Zack Snyder's Justice League - what's your wish list?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I've seen a lot of that too. Although what's worse are the trolls who simply type "ZSJL will suck as much as Josstice League". Probably also don't realise it is different, judging something before they have even seen it and purely negative for the sake of being negative. What losers !
Yea I've seen that too. But oh well. I tend to like Snyder's movies so I don't doubt that I'll love his version of JL. And there must be a considerable fanbase (bigger than what most ppl think there is at least is what I mean) considering that they're re-releasing BvS remastered and in new aspect ratio.
I really don't think people really realize just how much of the movie Whedon reshot. I've read that the theatrical cut was somewhere between 60% and 90% Whedon. My guess would be closer to the 60% range (just judging from the cinematography—Whedon and Snyder could not be more different directors, in terms of how they stage and shot things), but that is still a staggering amount.

Edit: The original cinematographer says that the theatrical cut only contained about 10% of what he shot for Snyder
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/j...r-joss-whedon-zack-snyder-footage-1202194549/
I remember hearing that only about 12mins of Zack's footage was in Josstice League. I have noticed that some shots that are in ZSJL (based on trailers) were repurposed for Josstice league with different backgrounds to be part of entirely different scenes.

I feel blessed that I never read a lot of the comics, so I don't have all the baggage of characters not being this, or not being quite that. I take a far simpler view. This particular take on the character looks bad ass and epic !! And we're getting a live action version !!

Look at it this way. Would you prefer no live action Darkseid ??? Or just continue to complain that little things are not quite right ?

Well, what you call baggage others may refer to as knowledge of a character's history. When you look at a character design you compare it to the source material, which is why so many love Batfleck's look, as it evokes FM's DK work. You also try to appreciate what the designers did to update the look, while remaining true to the spirit of the definitive work that certain look was built upon. You look at Darkseid and found it "badass." That's fine. I found the face flat and devoid of character, at least in that pic, which is strange because historically Darkseid has a very emotive face, especially when Kirby (his daddy) drew him.

I never thought my comments were complaints, just observations. And to answer your last question, just getting a live action "any" character isn't enough any more. Comic book movies practically run the show out there (at least for now) so there needs to be more brought to the table than, "Well, at least we made it."

But again, others may disagree and love it. I find it bland, sans the glowing eyes. It might work better in execution, remains to be seen.

Well, what you call baggage others may refer to as knowledge of a character's history. When you look at a character design you compare it to the source material, which is why so many love Batfleck's look, as it evokes FM's DK work. You also try to appreciate what the designers did to update the look, while remaining true to the spirit of the definitive work that certain look was built upon. You look at Darkseid and found it "badass." That's fine. I found the face flat and devoid of character, at least in that pic, which is strange because historically Darkseid has a very emotive face, especially when Kirby (his daddy) drew him.

I never thought my comments were complaints, just observations. And to answer your last question, just getting a live action "any" character isn't enough any more. Comic book movies practically run the show out there (at least for now) so there needs to be more brought to the table than, "Well, at least we made it."

But again, others may disagree and love it. I find it bland, sans the glowing eyes. It might work better in execution, remains to be seen.

Dude Zack Snyder's Darkseid visually speaking is straight mix from Kirby and the modern comics (New 52 and Rebirth), just like batfleck pays homage from Frank Miller works

The most original thing about the Snyderverse is Steppenwolf's design.
As far as history goes, he's lifting everything from the books just like every other CBM. The only problem is he's doing an abysmal job of translating it to film. Rushing the death of Superman so it has no emotional impact at all, forcing relationships with Bruce and Diana, even directors of the solo movies don't respect his vision enough to keep it. King Atlan's trident and design, Mera being forced to carry a cannister of water when she explains she's highborn and can breathe on land and water. WW explained she walked away from mankind at the end of BvS but her movies reveal she's been active all this time. Jonathan Kent allowing Clark to live in fear. Making Affleck's Batman, the world's greatest detective, so easily manipulated.
Snyder does not get these characters. Just making things look cool ,without any purpose, does not make a movie. Best example is the black suit, it may look nice but without any restorative powers why would he choose to wear it after his resurrection? The right choice was the blue suit. The Snyderverse took away the hope Superman represents, hopefully his cut rectifies that but the blue suit would have been the right choice to represent it.

Untitled34432322313w2.jpg

I'll be supporting this League!

As far as history goes, he's lifting everything from the books just like every other CBM. The only problem is he's doing an abysmal job of translating it to film. Rushing the death of Superman so it has no emotional impact at all, forcing relationships with Bruce and Diana, even directors of the solo movies don't respect his vision enough to keep it. King Atlan's trident and design, Mera being forced to carry a cannister of water when she explains she's highborn and can breathe on land and water. WW explained she walked away from mankind at the end of BvS but her movies reveal she's been active all this time. Jonathan Kent allowing Clark to live in fear. Making Affleck's Batman, the world's greatest detective, so easily manipulated.
Snyder does not get these characters. Just making things look cool ,without any purpose, does not make a movie. Best example is the black suit, it may look nice but without any restorative powers why would he choose to wear it after his resurrection? The right choice was the blue suit. The Snyderverse took away the hope Superman represents, hopefully his cut rectifies that but the blue suit would have been the right choice to represent it.

You've hit upon many areas I also took issue with. There's a chance the Snydercut uses the black suit restorative aspect, remains to be seen unless we have confirmation is doesn't already, somehow. I will say that "perhaps" Snyder was under pressure from the top to do it all NOW and wasn't allowed for a better paced turn of events. That being said, unless this viewing does serve as a gateway into an HBOMax Snyderverse series of films, I hope for those who like(d) it, the flick serves as a nice send off. Personally, I can cobble together good DC flicks from other places while I wait for the future DC movies to sort themselves out. I'll always hold out hope.

With all due respect but i dont think you get what's happened since Wheddon came to finish JL, you are saying that this is all Zack's fault but in your complaints there are a bunch of things that is actually warner fault.

He had a working plan to tell a history in a few movies culminating in a Flashpoint reboot, but WARNER made he rush the process, when zack left the production of JL and Whedon took over the movie it was Warner who made the alterations that the fallowing directors had to take to their JL sequels(Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman 84, Shazam, Birds of Prey).
I really dont think you hate the Snyderverse, but your complaints should be on Warner shoulders.
And about Batman detective work, he was blinded by rage and he was manipulated by LEX LUTHOR

With all due respect but i dont think you get what's happened since Wheddon came to finish JL, you are saying that this is all Zack's fault but in your complaints there are a bunch of things that is actually warner fault.

He had a working plan to tell a history in a few movies culminating in a Flashpoint reboot, but WARNER made he rush the process, when zack left the production of JL and Whedon took over the movie it was Warner who made the alterations that the fallowing directors had to take to their JL sequels(Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman 84, Shazam, Birds of Prey).
I really dont think you hate the Snyderverse, but your complaints should be on Warner shoulders.
And about Batman detective work, he was blinded by rage and he was manipulated by LEX LUTHOR

Idk, a bomb and a letter from Luthor and the world's greatest detective who's been operating for over 20 years suddenly becomes the dumb knight? Nah, I don't buy it.

Yes, the mess that is Josstice League and the DCEU is WB's fault and they ****ed over Ben and Henry but Snyder's ship was already sinking when MoS and BvS underperformed. Snyder defends those films as his vision so he had creative freedom. But WB saw him as a failing investment, sure they would give him the boot after he said he wanted a 4 hour JL movie. Anything he produces will be better than what we got but the bar was set very low.
Flashpoint's only job now is to end the Snyderverse and give us multiverse movies with guys like Battinson :slap

Idk, a bomb and a letter from Luthor and the world's greatest detective who's been operating for over 20 years suddenly becomes the dumb knight? Nah, I don't buy it.

Yes, the mess that is Josstice League and the DCEU is WB's fault and they ****ed over Ben and Henry but Snyder's ship was already sinking when MoS and BvS underperformed. Snyder defends those films as his vision so he had creative freedom. But WB saw him as a failing investment, sure they would give him the boot after he said he wanted a 4 hour JL movie. Anything he produces will be better than what we got but the bar was set very low.
Flashpoint's only job now is to end the Snyderverse and give us multiverse movies with guys like Battinson :slap

You dont buy that because you dont know what is Luthor is capable off, he at the same time ****s both the alien god and the orphan superhuman using only his intelligence.
Yes he had creative freedom, but not so much thats why there is 2 cuts of BVS for exemple,the better one is the director's cut not the one warner did release theatrically. No director have this much creative freedom as the studios who pays them, there are a bunch of directors that part ways with the studio because of that problem, Snyder as a professional was accepting things from Warner until he gave up when he was backstabbed by Warner when his daughter died.
Look at the MCU, james gunn and Taika have creative freedom but Feige has more, they can't put any character that they want in their movies without Feige approval.

You dont buy that because you dont know what is Luthor is capable off, he at the same time ****s both the alien god and the orphan superhuman using only his intelligence.
Yes he had creative freedom, but not so much thats why there is 2 cuts of BVS for exemple,the better one is the director's cut not the one warner did release theatrically. No director have this much creative freedom as the studios who pays them, there are a bunch of directors that part ways with the studio because of that problem, Snyder as a professional was accepting things from Warner until he gave up when he was backstabbed by Warner when his daughter died.
Look at the MCU, james gunn and Taika have creative freedom but Feige has more, they can't put any character that they want in their movies without Feige approval.

Ok, but just saying "you don't know what he's capable of" doesn't explain Bruce's ineptitude and dangerous assumptions in the film. Not something a seasoned vigilante would do especially one who relies so heavily on his intelligence. Even the ultimate edition of BvS does little to help the rushed storylines. Snyder's been defending and explaining BvS for years now. If you have to keep explaining your film years after it's release, it's probably not a good film :dunno

Ok, but just saying "you don't know what he's capable of" doesn't explain Bruce's ineptitude and dangerous assumptions in the film. Not something a seasoned vigilante would do especially one who relies so heavily on his intelligence. Even the ultimate edition of BvS does little to help the rushed storylines. Snyder's been defending and explaining BvS for years now. If you have to keep explaining your film years after it's release, it's probably not a good film :dunno

This....

tl;dr ...It's not what I want...

And that's cool. But please understand, Snyder's approach not being what you personally like or want does not make it "bad" filmmaking. Lots of fans feel it is actually excellent filmmaking. Which means it is to their liking obviously. But I'm just making a simple point that when a film isn't what you wish it would be, that does not define it as poorly made.

I dunno man it all works for me. I understand Bruce's motivations. I love BvS. I don't experience it the way you do at all.

You just get the good and the bad with Snyder. Take it or leave it. He really does make edgy films and that isn't for everyone. But guess what? He laid it all out for WB execs. Those 12 boards were written out for everyone. Look at what WB mostly does? Dark, edgy movies. Look at Titans. F bombs all over the place with plenty of blood. Oh and that Geoff Johns guy is an exec producer on it. Birds of Prey and Gunn's The Suicide Squad, R-Rated. Look at the next Batman. WB execs just wanted billion dollar box office for each movie. WB overreacted with a mostly filmed JL and they panicked. It's on them, not Snyder. They knew who he was and what he was going to do.

No one has to agree with me. I'm not saying it was total ****. It wasn't, there were good things about the film. Ben and Gal's performances, I'm a fan of Cavill's Superman but they gave him no dialogue in BvS, costume design, fight choreography, cinematography.

But if we're going to discuss a film then let's discuss it. I've made my opinion clear and backed it up but so far all I've heard is "I like it so it's the best movie ever" or "that's just the director and that's what he does". Create discussion instead of falling into the "Snyder sheep" routine.

Back