Action Figure Zen and the Art of Building an Astromech

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stormy :thwak FLOSI

I'm building aluminum. At least for the dome. But just as one comparison, the three holoprojectors in aluminum should run me about $350 shipped I suppose. But a set of three in resin would be $75 plus shipping. So take that as a guideline I guess. I just can't see myself being happy with plastic holos on my aluminum dome!

Thanks for the in-depth response! Wow, this seems like a beast, but I can understand wanting to go big (aluminum) if you're going to do it.

Kind of why I spent $75 on a vintage calculator for a small piece of plastic that will go on my lightsaber :lol

Stormy :thwak FLOSI

I'm building aluminum. At least for the dome. But just as one comparison, the three holoprojectors in aluminum should run me about $350 shipped I suppose. But a set of three in resin would be $75 plus shipping. So take that as a guideline I guess. I just can't see myself being happy with plastic holos on my aluminum dome!

:lol:yess: I'd imagine I'd want to go full metal as well, but man, that's a grand on the dome and projectors alone! I'll wait for a few years, till I'm in a better possition to drop that kind of coin, in the meantime I'll live through you. :D

Only picked up part of my supplies today for work on the dome. Actually, I had the hacksaw in hand with extra blades, but put them back when I decided to just give the Dremel a try first. Then I realized I'll probably need that hacksaw to do the longer straight cuts when I get to the inner dome.

Splurged for a new collet nut kit for my Dremel since I got something all over the nut the last time I used it. Nothing but the best for R2.

Had no idea there were so many options for files. But I got a flat and a rounded...

null-79.jpg

One other thing showed up today in the post.

Really grateful to have this for the dome. :D

I'm going to just go relax and drool over this for the rest of the evening.

null-80.jpg

null-81.jpg

Yep, pretty much. Most people use JB Weld, I think. Others use simple spots of silicone to keep panels in place, and often drill holes in the inside panel so they can push off the outer panel in the future for upgrades and painting. Some use nothing at all, because the mounting hardware for the radar eye, holoprojectors, and other items go through both domes and lock them together.

So, it sounds like once it's assembled the inner dome is fixed to the outer dome. I can't imagine the work that went into developing these parts... very impressive stuff.

Honestly, painting is the part that has me the most concerned. At least on the dome, there is only the blue. Pretty sure the white only comes into play on the body and the legs.

This is a little further than I have researched, but there are of course, many options on painting. Some use simple rattle cans of spray paint, others use very specific mixes of professional grade paints, and the newest camp is using a product called Dykem. I've only scratched the surface on the topic of painting, but am already leaning toward the Dykem solution, because it is supposed to provide the most screen accurate color both in person and in photographs and video which may be taken of the droid.

As for "just the right blue," there is something called "hypothetical blue" as well as "hypothetical white" which many builders go after. It was proposed by one of the original SW prop builders (unsure of name at this time) who is a member of the builders board, and proposed this mix. I think it is called hypothetical blue because he wants to avoid any litigious issues with Lucasfilm. So it's hypo blue and hypo white for short.

Still, I'm leaning toward Dykem.

My major issue is it is very very dusty here in the desert, so I'm sure I'm going to have to build some type of painting booth with an air filter and reverse pressure to pull the air through.

Fun times... :D

Another suggestion to save som cash is to only get aluminum parts for those that are aluminum on R2. For the rest, go plastic or resin. Saves some cash and weight. There are a couple builders now making resin parts that have aluminum powder in them to resemble aluminum.

When I went to go see Star Wars in concert this is what they had for fun along with the displays. Thought this pic might help for inspiration.

22_zpse3f805e5.jpg

Thanks Shally! We'll see how well I can control myself. I'm going all out on the dome though, and staying well away from any other parts until that dome is done.

And Orange, yeah! Thanks, it does. I actually want to utilize my completed R2 in a children's hospital setting, specifically a radiation therapy department. Which is what I'm studying. Graduation in June!!!

:r2d2line

Back