Action Figure Zen and the Art of Building an Astromech

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something? Yeah, he never is! :lol

Someone is over on the astromech forum estimating around $5000 for a fully functional and all aluminum dome. I had no idea! I'm just over a grand so far, but have a long way to go, so...

I understand getting the aluminum though--If I were to build one (would like to some day) I'd go with alluminum too. Especially since you can do realistic weathering since you can scratch down to the metal.

Finished with college, and now my full time job is looking for a job.

This project is officially on the front burner again! :yess:

Custom hinges ordered in April and my Magic Panel are coming very soon. I only need a few major parts for the dome now, so it's research time on how to properly build my astromech.

Ordered my rockler bearing last night! :D

That's like a lazy susan which the dome rests on in order to spin 360 degrees.

Today, I bought a set of DVD's which cover pretty much every tutorial and panel that went on at the first DroidCon in 2011. And the set only set me back $15! What a great community of builders. Three DVD's and one CD-ROM for only $15!

Also bought holoprojector lights for all three of R2's holos. And that was only $28 built and shipped. Another great bargain.

So my R2 fund took a tiny hit today. But if it makes it over $4000 within the next week, I'm booking a flight and a room to DroidConII in Indianapolis this August. I need to learn about this build...

Last edited:
Rockler bearing in the house!

Sad to think I'm already considering an upgrade to a better Lazy Susan after reading more builders logs and taking suggestions.

null_zps801e1d1d.jpg

they are going onto the R2 Unit !

a great price needs a great right answer !

Back