Xbox 360 General Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The NATAL Thread

the only thing that seemed interesting enough was the Milo thing. I hope and and dont that they make some more good games for it. Hope cause it would be nice to have a variety of decent games to mess around with using this thing, DOnt hope they do so I dont have to spend the cash to get it.

Milo would be interesting as an RPG game like Oblivion or Fable II where you could truly interact with the NPC's. That would truly be first person. Open up doors to dungeons, pick locks, fish, fight etc.. That would be the coolest thing ever.

Most of the press/pundits that had hands-on (or hands-free) time with Natal came away impressed.

Microsoft showed Burnout Paradise using Natal to a bunch of the press. This is what the team at Bitmob.com (ex-1up.com guys) had to say:

Next, Tsunoda showed us an unofficially hacked Natal-controlled Burnout Paradise. This doesn't mean there will be a Burnout Paradise for Natal, mind you. This was designed just to show people how sensitive Natal can be.

Tsunoda held his hands out like he was holding onto an invisible steering wheel, stepped forward on his right foot, and his car took off, going where he wanted it to go. When he'd pull his right foot back and put his left foot just slightly forward, the game knew to brake. It was such a small movement to detect, yet Natal did it.

When game consultant and former Newsweek writer N'Gai Croal gave Paradise a test drive, however, the game had trouble reading his steering actions. The footwork (gas and brakes) worked fine, but Croal couldn't steer his car at all. It wasn't clear whether this was a problem of calibration differences between Tsunoda and Croal's very different body types, or if Croal's crazy dreadlocks threw Natal off. But it was working just fine when Tsunoda was at the "wheel."

you can read the full impressions here: https://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfee...eet-Arms-Legs-Torso-Heads-On-Impressions.html

I'm excited to try anything on Natal. I don't want to wait until 2010.

Most of the press/pundits that had hands-on (or hands-free) time with Natal came away impressed.

Yeha, virtually all the gaming sites are unanimous with their positive impressions. When I show people videos of the MS presser (I'm a bit overly excited about natal :) ) the response is always "No way that technology is so far away, this is just video, they don't actually have anything running yet."

I'd be inclined to agree with them if I hadn't read all these (for lack of a better expression) hands-on impressions.

you too can look like a bawsack playing this :lol

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/DYuJivFFa-c&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/DYuJivFFa-c&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

the thing that interests me the most is the ability to recognize your head movements for camera control

example: in Forza where you can look around the cockpit/exterior (which is currently done with the free/non-steering thumbstick)

not something you're likely to fumble with while you have your hands full with the actual racing. with Natal? work it like you would in real life.

same for FPS. basically i'm interested in the possibilty to use this along with a controller.

less interested in the wacky 'play tennis with your hands' etc. concepts

Last edited:

the thing that interests me the most is the ability to recognize your head movements for camera control

example: in Forza where you can look around the cockpit/exterior (which is currently done with the free/non-steering thumbstick)

not something you're likely to fumble with while you have your hands full with the actual racing. with Natal? work it like you would in real life.

same for FPS. basically i'm interested in the possibilty to use this along with a controller.

yeah, I think it'd be cool like in Mass Effect to do the biotics powers you do the actual hand motion, like push out with your hand to push and stuff like that. Or actually throwing a punch for melee.

A potential issue about head tracking controlling camera movement in real-time is, simply, this :

What happens when you sneeze?

Another issue is motion tracking dead zone and sensitivity. It can't be 1:1 head tracking to camera movement because you'll either be disoriented or eventually turning your head far enough that you won't be looking at your tv anymore.

I don't think Natal will be any good for hardcore games untill a new Xbox comes out, five years or so.
If it does come out in the near future, I'm guessing it will be another party game, painting tool machine.

natal has some crazy potential. cant wait to see it in action.

This will be great for all of you who have no friends in real life....Milo will be perfect for you.

A potential issue about head tracking controlling camera movement in real-time is, simply, this :

What happens when you sneeze?

Another issue is motion tracking dead zone and sensitivity. It can't be 1:1 head tracking to camera movement because you'll either be disoriented or eventually turning your head far enough that you won't be looking at your tv anymore.

when you sneeze, nothing happens, because while the camera might get jerked around, your eyes would be closed

the second point is valid, but obviously it would depend on coding (i.e., camera only turns so far by head movement-- you cannot look at the rear view by doing a linda blair)

there are lots of potential 'issues'-- what happens when you're doing the invisible steering wheel thing, and you go and grab a glass of water?

for that matter, people will become fatigued when there isn't an actual steering wheel to rest on. i don't know enough about natal to speculate on how these things might be worked around, i've only seen that one intro video with the family in the living room

Today I told my wife over dinner that I plan on buying a 360. I was expecting a lecture on how I don't need a third console and whatnot, instead she simply asked what sparked my interest after all this time.

I went into a number of reasons, but when I got to Milo, she said "No F'N way. How will you feel when it kills our son and tries to replace him? F'N Skynet. You're not bringing that thing into our home."

:lol
:lol Awesome!

Eventually? Clearly you do not own an iPhone.
Seriously. :lol

This will be great for all of you who have no friends in real life....Milo will be perfect for you.

I totally thought that, like they could give him game AI so for the people that don't have any Live friends he could play with them online. Sad

Anyways, from a Kotaku article it looks like Microsoft is planning this to be as important as a new console launch, with like 30 third-party games for it, so it's definitely not coming next year, I predict Fall 2011

I totally thought that, like they could give him game AI so for the people that don't have any Live friends he could play with them online. Sad

Anyways, from a Kotaku article it looks like Microsoft is planning this to be as important as a new console launch, with like 30 third-party games for it, so it's definitely not coming next year, I predict Fall 2011

Just when nobody will care about it anymore. :lol

Back