Prop My build of the "Proof That Tony Stark Has a Heart" gift (IMG heavy)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoggieDoc

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey, guys, I just wanted to share with you my endeavor to build the "Proof That Tony Stark Has a Heart" gift that Pepper gave to Tony. As you all probably know there was a prop replica released years ago that was a pretty darn good representation of this. Since it is a ridiculous price on eBay anymore I decided it might be fun to try and build my own. So here is my attempt, I hope you enjoy!

So I decided to start with the arc reactor. I found this AMAZING kit online sold by a member of the rpf forum name ThrowingChicken. A link to the kit for sale is here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/161797...to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Anyway, his kit ended up being the most accurate representation of the Mark 1 Arc Reactor that I could find, and he is selling it for a great price so I jumped on it. The kit arrived in a small box with several resin cast and laser cut parts, led lights, capacitors, and a green tinted acrylic ring. It also comes with brass colored tabs that are supposed to be used as cross wires between the red wired sections. I decided to use real wire, gold colored, as it is more accurate to the real prop.

Included on his Etsy site is a walkthrough of how to build the kit, which is quite simple. I won't detail the instructions, but I will simply show my pictures of the build in progress. At this point I am done with the AR and am in the process of getting a glass box built. I also either need to acquire the metal ring with the phrase inscribed on it or build one myself. Though the AR is battery powered at this point I will be wiring it to run off outlet power so I don't have to worry about constantly changing batteries. Let me know if you guys have any questions. If you want an awesome, accurate AR replica to add to your collection I can't recommend this enough!

Nice work! :hi5:

Looks like a fun project as I recall seeing a few of these vids on youtube by a variety of cosplayers. Do you plan on building the base and acrylic case as seen in the film too?

Nice work! :hi5:

Looks like a fun project as I recall seeing a few of these vids on youtube by a variety of cosplayers. Do you plan on building the base and acrylic case as seen in the film too?

I definitely do. I am actually planning on building the case out of glass since that is how it is in the film (remember how he breaks it on the ground to get the AR out?). I am in the process of trying to find the metal ring inscribed with "Proof That Tony Stark Has a Heart" on it. There is a decent one on eBay so I may go that route. I will update this thread as I progress. Thanks for looking! I know this thread doesn't exactly belong since it is a build, but I figured it fit well enough in the props section:).

I definitely do. I am actually planning on building the case out of glass since that is how it is in the film (remember how he breaks it on the ground to get the AR out?). I am in the process of trying to find the metal ring inscribed with "Proof That Tony Stark Has a Heart" on it. There is a decent one on eBay so I may go that route. I will update this thread as I progress. Thanks for looking! I know this thread doesn't exactly belong since it is a build, but I figured it fit well enough in the props section:).

Sweet deal. Keep us updated on your progress :clap

Just talked to a local glass company today. Looks like they might be able to make me a glass box of the exact dimensions I need (6.25"x6.25"x7.25"). Once I have that I just need to make a small stand to hold it inside as well as a base. I am off work this Thursday and Friday and I may work on the base then. Once I have the case made I just need to wire it up for outlet power and I'm all set to go!

So while waiting for my glass case to be made I went ahead and started on the stand for the arc reactor. I simply used various pieces of PVC piping and cut off the widths needed based off images I captured from the Itron Man bluray. I painted each piece the correct color, again determined from still shots of the movie (there are only RARE glimpses of the side of this thing so it was tough!). The base is a simple piece of pine (that has since been painted silver). Once I get the glass case I will router in a groove for the case to sit into. Once that is done all I need is the "proof" ring.

That's looking awesome man! Definitely one of the cleaner setups i've seen!

Thanks for the kind words! I am still waiting on my glass case, though:impatient:. Every time I call the guy pushes back the date to be finished by two days... first it was supposed to be Monday, then Wednesday, and now Friday. I didn't really give him a timeline but it is still annoying. If it's not done Friday I will complain a ton. Still trying to figure out how to get the ring done as well.

So the local glass company I used came through with flying colors (though it took a lot longer than I was wanting). Based off measurements I got ont he rpf forum I had a glass case made that was 6.25"x6.25"x7.25". It is PERFECT!! A few pics to showcase the glass display case and the stand I built for the arc reactor. Now I need to router in a groove for the glass to sit in, build the "Proof..." ring, and wire it up. Pretty happy with everything overall:clap.

Coming along nicely. The reactor is now wired to run off outlet power. I found a 3V, 700mA AC/DC converter and wired it directly to the reactor. I was then able to put the stand, base, and reactor together into one unit. I routered a groove into the base so the glass case can fit snugly and then applied multiple coats of silver paint to eliminate the wood grain appearance. I think it ended up in a nice, clean look. Now I just need to build or buy the "Proof That Tony Stark Has a Heart" ring and it will be completed!

Found this ring on eBay https://bit.ly/1rZXac8

Thanks! I have visited that seller multiple times and considered purchasing the ring... I even made an offer once but it was ignored. My concern is that the ring isn't perfect for the size reactor I made. However, I may be able to at least purchase it and use it to reverse engineer a ring of the correct size. The font is perfect, at least, and I could actually use it to essentially "print" a ring and then cast a perfectly sized one.

Thanks! I have visited that seller multiple times and considered purchasing the ring... I even made an offer once but it was ignored. My concern is that the ring isn't perfect for the size reactor I made. However, I may be able to at least purchase it and use it to reverse engineer a ring of the correct size. The font is perfect, at least, and I could actually use it to essentially "print" a ring and then cast a perfectly sized one.

No problem it's an awesome arc reactor

Inspiring :)

What's the diameter of the particle accelarator module (or otherwise knows as the bits that the copper wire goes around lol)

You want to know the diameter of the reactor as a whole? Or of just the small sections the wires are wrapped around? Big arrow or little arrow?

Back