him $10... I see a $13 movie.... he pays the theater $13... he's short $3.... now times that by 1 million people... or times 100,000 kids seeing 3 movies a week...

Even if the theater cuts him a deal, he's gonna have a real shortfall.

How does that even work?

I pay him $10... I see a $13 movie.... he pays the theater $13... he's short $3.... now times that by 1 million people... or times 100,000 kids seeing 3 movies a week...

they get a cut of the food sales

How does that even work?

Crows is probably onto the big portion of this. Also, its a gambit like gym memberships, for every person you have going to a lot of movies, you'll probably have 10 that don't use theirs for months at a time.

Crows is probably onto the big portion of this. Also, its a gambit like gym memberships, for every person you have going to a lot of movies, you'll probably have 10 that don't use theirs for months at a time.

they are expecting people going twice per month. and the heavy users of this ticket will in no doubt end up buying a lot of pop corn and soda, it evens out

The theatres themselves don't make money on the tickets, the concessions is where they bank

And it's a flawed Theory, that they expect people to spend more they wont

Well distributors get paid out of ticket sales, let's see how they like this idea if it takes off. You won't be able to use this pass on first-run movies for the first two weeks or something.

Well distributors get paid out of ticket sales, let's see how they like this idea if it takes off. You won't be able to use this pass on first-run movies for the first two weeks or something.

if you time it right you could watch a lot of the summer movies for the 10 bucks. get it while some movies are on their last days and others are premiering.

AMC tested that out for a bit. For $20 a month you could see one movie a day and got free popcorn. It was pretty kewl, we went all that summer seeing every movie they offered.

AMC tested that out for a bit. For $20 a month you could see one movie a day and got free popcorn. It was pretty kewl, we went all that summer seeing every movie they offered.

That was just a few years ago, right? Around when Jurassic World came out? I thought I remembered seeing a pamphlet or poster for that program.

I was excited when I heard about this as it sounds like a great deal.............until I realize I only see a handful of movies a year and they're all in IMAX.

We already have this system in my country (Turkey) since 2014 and monthly fee is $10. Limited to 1 movie per day, and 3D glasses are included in price. Also limited to 1 IMAX/VIP/MPX/4DX etc. viewing per month (it was unlimited before but they nerfed it) So, you can go and see 30 movies in a month with 1 special viewing like IMAX. Film festivals are excluded. You can even attend special movie premieres. It's really cool and I see no reason why they couldn't implement it in the U.S.A.

If you are wondering the system check sinema.com and I think it's a world first service in it's class.

Back