10 Things Not to Buy in 2010

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy cd's only because I want a lossless copy on my hard drive but unfortunately I have no further use for the cd besides backup. So I have amassed over 500+ cd's all just sitting there taking up space.I think I might just have them on multiple HD's and keep the space. A 1TB drive are getting very cheap.

that's a dumb list imo. if youre going to buy stuff, i'd rather have something tangible and 'in hand' rather than some data that is accessible online only.

Anyone who thinks that compact digi-cams will be out sold by SLRs is on crack.

Whoever wrote that article is trying too hard to seem significant.

I download (steal) most of my music. I am not going to pay for something I haven't heard, and I end up deleting most of what I download, anyway. Watching MTV Cribs made me lose whatever guilt I had about downloading music.

I'm really picky with music, and usually like only one or two songs off an entire CD. However, if I do like a whole CD after downloading it, I will go and buy it. I like having a hard copy, and the same with movies. I usually go see movies I'm interested in seeing in the theatre, so I don't have to download them before buying.

Anyone who thinks that compact digi-cams will be out sold by SLRs is on crack.

Yeah, I agree completely. Not only are they more expensive, but the general public will not be able to work a DSLR, and even out of those that can, many would prefer point-and-shoot digital cameras instead.

The whole external harddrive thing is BS. I am a techie, nerdy guy but maybe that is what stops me from using those online services because they now have my data and I don't trust any of them.

I will always buy "hard" copies of things as long as they exist. CDs, DVDs, Magazines, whatever.

Thats how I feel about things. I love having my real magazine to read while I'm eating breakfast or lunch or relaxing on the couch. I don't want to have to sit at the computer to read a story.

I'll be right over .

I was waiting for somebody to comment.

:rolleyes:

I will always prefer physical media to downloads--especially with the horribly overbearing amount of control they are trying to cram into it all. If the companies had it their way, we would never own anything--we would just purchase a temporary license to enjoy a digital file for a specified period of time, after which it would expire and we would have to pay for it again. I want a disc or book that is mine and that is permanent and that does not allow the studio or company that produced it to revoke my rights to enjoy it at any point in the future.

I went to play music in iTunes that was purchased years ago with my old account, and I flunked some sort of ID check and multiple albums were lost. I couldn't confirm my old AOL password because I had forgotten it and it hadn't existed for years. My CD player has never once prompted me for a password to prove that I had the right to listen to a disc that I had already purchased.

Plus, I like to arrange my books and movies on the shelf, lend and borrow movies to friends and family, carry movies from room to room/player to player, and listen to CDs in the car. I see why the executives want me to abandon physical media, but I will fight that until the end.

I just download dvd torrents off the net and burn dvds on my computer.(no need to buy anymore) Call me a thief, but the net and my computer give me the tools and i don't feel guilty one bit! (same with music)

(If i feel it's a film or CD that i really like and support i will buy it, but if it's movies and songs i've already seen/heard i DL it)

:lol thats hilarious.
So if a crowbar and a boot get me in your house. Everything in there is MINE! :lol

:lol thats hilarious.
So if a crowbar and a boot get me in your house. Everything in there is MINE! :lol

That's funny! I suppose the existence and accessibility of tools for burglary outweighs any moral imperative not to use them, and such behavior should be excused.

I personally pay for my media, but you can call me old fashioned.

the one item i say don't buy in 2010 is 3D TV. Unless you value a few sporting events and watching Avatar 100 times at home I don't think theere's going to be enough content to justify a$4000 purchase. By 2013 or 2014 I bet the technology will be standard.

I'm fairly tehnically niave... but is there a good way to just back-up CD's and get rid of them? I have my entire collection in iTunes, but realize that there is some loss there and wouldn't want to just trust that as future portable devices will likely not have as much loss.

Is a external hard drive the best way to go, or should I just keep all the CDs in my garage :huh

there is no way to get 100% the quality of the CD. even burning onto another CD isn't going to be the same quality and those blank cds are never made well to begin with. then copying it to a computer file who knows if future hardware will be compatible with old file formats.

the one item i say don't buy in 2010 is 3D TV. Unless you value a few sporting events and watching Avatar 100 times at home I don't think theere's going to be enough content to justify a$4000 purchase. By 2013 or 2014 I bet the technology will be standard.

There's a wide enough range of 3D TV's coming out this year that you won't have to pay much more for a 3D TV over one without 3D

But it's not for everyone, I mean, if most people still aren't getting Blu-Ray then they aren't going to like having to buy a new TV, plus a special Blu-Ray player and $70 glasses for 3D.

Even though I'm a techie, I never buy digital copies of any movies or games, especially since they often cost the same as a physical copy. But physical copies are much better since they're pressed discs so unless you're horrible to your stuff they'll last longer than a hard drive.

I'm fairly tehnically niave... but is there a good way to just back-up CD's and get rid of them? I have my entire collection in iTunes, but realize that there is some loss there and wouldn't want to just trust that as future portable devices will likely not have as much loss.

Is a external hard drive the best way to go, or should I just keep all the CDs in my garage :huh

I'd keep the hard copies in storage. There are pirating/ liability issues should you ever get caught with digital copies of media you don't own, and there is no way to guarantee that an external harddrive won't crash, or a virus won't kill the whole shebang.

SnakeDoc

..... and dont back them up on the cheapest discs you can find ... those can go bad too ..... :monkey1

there is no way to get 100% the quality of the CD. even burning onto another CD isn't going to be the same quality and those blank cds are never made well to begin with. then copying it to a computer file who knows if future hardware will be compatible with old file formats.

And there is my fear that keeps my holding on to them... also sometimes you can find used CD's for a lot cheaper than downloading the damn thing; even if you only want a few songs.

A month ago I got 14 CD's at a sale for $7 :lol I'd love to be able to sell the whole collection and pocket the cash, but I'm phobic of technology shifting on me and getting screwed.

Thanks for the advice Snakedoc and Occ... I'll just keep them. Its not like they take up that much space.

Probably will sell a lot of DVD's though; not like they are worth much and its been a long time since I actually popped one in. Usually just use something else.

Back